Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
16K driver is fair to get into the hobby. Nice clean and straight.

As we have discussed here before, driver and drivable are two different things.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

While, I agree it's a dry bus, I think there are some signs that this is not a daily driver. Or actually currently running at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

While, I agree it's a dry bus, I think there are some signs that this is not a daily driver. Or actually currently running at all.

Yep.
dantillon14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2138774

.thoughts.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

7K for a 15 window went pending quickly, I'm not sure if it's German or Brazilian from these images. But I really like all the glass either way Cool

dantillon14 wrote:

.thoughts.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Yep.

The missing heater tube? I’m curious what you’re seeing there that makes you think it couldn’t receive a little TLC and possibly run? The ad actually says runs well.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Yep.

The missing heater tube? I’m curious what you’re seeing there that makes you think it couldn’t receive a little TLC and possibly run? The ad actually says runs well.

It may run but I doubt it runs well with an aftermarket 34-3 carb matched to a chrome 009 (Chinese?) distributor, a cheap fuel pump and other suspect work. Hopefully it hasn't been run much with the missing fresh air hose.
Yes, those cheap parts can be changed and it could purr with good parts if the long block is in good shape.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

...a good start might be to hook up the fuel pump
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:

To me, it looks like it has a fuel line coming in to the carb from above and behind the coil, probably from an electric pump. The old mechanical pump is just bolted on instead of a block off plate. That's just what I'm speculating looking at the pic on a little iPhone.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

yeah, that or a gravity-feed test run hack...in any case, not confidence inspiring Very Happy

AS350driver wrote:
jjjjack wrote:

To me, it looks like it has a fuel line coming in to the carb from above and behind the coil, probably from an electric pump. The old mechanical pump is just bolted on instead of a block off plate. That's just what I'm speculating looking at the pic on a little iPhone.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
yeah, that or a gravity-feed test run hack...in any case, not confidence inspiring Very Happy

AS350driver wrote:
jjjjack wrote:

Only reason I say probably an electric pump, there appears to be a safety switch wired to the oil pressure sender, which I speculate turns off the electric pump in the event of an accident that stops the engine.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Ahh, I thought that was a detonator Wink

AS350driver wrote:
jjjjack wrote:

AS350driver wrote:
jjjjack wrote:

Only reason I say probably an electric pump, there appears to be a safety switch wired to the oil pressure sender, which I speculate turns off the electric pump in the event of an accident that stops the engine.

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
7K for a 15 window went pending quickly, I'm not sure if it's German or Brazilian from these images. But I really like all the glass either way Cool

dantillon14 wrote:

.thoughts.

Going off the front seat mounts and the bulkhead with half-risen sun, I'd say it's more likely a '62, unless there's some non-German variation or something else I might have overlooked. Still, not bad.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

my money is on Brazilian given the euro-ish tailights, cludged turn signal indicator and the steering lock which looks like a brazillian model too. Not sure how the front seats actually mount.

I could be completely wrong given the graininess of photo's wouild be interested to hear other opinions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
my money is on Brazilian given the euro-ish tailights, cludged turn signal indicator and the steering lock which looks like a brazillian model too. Not sure how the front seats actually mount.

I could be completely wrong given the graininess of photo's wouild be interested to hear other opinions

I would even wager a bastardization of several buses, seeing how the bulkhead has '61-'62 upper seat mounts, while the pedestal and floor looked to have been replaced/modified...who knows. Turn signals and other bits could be swapped fairly easily, especially over time, but bulkheads take a little oomph.

Still, you hit the nail on the head: pictures and their quality suck!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Im guessing brazillian as well. Flat decklid and it looks like it has high hinges.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Yep.

It may run but I doubt it runs well with an aftermarket 34-3 carb matched to a chrome 009 (Chinese?) distributor, a cheap fuel pump and other suspect work. Hopefully it hasn't been run much with the missing fresh air hose.
Yes, those cheap parts can be changed and it could purr with good parts if the long block is in good shape.

YEP. It might run, and even drive around a little, but it isn't likely to be a DRIVER. That is the difference, and that is what takes time and money to change. And that is why it is not worth the ask.

My favorite engine room detail is the power lead to the distributor being clamped neatly under the sharp edge of a metal hose clamp to the metal fan shroud. No potential for issues there!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Im guessing brazillian as well. Flat decklid and it looks like it has high hinges.

I couldn't see the hinges in the photos but it has Brazilian cargo doors so my guess is high hinge and it's a Brazilian Bus.

The upper front seat mounts are the 61-62 3-position style but not sure if that's what Brazilian Buses use.

It could be totally hacked together from different Buses as someone else said.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Clara wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Yep.

I tend to be a bit skeptical, and sometimes that keeps me out of trouble.
They say it runs well, and may, in their opinion. It does not look like daily driver status. "Needing a little TLC" is not the same as being daily driver capable.

The fresh air hose is the first item- I have test started motors without them... but just to see if it will start. Driving around w/o is bad for the motor, as it can overheat quickly. It immediately tells me 'runs good' means they started it up, but that's about all. I hope. Wink
Fresh air hoses are cheap, and easy to install. What other corners have been cut?

Then I saw the fuel pump pumping from itself to itself. hm. I don't see an electric pump lurking in the dark, but there could be one. Could be gravity fed out of a can. In which case that tells me the fuel lines are clogged, and you still need to pull and clean the tank, or replace it. This is normal with a bus that has sat to get rust/varnish in the tank. The little TLC to be a daily driver is getting bigger.

Wiring is a bit ratty, too.

Is a fairly dry limper driver OTW kombi camper worth 16800?
Just be aware it needs work for more than driving onto a trailer.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

^^^ Yep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Page 416 of 509

Jump to: