Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug hearse build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Have not been working on the car, but have revised what I am doing. Initially had 1/8" steel adapter rings that I was going to weld them to the wheels. Decided that was more hassle than it was worth. Found a guy to make adapters with a CNC and using aluminum. Will use 1/2" round steel stock for stand offs to attache the adapters to the wheels using 10-32 flat head screws or something a little bigger. Keep in mind that you need to have 4 semi-circles cut into the adapters to provide access to the lug bolts.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

How much snow did the "blizzard of 2016 " drop on you ??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

We were on the edge of the storm. Only got about 8 to 10". Drive 40 minutes south and they got 2 feet. 40 minutes west and maybe 3 to 4".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

terrible week in Florida ; went down to 60 . Twisted Evil

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Yeah - her smartass cousin is down there. Sent her a pic of a ruler in the grass measuring "snow"......
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Finally getting a little work done on the hearse. Nothing major... Hearse box vents are cut. Had to rework the rafters a little to get my sheet metal roof to fit properly. Hoping to get a couple hours a week on it.

Expecting to get the cab in for final body/paint before year end....Finally have my own paint/body booth at my shop, but its currently occupied by a 63 bug body that is almost ready for primer.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Been on hold too long....Finally getting back to it. Have rethought a couple things and working through the details before making sawdust...Should be making some headway in the next couple weeks.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Bout time.😀
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Bout time.😀

Kiss my ass Laughing You know what they say about best laid plans.... Bought a shop to primarily work on my own cars with the intent of doing a "little" customer work to feed my habit. Currently getting close to wrapping up a body off resto, another car with a full interior resto (with interior repaint), another car waiting to be media blasted for body work, color change and new interior, another vert for pretty much the same AND a new top, a Ghia that I forget what all it needs, plus a waiting list of about 5 or 6 more customer cars.... Shocked It's just a hobby.....

My wife has "gently" been encouraging me to get the hearse done and other folks ask how its coming. Embarassed

BUT my cabinet maker buddy just hired his grandson to help in his shop, so the two of them can get the wood work on the hearse pretty much done with minimal help from me... So maybe will make some progress over the next few months.....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:
Bout time.😀

Kiss my ass Laughing ..

At least get it done.... in time.. to be able to use it for it's ultimate purpose.. Shocked ... Laughing

... Sometimes.. time away... gives clarity..

Let the buzz saw eat... Wink

Popcorn

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

What you all have been through when letting a project sit for any length of time is remembering what you were planning.....Fortunately, the bulk of the heavy lifting has been done a while ago, so it's just some of the details....Going to swing by his shop later and get battery chargers on the 2 batteries and hoping they arent toast. Have a pair of Oddysseys in it and I think its been at least a year since I charged them....
moonman94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Really nice job with the metal work on the "cab" Gives me a plan when I redo my trug conversion and rip out the previous owner's wood, fiberglass and rust combo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Update us!😀
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

It's sitting next to our camper under a pavilion with a car cover on it. I just hired a second full time tech at the shop. so if I can get my backlog cleaned up, I might have some time this winter. At the moment, I ONLY have 6 customer cars in the shop with another dozen or two on the waiting list.....

My big problem is that I sold my "real" business early this year and I need to complete transitioning my shop from a glorified hobby shop to a full blown profitable business. This is still gonna take a few more months to get all of our processes ironed out.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

dead bug, dead bug, whats cha gonna do, what cha gonna do when they come for you..... Shocked Confused
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Actually was looking it over with my new tech today.....hmmmmm maybe before too long
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Ours is now 17 years. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Long story, but I may be abandoning this project and put it up for sale in the near future. Have to think it through a little more and also see what parts are where, but all of the heavy lifting is done. I believe that I have pretty much all parts to complete it. This was running and driveable, but I would want to start the engine back up again just to make sure everything is good. Cab needs final bodied. Rear box area needs trimmed out, but have the fender arches and fiberglass rear fenders. Any interest? Pretty sure this thread has most of the details.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Sad to hear. Your one of the forum toppers. Current pics would be cool too.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Right now, the cab, doors and hood are in my storage garage. The car is under a cover under a pavilion and the fenders are in the rafters. The post from 7/15 was about where it was last. What I will do at some point over the winter is put it pretty much together and round up all the documentation and parts I have stashed for it. What sucks is that if someone wanted to rat it, the thing could probably be finished in a couple weeks, but that wasnt my vision and I am not going there with it.

As usual with something like this, I am gonna take a huge hit on it, but I could use the space. I have 5 VWs on the road and with the shop as busy as it is, I have maybe put 1000 miles total on them this year. Probably going to get rid of the maroon woodie as well (great car, but the build was the fun part). But we will never part with her 61, my 65, the cream woodie and the manx clone. And I still am building the 66 patina Suby bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: