Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dansk replacement header pipe quality?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm helping a friend out with her 83.5 water-cooled van this week. I traced a "loud machine gun sound at idle" to a definite crack in the #4 heater pipe right off the head. After letting the engine cool off, it actually looks like a crack had been repaired before and the repair has failed.

I would like to know if anyone has used the Dansk header pipe that is for sale at our favorite shops?

http://www.van-cafe.com/exhaust-manifold-for-cylinders-2-4-1.9l

In the air-cooled world, we have a negative view of the Dansk muffler products, but I'd like to know if I should expect cussing, and how much, if I choose to install a new manifold, or go for a junk yard find?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm helping a friend out with her 83.5 water-cooled van this week. I traced a "loud machine gun sound at idle" to a definite crack in the #4 heater pipe right off the head. After letting the engine cool off, it actually looks like a crack had been repaired before and the repair has failed.

I would like to know if anyone has used the Dansk header pipe that is for sale at our favorite shops?

http://www.van-cafe.com/exhaust-manifold-for-cylinders-2-4-1.9l

In the air-cooled world, we have a negative view of the Dansk muffler products, but I'd like to know if I should expect cussing, and how much, if I choose to install a new manifold, or go for a junk yard find?

Robbie

I used the Dansk exhaust pieces on my '84 and they fit pretty well. I think I doubled up on the 'collector' gaskets...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

They are Meh! Pretty crappy, but since you only need one pipe, I wouldn'nt sweat it. I guess what bugged me, is looking down into the pipe and seeing where the other pipe joined and how small the inlet hole was.
If you were replacing the entire system, I'd say get something else, such as the GoWesty St-Stl system.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
... If you were replacing the entire system, I'd say get something else, such as ...

http://www.vanistan.com/tuned_exhaust.html

$$$$

Welcome to the other side Robbie.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

I cussed so much my neighbor, who was helping me, sent his kids home.....and then we both cussed......a lot!
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

I replaced my whole exhaust system with the Dansk pipes almost exactly 8 years ago. It wasnt the best fitting but was not tough to make fit. Its still under the van after a couple different motors and still has plenty of life left. Also, Ive been soaking it down with peanut oil every 6 months or so. (Thanks T.k.)
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dansk replacement header pipe quality? Reply with quote

Another option would be to get a good used one from the classifieds for about half that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: