Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Etiquette Question
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

If I want to sell something for cash and then ship it to the buyer. Do I trust the buyer and ship it first then wait/hope for the cash payment to come? Or do I require the buyer to send the cash or certified check and then ship the part. I think the right answer is to use paypal but I don't have that right now and don't really want it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Send the part when they payment clears.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Send the part when they payment clears.

X2... NEVER ship the part without payment first.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Appreciate the fast replies!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

USPS postal money order. It protects both since if it's bad they go after the buyer and if you don't send it it's mail fraud.

Only ship insured with a tracking number.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

You can validate money orders when you receive them. There is usually a number on them you can call. Ask the person on the other end to validate it. They can tell you if it has been cashed. It's not 100% but it helps.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Yes, the buyer has to trust YOU.
You accept payment and ship when you get payment.
USPS money orders are good if you want cash as you can go to the post office and get the cash before sending it.

Assuming it's not too much as the post offices here never seem to have much cash on hand...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

I really appreciate the responses!
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
USPS postal money order. It protects both since if it's bad they go after the buyer and if you don't send it it's mail fraud.

Only ship insured with a tracking number.

+1
This is the correct answer if both parties are in the US.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Set up Paypal and then close it after the transaction if its a substantial amount...Not a big deal to do.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

I’d also recommend using the buyer/seller feedback data on this site. I always check before I buy or sell anything, and I always leave feedback on how the purchase or sale went. I’ve had good luck and have always been able to leave positive feedback.

And when someone is trusting you after sending cash or making payment, be a good seller; answer emails quickly, and provide the tracking number immediately once you’ve shipped.
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Some excellent idea(s)!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I’d also recommend using the buyer/seller feedback data on this site. I always check before I buy or sell anything, and I always leave feedback on how the purchase or sale went. I’ve had good luck and have always been able to leave positive feedback.

And when someone is trusting you after sending cash or making payment, be a good seller; answer emails quickly, and provide the tracking number immediately once you’ve shipped.

Great comment and I do this if its on here...I take a look at some of their posts and see if they seem like an ass or not...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

I do not do paypal!!! Shame on you

Either buying or selling. Rarely do I use personal checks, again, buying or selling, unless it is agreed upon, normally money orders. Don't have a problem sending a money order to the seller and waiting for the item to come to me. Same as when I'm selling. Get the money order and ship the item. Cool
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

ChapinBusDude wrote:
If I want to sell something for cash and then ship it to the buyer. Do I trust the buyer and ship it first then wait/hope for the cash payment to come? Or do I require the buyer to send the cash or certified check and then ship the part. I think the right answer is to use paypal but I don't have that right now and don't really want it.

I don't like paypal either and have never used it... always ask for a money order or cash... Rarely will anyone send cash though. 99% of the time, I wait for the funds to arrive, before shipping. I do have it packed and labeled before the funds arrive... I then advise it was received and when shipped with a tracking number.

Some times, but seldom a buyer tells me he really needs the part i'm selling real bad and if it is for an amount, I wouldn't mind loosing, because he never pays , I send it first... I have only been screwed a few times.

Always read the seller feedback. It'll give you a good idea what kind'a person you're dealing with.

I only deal with Samba members in the USA... never over seas
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

Sorry for all that "never use Paypal".
If a seller does not take Paypal I do not buy the item. Period. Same for selling....my ads here (and on eBay) say "Paypal only".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Etiquette Question Reply with quote

For large purchases you can agree to an escrow. The buyer puts the money in an escrow. When the buyer receives it the escrow is released. It can cost a bit of money for it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: