Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much for a 914 driver.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been wanting to get into air-cooled Porsches for a while now, but as a college student I can't afford a 911 (or even a 912) so I've been looking at the 914's and researching them online and I gotta admit they've been growing on me. But I'm a bit in the dark on how much they actually cost. Websites like hagerty say about 15k should get me a decent "daily driver" condition car. ( In 1.7 or 1.8 liter varieties). But I look on eBay and I'd be lucky to find a pile of rust for 15.

I'm just curious, what should I be looking to pay?

Thanks.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

Really stupid question. Do you have tools and have experince working on older cars? Unless you find a solid well maintained car within your budget, you will be very likely spending quite a bit of time under it fixing what needs fixed.

Would suggest holding off until you are out of school or looking at something more like a newer Miata (a 2012 should be around $15K).
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

Yes I do have the tools, yes I do have time to fix the vehicle. And yes I do have experience working on air-cooled cars. I currently own a 74 super beetle.

If your not gonna be helpful why even post?
Mechanical issues can be worked out all.day it's the body work that I'm mainly concerned about.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

I would have been in hog heaven if I could have afforded a 914 in college, had an MGB GT that was rusty and on its last legs that I had to nurse all the way through until I met a guy working on 914s just after in 1974. When I saw them from the inside out, I never looked back and that is why I am here today. However that was then and this is now. The 914s are just too old to be dependable, and as well, are not a modern car any more.
I know that as a college student that you would want a fun car, so I would suggest a boxster. They are modern, dependable, have all of the creature comforts we expect, handle and drive great with great gas mileage, and are MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy than a 914. If I was in college, that is what I would buy (if I could even afford one of those going to college!! LOL) Figure on spending 8500 on a dependable boxster. 8500 will buy a running rusty 914 these days just to give you an idea. George Hussey DR914 autoatlanta
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

I paid 2g three years ago for what had sat for 7 years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With a bit more investment, revwife had a reliable daily driver.
With some plotting, planning, and investment

She now has a much nicer daily driver

69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

If you find a 914 that you can afford, the main thing that will ruin your Porsche 914 love will be the RUST. Look and tap the body carefully lower half and underneath. If you find any rust through, beware it goes many layers deep and will require a lot of repair. These cars were not protected against rust so search Ca, Az, etc. for cars for your best shot at a good one. As with any collectable car, what it is worth to you and what you can afford is what it is worth. Maybe a kit car would be a good option as a 914 is just VW running gear (except the 914-6) so performance wise there won't be much difference.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

"Maybe a kit car would be a good option as a 914 is just VW running gear "

The 914 is one of the best handling cars on the road - 4 wheel disc brakes easily upgraded to 911 brakes and wheels. Add good shocks and anti-sway. Already has low center of gravity with mid-engine. Much more than a VW. Just needs more power. That said - wait til you finish college and buy a solid one. Working on a car is not distraction needed while working on a degree. Been there. I have a Speedster 356 replica kit car - it is no where near handling of a 914. Being a VW bug it is tail heavy and light in front.
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

1st I cant believe George would dissuade someone from getting into a 914!
I disagree George. The cars CAN be made or bought reliable.
The more concerning aspect about ownership & daily driving a 914 is they are SMALL, and in today's ever more congested traffic with drivers in 3 ton SUV's more & more distracted by electronics and less & less skilled at driving due to all the drivers aids ...
You have to be a VERY defensive driver.

Wolfie quoted a common misrepresentation but then ...slipped into dad mode~?

Stardude's post was the most helpful but didn't answer you directly

Miker I guess just wanted to show off...

Youll find almost any 914 for less than 8K is going to need a fair amount of attention. Even those at that price point often will have some level of structural rust that may need to be addressed.
At the high teens & above you should find a pretty sorted car.
But as George pointed out you CAN get newer cars for cheaper, it just depends are you ready to be a devoted classic car guy...
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

914w, yep, you’re right. Did (do)just want to show it off, but noting that
1) they are available for not that much in not terrible condition
2) they can be brought back for not an ugodly amount of money (if you’re not focused on weekend show car). Know your strengths and limitations. Ask for help.
which brings me to
3) they can be a daily driver. Do it.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

The problem I have came across in searching for a nice 914 is that, as all Porsches, they have skyrocketed in cost over the last five years.
Folks want 2K plus for a stripped down, bare bone, rusty roller. 8K can get you a project with all the stuff. I'm thinking I missed the ball on these babies.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

If I had 3g. I’d jump in this one
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1975-porsche/6454996989.html

Or for 6 even?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1973-porsche/6462246809.html

But then there transporting, so??
69 Bwajaja

914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

Ive got $100 in my pocket against either of those cars being found w/o requiring rust repair in: Jack points, Hellhole, Firewall, Rear trunk and or past collision damage.

Just sayin.. you get what you pay for & it WILL cost more to repair or correct past botch repairs than finding one that has already had the problems addressed.

Trust me. Im the one you pay to fix them. Wink
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

BTW Mike nice work,
The stripes arent my thing & the spoiler looks outta place on a BUB car to me but to each his own.
Smile
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

914werke wrote:
BTW Mike nice work,
The stripes arent my thing & the spoiler looks outta place on a BUB car to me but to each his own.
Smile

My wife loves lace, and I even more with her in it Wink
69 Bwajaja

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Really stupid question

Unnecessary and rude. Really stupid answer.

My advice-

Find the dryest rolling shell you possibly can and build it from there. Most are shit piles on the east coast but I have happened upon one or two that would have made good projects in the sub $2k category (little to no rocker/ floor rust and fixable hell hole)

A driver will cost you over 8-10k these days and will probably have rust... remember the people "restoring" these or owning these up until recently did not have the money for a 912/911 so this was their next best thing and most of the time they were not done right if its an older job
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Really stupid question

My advice-

Find the dryest rolling shell you possibly can and build it from there. Most are shit piles on the east coast but I have happened upon one or two that would have made good projects in the sub $2k category (little to no rocker/ floor rust and fixable hell hole)

A driver will cost you over 8-10k these days and will probably have rust... remember the people "restoring" these or owning these up until recently did not have the money for a 912/911 so this was their next best thing and most of the time they were not done right if its an older job

I may be wrong.....but I do not think that he meant the original posters question was stupid.

At least I took it as......"this may be a stupid question....but do you have tools and have experience working on older cars?".....

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Really stupid question

My advice-

I may be wrong.....but I do not think that he meant the original posters question was stupid.

At least I took it as......"this may be a stupid question....but do you have tools and have experience working on older cars?".....

Ray

OMG.....I just realized how that could have been taken.. Shocked .What I meant was "I have a really stupid question".
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
andk5591 wrote:
Really stupid question

My advice-

Ray

OMG.....I just realized how that could have been taken.. Shocked .What I meant was "I have a really stupid question".

Wink Thought so!...and it was not really a stupid question.

So many people are getting into classic cars these days...simply because they have the money to (and thats great)....and do not actually have mechanical skills, time or tools.

These same people have no issues with taking their daily driver modern car to the dealer and paying what it costs to keep it in tip top shape....but do not realize that its TOTALLY different with a classic car and more especially so with a Porsche....and double so with a 914 even as compared to 911.

Its hard to find a good mechanic with knowledge....and the cost and frequency just for maintenance can exceed what a modern car costs very quickly.

This is not even to mention rebuilding, restoring etc...and correct...quality parts. The costs can be staggering. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

I continue to have the 914 fix up sickness but much has changed since I first started to do in in 1974. The cars are now much older and much worse!!!! I wind up investing so much time and labor in the cars, that I could have purchased two Boxsters for the price, and then, even though the 914s are worth more than ever, I end up with much more in the cars that I could ever sell them for. CRAZY. The point is though, is that the 914 is such a fabulous car that I cannot get them out of my blood, and will continue to save them.
However, again, a far as driving the car every day, it is just not practical, hate to say.
jdwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How much for a 914 driver. Reply with quote

Sorry guys swchool got a bit crazy. Thank you for all the replies. I never considered that i could buy the car....and keep my beetle whilst working on it.

However. I believe that i will take the advice of my grandfather here. "You have a working car, you dont need anymore projects, finish school first moron." (yes he did call me a moron, thats his version of "i love you kid"

I believe someone else said something alone those lines.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: