Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I found a barn door
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

I recently came across this rust free barndoor for sale. I am definitely picking it up. It is missing some parts but owner stated they are all inside the car. Had to take a spy shot as he didn't want any pics taken. It is an 11 window. I am not new to busses as I own a '60 15 wind and an early '64 21 wind bus. But I am mostly a type 3 guy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Cool! Get it.

FYI, it looks like the nose might be clipped, it has the wiper arm depressions of a later Bus.

Barndoor with no large dip in the metal

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool! Get it.

FYI, it looks like the nose might be clipped, it has the wiper arm depressions of a later Bus.

Thanks, will look into it.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
23 window mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Hi great find that’s right for a barndoor later busses have much bigger recess for the wipers
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool! Get it.

That was also my first thought Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Be sure to check the chassis number

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool! Get it.

teh nose might be clipped all the way up to the roof? windows look too tall

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

At this point, not very worried about incorrect parts. I’ve see worse. But thanks for the good advice as I will need it.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

My concern is that this bus didn't start life as barndoor at all. I don't know why, but the front of the roof just appears odd to me. Then factor in the incorrect bits on the front, and the fact you weren't allowed to take photos, it just makes me very suspicious. Just make sure it really is a barndoor before you hand over your cash

Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Agreed.
The steering wheel doesn’t look Barndoor. And maybe the bulkhead as well?
Joe Leroux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

I also don’t see the screw holes for the mirror
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

The rear window doesn't look barndoor. Confused
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Well, I've seen monstruosities and the rear rusty license plate holder of a barndoor be brought back into a full barndoor bus and no one has a problem with it. So this does not scare me, it is cheap and comes with a few parts. Yes it may not be correct but for the price, it will do. What ever happened to "Wow! another one saved?"

I'll keep you posted and I'll be back for advice, if it gets too complicated, then It will be sold.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

FWIW, I'll assume it's legit but with a few repairs over the years until you know otherwise.
Not uncommon...

Let us know what happens.

Check for a VIN # out back or see if it at least has a round transmission carrier:

This is not Barndoor only but at least it's Wolfsburg Bus so you know it's early.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Well, I've seen monstruosities and the rear rusty license plate holder of a barndoor be brought back into a full barndoor bus and no one has a problem with it. So this does not scare me, it is cheap and comes with a few parts. Yes it may not be correct but for the price, it will do. What ever happened to "Wow! another one saved?"

I'll keep you posted and I'll be back for advice, if it gets too complicated, then It will be sold.

We all want to say "Wow! another one saved?" And you are right any Barndoor, rusty or bodged is a save. The comments above aren’t about that. It’s people concerned that you might not be buying a Barndoor at all! But a latter bus edited to look Barndoor. We are just trying to help know what your buying.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Sorry for being negative, I just wanted you to be sure that you knew if it was a genuine barndoor bus or not. I would hate for someone to be thinking they were buying a barndoor for it to turn out to be a modified later bus, especially if you had paid a genuine barndoor price for it.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
FWIW, I'll assume it's legit but with a few repairs over the years until you know otherwise.
Not uncommon...

Let us know what happens.

Check for a VIN # out back or see if it at least has a round transmission carrier:

This is not Barndoor only but at least it's Wolfsburg Bus so you know it's early.

Thanks! anything else I may need to look for?

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

MORE pictures
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Thanks! anything else I may need to look for?

I was thinking about easy stuff to spot and:
- Huge Barndoor decklid (obviously)
- Barndoor back window someone mentioned above - It's a trapezoid instead of a rectangle

- Dash is a little pod for Kombis and Standards
- 3-spoke steering wheel
- Front floor is totally flat, not like a later Bus where it swoops up near the nose and has a foot rest on the passenger side

- Cargo doors
Outside has a handle with the key hole underneath

Inside rear cargo latch is different than a later Bus

- The front seat bulkhead is flat all the way across - there is no spare tire well there.
Deluxe but see how it goes straight across

16" wheels that look like slightly larger Bug smoothie wheel
No slots like a later Bus 15" or 14" wheel

There is more stuff of course but that is some easy stuff to id
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: So I found a barn door Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me but the rear window is visible in this pic and looks pretty darn square.

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I recently came across this rust free barndoor for sale. I am definitely picking it up. It is missing some parts but owner stated they are all inside the car. Had to take a spy shot as he didn't want any pics taken. It is an 11 window. I am not new to busses as I own a '60 15 wind and an early '64 21 wind bus. But I am mostly a type 3 guy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: