Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranciscoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

nice Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Germany! Awesome, make sure you try jaeger schnitzel. It is the bomb!

Looks like you've got a little work ahead of you on your 64.

so much work..
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I was poking around trying to figure out how to measure crank end play but I can’t figure out how to do so. My magnetic dial indicator base doesn’t seem to have enough of a reach to sit on the flywheel and index against the case.

I remove the crank pulley because the gland nut will require a torque meister

I’m going to scrub the case clean this week so I can find oil drips while it sits. I took a few photos and it seems like someone split the case at one point incorrectly. The engine is dirty, years of oil leaks and not being taken care of. And I feel like every piece of tin is garbage. Most are dented and torn in places. Hurray.....

Tips on how to check end play? I’ll dig through the “keep your bug alive” book for the shade tree way to do it in the mean time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Back before I had a dial indicator I made a thing out of a small block of wood. I cut it so it would sit flush against the flywheel when the crank was pulled aft. Then I d push on the flywheel and measure the gap with feeler gauges. It bolted to the case through the starter bolt hole. I got the idea from this tool:

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Hmmmm

I can probably 3D print something
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Did you call Jr to see if he had them in stock? Basically all you need is some way of trying to move the crank forward and back. If its really bad, you can check it by whacking the pulley side, measuring the distance between the flywheel and engine case. Then whack the flywheel and measure again in the same spot.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I haven’t. It’s on amazon for $15 shipped. I’ll order one and wait for it. I’m still poking around the rest of the. Are
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Highest my beam has ever been if you can tell by the wear on the bolt. Need to raise this up and the rear end as well at some point.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

gas tank removed and dropped off the bad gas at the local county hazmat drop off

rust

OG crayon marking?

one spot I forgot to get a photo of has rust holes but the underside is solid

underside is solid for the most part. "surface rust"

bulkhead will need some loving

I just paid for a front nose clip, I didn't get the bulkhead portion... just like half of the gas tank and forward to fix my rotted out nose.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

When did these engines get thermostats? I’ve only read about them and not sure which engines should have them. I don’t see provisions for it on my engine.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

It’s the stud on the right side of the case as seen in your picture
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1737000.jpg
Someone has removed it. Most folks removed them and the louvres on the fan shrouds and tossed them.

Lots of rust to fix there bud!

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Yup...lots of rust. Makes me regret buying this car but I have lots of time to learn and repair. Which is why I like threads like yours and others that show how they fix their rust or do metal working. If I can get an idea how to do it then I can probably figure it out.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Same here. Got nothing but time and some great examples in this forum. I’m just learning like you

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Man, I’ve had the beetle almost 3 years. No real progress has been made and I’m always on the fence about selling it.

I’m meeting up with a friend of a friend that has a VW shop and does ACVW stuff on the weekends for fun. Local too so I can hopefully get an idea on the cost to fix all of the rust. If it costs less or the same cost of getting a mig welder the. I’ll have them do it.

But I kind of want to redo the heater channels and pans. What the last owner put in are crap
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I’m back at it! I sold off my roof rack I never liked and bought gaskets and seals and stuff for the engine from WW. Also selling my chrome alternator so I can get a proper generator again. I’d like engine to look somewhat normal.

I have a new set of push rod tubes on the order because I think one is leaking.

Might also need to get a rear main seal if it isn’t hard to replace. I can already tell I’ll have to invest in a torque meister to get the crank bolt off.

screw snapped off in the head. I hope I can reuse some of the engine tins. Some look beat to hell

Inside of the valve cover looks clean. I don’t believe I need to do a full rebuild of the engine. It ran without any issues. The cooling fins are stuffed full of crud and a few are broken though.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

forgot to add. The flywheel teeth look a bit chewed up. Opinions?

(Not sure if you can see in the photo)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

If it starts fine. Leave the flywheel alone. Some engines have bigger problems that need attention.
If the flywheel bothers you look for a good used one.

It appears that you do in-fact need a new flywheel seal. That crud on the right side of the engine indicates so.

Leaking PR tubes will add to the crud issue too. So it's a good idea to change them now.

On the upside. Having to add oil constantly to your engine has kept the inside rather clean. Very Happy

Don't give up Don. These are fun cars to drive and you can't beat the smiles to the miles that they generate!

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

You'll be able to buy a pretty darn nice MIG set-up for less than you'll have to pay a shop for rust repair!

Resale on a quality MIG is high (look at C-list!) . . . buy a new unit and sell it when yer finished with it!
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

I’ve considered a Hobart MVP mig welder. I just haven’t gotten to commit yet. I have a small sub panel so I’d need to upgrade that to handle the 240v. Which is a two for one because I also have an electric car
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
If it starts fine. Leave the flywheel alone. Some engines have bigger problems that need attention.
If the flywheel bothers you look for a good used one.

It appears that you do in-fact need a new flywheel seal. That crud on the right side of the engine indicates so.

Leaking PR tubes will add to the crud issue too. So it's a good idea to change them now.

On the upside. Having to add oil constantly to your engine has kept the inside rather clean. Very Happy

Don't give up Don. These are fun cars to drive and you can't beat the smiles to the miles that they generate!

Good Luck.

I’ll probably just do the push rod tubes and not bother with the crank seal unless I know someone with a torque meister that will let me
Borrow it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: