Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TYKA QSP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Hi,

We are going to USA for a trip this March (5-25). We have to plan our stay and places to visit.
The know destinations are CB, FAT, Empi, Bergs etc, but we would be grateful for any inforations about VW junkyards, events, people and places to visit, where we could find good and interesting VW stuff (mainly aircooled VW but also hot rod, msce cars, drag racing, rockabilly etc.).

Any advices about mobile prepaid internet or places to stay (hotels, motels etc).
We will be driving around California from San Francisco up to LA and than for Bugorama in Arizona.

Thank you for any advices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

One of the nicer events in your timeframe and locale is the annual "Meet in the Middle" event north of Santa Barbara in March. Date isn't set yet. About 200+ cars, raffles, lots of great people.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Quote:
around California from San Francisco up to LA

Uh oh - I will suggest Waze as your first stop.

Free internet at a lot of chains restaurants but coming to America and eating at chains is like forgetting Dyngus Day
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Arizona Bug O Rama good choice.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Pomona Swap is on the 4th, missed it by one day Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
One of the nicer events in your timeframe and locale is the annual "Meet in the Middle" event north of Santa Barbara in March. Date isn't set yet. About 200+ cars, raffles, lots of great people.

Depends on what kinds of VW's your into;
https://i2.wp.com/box5226.temp.domains/~abuslife/w...=962%2C641

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AN...8xznLX8AOI

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/54/23/f6/5423f688a7985ec1d8d97fe2bdeae44a--bus-camper-campers.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c3/83/90/c3839048c063723129d78ee5a410a531.jpg

Lots of patina and pan draggers out there. I'm not into that scene.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

I think that the swap meet at Bugorama will meet most of your needs.

Junkyards have been picked clean, sadly.

If you are driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I recommend that you use Hwy 101 instead of Interstate 5 (for better scenery).

Attending the "Meet In The Middle" event is a very good idea.

Can't you stay longer? The weather gets better in April!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TYKA QSP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Grate info, thank you.

We are defo at Bugorama on 18th as there are racing going on and that's most important for me is there drag racing or circuit?

Any info about where good Car rent company in San Francisco (VAN but not a panelvan)

Meet In The Middle looks good but we've got flight on 25th from SF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

Unfortunately even here in SoCal there isn't any VW "junkyards" (at least that I've found). There is one place in Lake Elsinore I hit up once in awhile, but they have ZERO pre 68ish cars, and very few loose early parts. If you have a fat chick, they *might* have something for you.

Pomona swap meet has been pretty good to me but that's VW guys and gals with "collections" they are selling. Still, some good deals to be had.

Deals pop up on Craigslist if your fast in this area. I recommend checking at least once a day while you travel. Good deals go fast.

If you go into the high desert here, there are some VW hordes being broke up for parts. Again hit up CL.

I'm still glad I'm in this area for Vdubbin' because anywhere else that's not the SW USA has got to be insanely hard to find used parts.
TYKA QSP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: USA/California Trip, where to go (VW junk yards, shops, events) Reply with quote

We will have acces to internet so e-bay, thesamba and Craigslist will be visited often.

All advices are welcome.

www.QuickStickVW.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: