Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
jays58s wrote:
I know this is a wanted ad, but don't we all want a running/driving split for under $30k? lol

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2000999

He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting emails...

Dang, I guess I need to put up some ads!
FRK Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Time to selling these as 356!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2116377

Shocked

I have a few of this and I guess it's time to post them for sale in the 356 Porsche section.

Laughing
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

No comment...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2130904
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
No comment...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2130904

too much bullshit to even list.

but...sad thing is some chuffer will probably pay that Shocked
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

what's with these shock bolts? Looks like a washer welded to the backside of the fender? Looks ok from above....
http://www.oldbug.com/groffzwit.htm
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

YIKES

plenty of half ass welding on that one. interior? yuk..

42K will buy a nice real split window! Shocked
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
what's with these shock bolts? Looks like a washer welded to the backside of the fender? Looks ok from above....
http://www.oldbug.com/groffzwit.htm

Crap interior, broken and missing pan bolts, crappy welding repairs, numerous wrong parts, and who knows what else is hiding. I feel sorry for whoever buys that car.
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

The seller is upfront about the chassis repairs and provides excellent photography. The car is 65 years old. Those economical repairs may be the only reason the car even exists now. It's a Volkswagen for Christ' sake. Economical, fun transportation. And this one looks very nice, too. And rare. If you can't stand the shoddy welds, no one's asking you to crawl underneath it with a flashlight. I'd love to have that car. I'd drive it every day. Some of you guys just make me tired...

Last edited by oldovaldriver on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

My assumption is those repairs are OLD, from before when Zwitters had a lot of value. It wasn't long ago that Zwitters got no respect at all--just wannabe split ovals. But I always liked them. Someone fixed the car and kept it on the road. Maybe 25 years ago. I appreciate that. Now, a new owner can decide if it's worth redoing the welds. Or not.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

oldovaldriver wrote:
My assumption is those repairs are OLD, from before when Zwitters had a lot of value. It wasn't long ago that Zwitters got no respect at all--just wannabe split ovals. Someone fixed the car and kept it on the road. Maybe 25 years ago. I appreciate that. Now, a new owner can decide if it's worth redoing the welds. Or not.

You’re obviously missing the point, they’re wanting top dollar for a car that isn’t worth top dollar. There are plenty of people out there who do the repairs right and can justify asking more money, but this car isn’t one of those cars. It’s cool that the car was kept on the road, but keeping it on the road is the easy part. Most people are too cheap to build something correctly, and it usually shows. I’ve seen cars that looked just as good as this one, but going through it revealed something completely different. At the price they’re asking and what it would cost to make it right, you could probably find one done correctly for less money.
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

No hard feelings, and I do know this is a whine thread. I reacted to the statement "I feel sorry for whoever buys that car." I assume the seller will bargain down--maybe a lot--so that person could actually end up very happy. They'll know what they're getting, and it looks like a fun car. No one has to feel sorry for anyone!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

oldovaldriver wrote:
No hard feelings, and I do know this is a whine thread. I reacted to the statement "I feel sorry for whoever buys that car." I assume the seller will bargain down--maybe a lot--so that person could actually end up very happy. They'll know what they're getting, and it looks like a fun car. No one has to feel sorry for anyone!

I feel bad for people that don’t know any better that overpay for something. I’m not saying this is being misrepresented, but don’t think everything is being disclosed. Randy doesn’t have the ability to disclose everything because 95% or more of the cars he advertises aren’t near him, and even detailed pictures only tell part of the story.
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

The cost of redoing the car "right" only has bearing if doing so matters to the buyer. Not every car needs to be a concourse queen to give pleasure. If someone wants a car to just drive and enjoy, spending that premium doesn't make sense anyway. Keep it in the bank. The ad describes this car as a "driver quality... amateur restoration, an attractive car ...with many flaws and shortcomings." It points out the major incorrect parts and hints at many more minor ones. That seems fair to me!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

oldovaldriver wrote:
The cost of redoing the car "right" only has bearing if doing so matters to the buyer. Not every car needs to be a concourse queen to give pleasure. If someone wants a car to just drive and enjoy, spending that premium doesn't make sense anyway. Keep it in the bank. The ad describes this car as a "driver quality... amateur restoration, an attractive car ...with many flaws and shortcomings." It points out the major incorrect parts and hints at many more minor ones. That seems fair to me!

The wording in the ad may reflect the quality of the car, but the price doesn’t. My whole point is that the car is way overpriced for what you’re getting. The fact that it’s a decent looking car that you can drive doesn’t make it worth top dollar. There’s a BEAUTIFUL black split on here for not much more than this one, and it’s 10x’s the car that this one is.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
oldovaldriver wrote:
My assumption is those repairs are OLD, from before when Zwitters had a lot of value. It wasn't long ago that Zwitters got no respect at all--just wannabe split ovals. Someone fixed the car and kept it on the road. Maybe 25 years ago. I appreciate that. Now, a new owner can decide if it's worth redoing the welds. Or not.

You’re obviously missing the point, they’re wanting top dollar for a car that isn’t worth top dollar. There are plenty of people out there who do the repairs right and can justify asking more money, but this car isn’t one of those cars. It’s cool that the car was kept on the road, but keeping it on the road is the easy part. Most people are too cheap to build something correctly, and it usually shows. I’ve seen cars that looked just as good as this one, but going through it revealed something completely different. At the price they’re asking and what it would cost to make it right, you could probably find one done correctly for less money.

Case in point, for very little more you could have this - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132316

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I had the desire to own an early car I know which seller I'd be contacting to work a deal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
jays58s wrote:
oldovaldriver wrote:

Case in point, for very little more you could have this - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2132316

If I had the desire to own an early car I know which seller I'd be contacting to work a deal

Exactly, that’s the exact car I was referring to.
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

I looked that car up when you mentioned it, and I agree it's a better car for the asking price. Of course, until both cars sell we don't really know how big the price difference is. The black split could be very firm, while the Zwitter may be more negotiable. Or not!

On the other hand, the cars aren't quite apples and apples. Most people prefer a genuine split to a Zwitter, but if someone really wants a Zwitter they can be hard to find. Also, the split shown may present some issues to someone interested in driving. What to do about that awesome original interior? I'd want to keep it just as is, but if you drive the car it will deteriorate. So do you remove the original and store it (if you have space!), and replace it with a quality reproduction? That's an added expense in the thousands, which further separates the real cost of the two cars.

Ultimately the purchasers will decide for themselves. If someone pays the asking price or close to it, they may have their reasons. The Zwitter may suit their purpose exactly as is, while the other may take some effort. Maybe they want a car right now, for this year's driving season. Maybe the Zwitter is more geographically desirable for them. Maybe they just like the color.

I'm not necessarily put off by a high asking price, although I know that's partly what this thread is about. The seller may just be testing the waters, or leaving room to bargain. Everyone has their own strategy. All I can say is I appreciate the seller's honesty and good photography, and I don't have any problem with the car as it's presented. Like I said, I'd drive it in a heartbeat!
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2138354

this is absolutely useless.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

neither VW nor Porsche related...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2139187
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
neither VW nor Porsche related...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2139187
Did you hit the report button to let Everett know this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 134 of 157

Jump to: