Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
The needle does a full sweep when you turn the key on.

When did this little feature creep into the mainstream? It seems a little silly to me but there must be some reason for it originally. I suspect today it's just a gimmick to seem high tech/racy.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one that did that 10 years+ ago. I just figured it's calibrating itself

this one, as soon as it has power, it sweeps then goes to 0.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the Autometer syndrome. Their tachs don't go to 0 when the ignition is off. Then, when the key is turned, the sweep to find 0.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was avoiding buying one of these because I need to save cash right now......but DAMN they look so good and that video makes me want the red needle even more.
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:
I was avoiding buying one of these because I need to save cash right now......but DAMN they look so good and that video makes me want the red needle even more.

Yeah I just ordered a white needle one- looks like a bit of a wait till the next run is ready.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting on ISP West to finish their tachs I found this for $150 about a month back...works pretty good:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

How do you guys run your wires for the ISP tach? Just along the main harness down the driver side heater channel and out the back?
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

If you have a stick shift FI car, you already have a red wire leading from under the dash to the engine bay. Both wends are clipped off, but you can peel back a little insulation, and add a wire segment of the required length and connector. The rear end is in a sheath with your oil pressure sender wire.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
How do you guys run your wires for the ISP tach? Just along the main harness down the driver side heater channel and out the back?

Jup....
Hip2besquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

Where is that wire under the dash again ? Can you take a

richie
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

Hip2besquare wrote:

richie

Hello Richie,

you mean the "signal" from the ignition coil ? There is no cable under the dash...
You have to install a new cable from the engine
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

Nikon-User wrote:
Hip2besquare wrote:

richie

Hello Richie,

you mean the "signal" from the ignition coil ? There is no cable under the dash...
You have to install a new cable from the engine

Unless this is a manual shift FI car, in which case there is a red wire within the harness, clipped at both ends, that the automatics made use of for the electric AAR. I think that's the wire he is asking about. I don't 'have a photo under the dash, but a little work with a flashlight while doing Type-3-under-dash-yoga, made it evident.
Hip2besquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

wow I think I found it Im just in the process of checking continuity on it from the oil pressure switch harness to the dash to make sure but wow what a time saver thanks KTphil

RICHIE NY
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but since a few guys here had installed the new ISP tach, I thought you could help me. I just installed mine and it works great. The thing is, when I turn on the lights, the backlighting doesn't match the other gauges. It isn't green like the oe gauges. Did any of you have this problem? How did you fix it? I know there are little bulb sleeves to change the colors, but I wasn't sure if that would make it match or make it worse.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

bkeith85 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but since a few guys here had installed the new ISP tach, I thought you could help me. I just installed mine and it works great. The thing is, when I turn on the lights, the backlighting doesn't match the other gauges. It isn't green like the oe gauges. Did any of you have this problem? How did you fix it? I know there are little bulb sleeves to change the colors, but I wasn't sure if that would make it match or make it worse.

Yes, that is the best fix out there - the bulb condom.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Type-3 tachometer by ISP West Reply with quote

bkeith85 wrote:

See this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740220
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: