Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

disc brakes - ftw
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

Good thread!

All too often the focus is on going faster in our outdated cars without near enough thought given to getting it all to stop. The conditions out there on the road have changed drastically since these cars were new! In the mid '60s the main highway north/south here in Alberta between the 2 biggest cities had one lane each way and a speed limit of 45 mph. It was the highest speed road in all of the province. That is what our drum brakes were designed for!

No one dies from not having enough power, tens of thousands have died because they couldn't get stopped fast enough.

My only concern with upgrading brakes is keeping the correct front/rear balance.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

Could have just been my combination of calipers. Four piston wilwoods and two piston strange, but this is what was required to get the pedal feel I was used too. However, a local shop said the squishy pedal is common, and I'd assume they have assembled multiple combinations.

Here is my setup. Prior to this switch I tried multiple combinations of residual pressure valves. The real problem was to move enough volume to engage the rear pads required too much travel with a 20.6mm bore. The 1-1/16" bore resolved that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Just getting rid of them Rubber flex line and switching to Braided Stainless steel helps too Wink

Had all braided stainless brake lines with all drum set-up but threaded area of stainless line wasn't long enough to seat correctly on the new calipers, used rubber brake lines that came in disc brake kit and kept braided ss lines on back.

Just put all new wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses and a dual circuit master cylinder on my sister in laws 1964 bug that sat for 30 years. Forgot how much fun realigning the steel hard lines to the bigger dual circuit master and cutting /flaring new steel line was.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

Here is a guy who upgraded his Empi disc brakes I copied him works great
oops forgot link here ya go

Link

Last edited by terryly on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

oprn, If you are concerned about "balance" of the brakes front/rear, all I can say is try it first with disk front and rear at the same time so, this does not throw you while using your original master. Why I say this, is I think this whole "Balancing" act is year and car dependent. I have heard now for years and numerious on both accounts, and yes, i run disk, and this is on a a 74 Super. Disk work great like everyone else's but I was able to keep my master. And , yes, I have had some "Racers" in the drivers seat and they said there was no issues with the brakes nor the rest of the car, friends...

But yea, Disk sure do look cool..... Smile RB

anobii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

Something that might help someone out with master cylinder size. I just recently did 4 pot wilwood dynalites up front and 7/8 bore wheel cylinders in the drums out back. I calculated the master cylinder bore by the surface area of the caliper pistons and wheel cylinder and ended up needing a 1" bore MC. By a stroke of chance i discovered a Mitsubishi outlander has a 1" bore with outlets in roughly the same orientation as a vw dual Master. They are even 10mm iso bubble flare. It even is a remote resivoir. Take a look.
https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Centric/Brake_Master_Cylinder/CE130-dot-46526.html
Pay no attention to the two other masters that are shown, it was the best link i could find Razz
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

I’m close to completing a brake upgrade on my 67 beetle which consists of factory Porsche 996 calipers and rotors using the CBPerf 2”dropped spindles.

The rears are Porsche 914, but I may consider going with one of the standard rear kits available that use Golf rear calipers later if I think it will be an upgrade over the older used 914 stuff.

Has anyone tried the 23.8mm MC from Coolrydes they use on there brake upgrades. Bolts in everything lines up for $150.

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/coolstop-brakes.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

I have the EMPI rear disc conversion on my 1970 Squareback.

I had to extend the parking brake cable tubes at the rear firewall by about 6 inches, but other than that everything was a straight bolt-up.

I still have the original master cylinder from when the car was front-disc/rear-drum.

My understanding is that the EMPI kit is designed to have the correct balance/bias when replacing a stock drum setup.

I have no breaking issues at all, car stops straight and hard.

The pedal feel could be nicer, but it isn't bad.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
oprn, If you are concerned about "balance" of the brakes front/rear, all I can say is try it first with disk front and rear at the same time so, this does not throw you while using your original master.

Yes, unless you are an automotive engineer it will be a trial and error process. I suspect though that there may be sites one could go to these days and enter your proposed data and get a close approximation of the outcome.
RailBoy wrote:
Why I say this, is I think this whole "Balancing" act is year and car dependent.

Oh ya! These are "custom" cars in the truest sense! Here are a few variables we need to think about:
Tire size - taller decreases brake power, shorter increases it.

Tire compound and construction.

Component placement - fuel tank, battery, radiator if used, seating position, weight changes with drivetrain upgades.

Suspension changes effecting stiffness, weight transfer and cornering.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. These all change what works well on two seemingly identical cars.

Ideally we would swap brakes from a car with a similar weight balance but there are precious few that are tail end heavy like ours these days!

RailBoy wrote:
But yea, Disk sure do look cool..... Smile RB

Yes again but that should not be the sole impetus for the change!
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Remember to get the proper master cylinder that is meant to work with the front/rear disk.

This dual circuit master cylinder works with drum setup or front disk/rear drum setup. Top picture is 64 bug with all drum setup. Bottom picture is 64 bug with dual master cylinder with front disc/rear drums.

Either way, be safe and get the dual circuit master cylinder.

Last edited by rs58rag on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes - ftw Reply with quote

VW used to advertise that their brakes were a dual diagonal system for safety. How do you fellows set them up?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: