Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nut removal trick
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

I had a nut that connected the muffler to the exhaust port. Rusted and I tried everything I had. PB Blaster, had impact wrench, etc. Didn’t have a torch. The biggest problem was a socket would fit because of the muffler flange, and an open end would round the nut. No turning radius for a vise grip plier.

My solution, for those having a similar problem, was to drill a small dimple, about 1/8”, into the nut outer perimeter, not the face, without going very deep. Then with a nail punch and small hammer strike the nut, in an angle to cause it to turn ccw. Drill another dimple as needed, etc. Keep working around the perimeter as needed.

This won’t work for every problem, but it worked for me. Hope it will help others. (Also doesn’t ruin the nut, other than a few dimples.)
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

John Muir has a similar method involving a cold chisel. It works.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

Next time, you might try a 13mm obstruction wrench and a little Kroil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

The obstruction wrench would not work. The problem was there was not enough room to fit a socket or closed end wrench, because the nut was too close to the flange weld. Have no clue how it was tightened, but the open end would fit, but would round the nut when I tried to loosen it.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to grind down the wrench a little so it fits, but they do work. Was it a stock exhaust or a header?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
The obstruction wrench would not work. The problem was there was not enough room to fit a socket or closed end wrench, because the nut was too close to the flange weld. Have no clue how it was tightened, but the open end would fit, but would round the nut when I tried to loosen it.

When it was tightened it probably wasn't rusted solid and an open end wrench worked.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
4118thing wrote:

When it was tightened it probably wasn't rusted solid and an open end wrench worked.

My thought exactly.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nut removal trick Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
the open end would fit, but would round the nut when I tried to loosen it.

There are wrenches that won't. The snappy "flank drive plus" is what I'm familiar with but there may be cheaper versions out. Yes they'll mark your fasteners up, which is something to keep in mind, but they're notched to grip the fastener away from the edges. The open end will break the bolt before it rounds the nut.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: