Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Skip the DTM, buy Joe's book and make your own upright conversion. You'll be shocked how easy it is.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

VWDruid wrote:
check this blog out

http://waynesexperiments.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now there is a Mofoco head that might actually live up to its claims!
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

I run a Porsche style shroud of Turin.It was a mess prior to a skilled member here worked it over with vanes and the such,Runs good and cool now.So does the engine he rebuilt that it fits on. Both the shroud and engine..were Bergmann abominations...looked cool as hel land performed like a turd(shitty) Knowelge is power.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

May I add both the reworked pieces are fantastic now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
modok wrote:
If the car goes fast enough, with the right ducting it may not even need a fan at all Very Happy

It's the Fittipaldi 3200!!

That's cool. I've got his tires from Road America in 89 signed by him and his whole crew.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Porsche Fanhousing

Most do not use stock oil Cooler Location. So you need a remote cooler and long hoses, once you find good location for the Oil cooler.

The Fan and Alt cost more then a DTM

They do not place the air were needed on the engine - blow too afar back.

I was thinking of getting because Glenn says it will give me a Boner!!!!

BTY Emerson Fittipaldi was my idol back in the 70's with his 3200 and his two T-1 engines . Made A T-8 === The Tesla of VW Land.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

On my type 4 in a bug engine. I use a modified doghouse shroud. This shroud and a 356 pulley will push air through the heads with enough force to move crap from under the rear of the bug.
I'm Sure SOME of the Porsche shrouds can work ok but how much test/modify retest has been needed for it to work. I wouldn't risk it.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Garrick are you using the 36 HP shroud with dog house or you modified a T-1 later model, that you cut off the sides.

Personally I was amazed how the T-1 shroud was more then enough to cool the T-4

Do you live in the UK or NY type weather. Originally I had problems when below 60 f 15 c getting to running oil temp. of 170 f 76 c

How is yours doing. Interested in all Upright T-4 experiances
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Hi nextgen.
I'm in the UK. My shroud is the late model doghouse shroud. I use the cooler in the shroud in the original place. I have cut the sides of the shroud originally to clear twin dell's. I don't use twin dell's anymore.I use a 2" Single SU carb. Cutting the shroud sides and a bit of vane tweaking did actually speed the up the air flow at the sides of the shroud(right were the air flows onto the heads). When I run this engine I start it and let the oil get up to temp while it's stationary. 2 reasons. 1, I don't like putting revs into a cold engine, and 2, I did drive this bug down the street from cold but it took too long to get the oil up to temperature. I need the smaller top pulley to cool the heads when the engine IS up to temp as it runs a turbo, which does put more heat into heads than if it were an N/A motor.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Hi Garrick
Mike Sharp of Sharpbuild sent me photos of his cut fanhousing back in the 80's . He used the tape to show were to cut. Some of my customers either use the 36 with dog house or do the cutting like this one.
Work great. How his your car running??

GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Hi. Yeah that's how I've done it. Doesn't look pretty but it does work. It enables me to go for a good cruise round without it getting too hot. With the standard dog house I wasn't able to go much distance without a break.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Interesting, so you tried a standard late fanhousing on an upright conversion and it ran cooler with the sides chopped off??

Hmm. the air is traveling less of a distance in a smaller cubic area, actually compressing it over stock and I guess blasts it to the right places.

Like i said I used the 36 hp and it has a similar effect extremely cool running
engine. I wonder if the a T-1 would run cooler, lets say with the 36 hp fanhousing with doghouse. After all the bottom openings of the all the T -1 fanhousings are the same size.

Like blowing 100 psi air into a foot long pipe 6 inches in dia. vs one that is 2 inches in dia. Both having a 1" exit hole the smaller pipe will have a greater exit velocity.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

I made the same modification to a doghouse shroud when I build my oxyboxer. Works really well. A 7 row Setrab cooler in the (modified) doghouse gives me all the cooling i want.

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Wow very nice!!! More about the oil cooler, please!

Actually first time I heard of good review of a Replacement for the OEM VW oil Cooler.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Thanks Smile I cut of most of the metal on the shroud backside. Lengthened the in- and outlet on the oil cooler so they are accessible from the front.
Then I made the new dog house out of glassfiber. The whole unit is schrewed to the shroud, and lifts off with the shroud.
I placed a sandwich plate with thermostat between bracket and oil filter, and ran oil lines from the sandwich to the oil cooler.
Pretty straightforward, just a bit of fabrication.
(Sorry about the size of the pictures Rolling Eyes )

GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Looking good. Wish mine was that tidy.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Tidy, ha!!! Mine was the original with cast iron pipes and a very crowded engine compartment.

The fact you guys took the risk of doing something different is a game changer.

That is what my manual was about giving what I knew and sharing it.

You guys just give great info, that actually works. You saved guys a lot of research.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

What about the Klaus'. 911 shroud. I heard its very good but he is afraid to sell to a us seller. I don't blame him.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

I have never heard of the Klaus shroud,so this has no bearing on it, but the"I heard----is great" skeers the hell out of me. I hear all kinds of shit.yup shit, and I also hear some worse that that,yes I do hear some stuff thats right and some thats dead on.but when you hear something you need to try to consider the source. and how the source get thier info and weather the sources has a clue or not. Shocked no I aint pointing fingers at any body or any thing and not exclusive to shrouds but a broad statement. weve all seen cobbled up stuff before and just think of how proud the person was when they did it and got to go for that first ride.....now think on what thier blog says....and think about what your thoughts are....and how proud of your stuff you are...and what that guy with the zillion dollar farriee thinks......and....was anything tested?did it realy work or just wish full thinking? or ..because "jojomojo" did it it has to be good, because he addvertizes in the magizine...... possiably right inbetween GEX's add and bergrmans adds Shocked then comes the input from a engineer...... Rolling Eyes yikes!!
Ive had my share of thinking disasters, had one earlyer this week adding some more features to one of my milling machines.....I trust no one.not even my self....sometimes. Think
there are many ways to do many things, some of them even work. Cool
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: if the porche fan shrouds are "so bad" why do people use them? Reply with quote

Although you are right, I think there is some information of the shoptalk forums from German tuners. Maybe German look forums as well. They are supposedly popular in Europe. Even Jake Raby said it looked good, but he wasn't able to get one to test. Of course looking good isn't being good, but it has a lot of veins and guides for the air to go.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: