Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of fun! 😆
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Is like therapy... good thing i did it the shocks are gone and the steering shock was rusted shot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good morning everyone,

I need to get the grease out of this tubes it smells nasty. I been searching for how to remove the bars and greasy but no luck.
Thanks.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

The bars are the torsion springs. They are held in the beam by the set screw in the center of each tube. Loosen the nut then remove the set screw. You could put one of the torsion arms back on one side and use that to pull the springs out if tapping one side with a rubber mallet doesn't get them moving.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

If you remove the torsion bars,they have to go back in the same way they come out,be sure to make them so they don't get mixed up.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Thanks, any tread about how is done? I look on YT but i can find anything.
I hate to got this far and dont change the grease or the springs inside.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
Thanks, any tread about how is done? I look on YT but i can find anything.
I hate to got this far and dont change the grease or the springs inside.

Was the front end sagging? Is there rust on the torsion bars? If the answer to both of these questons is no I would not change them. As for the grease, pumping new grease into the fittings ever few thousand miles keeps the grease in pretty decent shape. If you remove the grease, you will have to puts lots and lots back in to fill the voids in the tube.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

If you want to remove the torsion leaves you have to remove the grub screws that are in the center of the tubes,removing the screws will allow you to push the leaves thru the beam tubes,mark them so they go back in the same orientation,they can be a pain to get back in.
Check the tech tip sticky for some info.
This Father and son team did the front end lots of pictures
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7736900#7736900
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

thanks, I decided to leave the grease and springs along.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

I had to remove the shift rod to get the frame out and this is what i found.
There was a tread here about the front shift rod, if anyone can help me find it it will be great.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
thanks, I decided to leave the grease and springs along.

Good decision, they can be a huge pain!
One of the most rewarding things I ever did to my bus was address the worn out components on the front end.
You'll be pleased with the response, the comfort, and the overall pleasure of driving a bus with good steering.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread-jack. Just seems to be on topic.

I think I really need to do this with both my Buses. The '78, if nothing else, has some rot on the torsion bar frame so it should be either repaired or replaced.

The '73s steering is kinda loosy-goosy now, and very recently (like the last couple weeks or so) has developed a bit of a "Clunk" when turning just toward the right. It doesn't happen every time, just occasionally and is very difficult to get to repeat. Though one (only one) time at a stop light I could get it to do it over and over.

I crawled under to glance at everything but didn't see anything obviously loose or worn.

I can kind of feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to be just below.

Any idea what it might be?

I've seen a few reconditioned front ends offered for sale. Since I maybe should just replace the one on the '78, it would certainly be easier to buy one all ready to go. Any recommendations?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

this is where i am with the front end rebuilt,
i got most of the parts just waiting for the sway bar in the mean time this is what got done.
I hope the put back together goes well...

this rust reformer works great
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

If you decide to clean out the old grease you can just pull the leaf springs out part way,so that they don't go pass the center block in the middle of the tubes and clean one side at a time.That will allow you to remove most of the old grease with out having to deal with getting the leaves back into the proper position.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
If you decide to clean out the old grease you can just pull the leaf springs out part way,so that they don't go pass the center block in the middle of the tubes and clean one side at a time.That will allow you to remove most of the old grease with out having to deal with getting the leaves back into the proper position.

Great tip!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

Great tip, thank you.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

I think i am missing a washer on the new pin kit. will i be able to purchase just this washer?

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
I think i am missing a washer on the new pin kit. will i be able to purchase just this washer?

that, to me, looks like a split bus kit (and a poor quality one at that).
who made it, and what is the part number of your kit? 171 is split, 171A is bay.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

You're right, It looks cheap

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end Reply with quote

im the one who did the thread with the tutorial sgkent mentioned (which i need to update!)

if youve already got the beam out of the bus, its really not that much work to just pull and clean them, its actually pretty easy. but as lil-jinx suggests, if you are worried you can just get the majority of the grease out by only going halfway on each side.

the swing lever (i think i mention that in my thread) is also pretty easy to do if you use the press made out of threaded rod and a bunch of sockets. Tcash and Colin both have really good writeups on it.

EDIT: check out pages 2, 3 and 5 of the weld busler thread in my sig

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: