Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nitrogen tire fill
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
They also test tires with straight air (21% O2, 78% N2, 1% other) in them, so testing tires with 44% oxygen and testing unmounted tires just adds additional data points.

Geeze, they don't make that easy find in the executive summary or elsewhere in the text but I do see it in Figures 3 and 4.

I wish they would have taken a stab at scaling their artificial aging process to real time though. IOW, are we talking about a nitrogen filled tire lasting 50 years vs 20 for a non-nitrogen filled or something that's more in the realm of how long one would use a tire before the tread wears out?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
They also test tires with straight air (21% O2, 78% N2, 1% other) in them, so testing tires with 44% oxygen and testing unmounted tires just adds additional data points.

Geeze, they don't make that easy find in the executive summary or elsewhere in the text but I do see it in Figures 3 and 4.

I wish they would have taken a stab at scaling their artificial aging process to real time though. IOW, are we talking about a nitrogen filled tire lasting 50 years vs 20 for a non-nitrogen filled or something that's more in the realm of how long one would use a tire before the tread wears out?

I would hope that such a real world test is in progress. For owners of classic cars, it would be nice to get the life up to a dozen or even 15 years as the annual mileage is pretty low for many of us and I can pretty much guaranty you a lot of the people with classic cars are running with tires ten years or more old.

It would actually be really easy to come up with a test for this, maybe 20 rigs with each tire on each rig filled with a different percentage of N2 (like 78%, 85%, 90%, & 95%), plus a spare that wouldn't be run except in emergencies. I wouldn't want to run a tire with less nitrogen than 78% though as I think you would be asking for trouble to do so. Just rotate the tires as recommend by the manufacture and then either when the tread is worn out or at some date like 6, 8, or 10 years, do destructive testing on the tires.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

not possible

the tread gets hard after 6-7 years, rendering the car unsafe

unless you plan to rub nitrogen on the tread every hour... Wink
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Maybe one could build nitrogen squirters to spray nitrogen on the tires as you drive.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

It seems clear the rationale behind this thread is to explore whether or not there's any benefits to be gained -- from a safety standpoint -- in having nitrogen as a tire-life extender.

Of all the cars on the road, our vehicles seem particularly supceptible to infrequent use, meaning some might use tires with great tread left after several years strictly for lack of miles driven.

If anyone reading were to avoid a blowout like the above for getting any more safe years or miles before a blowout, then this information seems pretty important. Some of us are interested.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

100% Nitorgen in a tire is the answer to a question nobody asked.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
not possible

the tread gets hard after 6-7 years, rendering the car unsafe

unless you plan to rub nitrogen on the tread every hour... Wink

You know the tires on my 3/4 ton will turn 16 this year. The rubber is still amazingly flexible, slight crazing of the sidewalls with no serious cracks to be seen in the sidewalls or tread, owned tires that looked worse after three years of service. Load range E tires, but usually they only carry 40-45 psi as the truck seldom carries much of a load and only very seldom does it get driven over 60 miles per hour or goes more than 10 miles at a stretch. I would certainly feel better if they had been filled with nitrogen from day 1. Guaranty that a lot of people in the woods of Oregon have tires a lot older and uglier and the earth hasn't opened up and swallowed them yet.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

So......... if "normal" air is 78% Nitrogen and 21% oxygen ......

And
If the oxygen molecules are smaller and migrate out through the rubber.....

And
Over 10-12 years of topping off lost air.......

Isn't the remaining gas in your tire largely Nitrogen?

Do the math.......

If you lose 1% of the total volume and that 1% is largely oxygen.
You add back 1% but 78% of the 1% is Nitrogen

And you do this once a month for 10 years...... what is your total volume of oxygen left in the tire?

Or ....... if train "A" leaves New York and travels West at 60 miles an hour and train "B" leaves Los Angeles traveling East at 48 miles an hour how long will it be before they meet?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Maybe one could build nitrogen squirters to spray nitrogen on the tires as you drive.

My system is already built and on all the cars I own. Sadly it's only 78% nitrogen but I'm working on that.

The proponents that push Nitrogen are the same proponents that will financially gain from it. Follow the money. Is it worth it? Probably not for the average person. For a race car? Marginal gains so why not. Long haul trucking? Maybe, I'm not a trucker.

My tires wear from the outside in, so how is that going to work for me? If your tires wear from the inside out, maybe it's for you.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

My system is already built and on all the cars I own. Sadly it's only 78% nitrogen but I'm working on that.

The proponents that push Nitrogen are the same proponents that will financially gain from it. Follow the money. Is it worth it? Probably not for the average person. For a race car? Marginal gains so why not. Long haul trucking? Maybe, I'm not a trucker.

My tires wear from the outside in, so how is that going to work for me? If your tires wear from the inside out, maybe it's for you.

Ha ha, nice! Maybe we should advertise the system and become rich! I feel like there are probably some dummies who would spend money on some kind of ducts or flaps that cause more air to blow at the tires if marketed correctly.
Would be along the lines of the tornado thing that you're supposed to put in your intake or anything of that nature.

I'm with you on whether it is really worth it. If the tire shop I used asked if I wanted it, and it was not an additional cost then why not? But beyond that I don't need it.

This seems like a thing where technically speaking, yes the nitrogen does keep the inside of the tire from degrading as quickly. But with a practical application, it just doesn't matter all that much.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

And

And

Do the math.......

And you do this once a month for 10 years...... what is your total volume of oxygen left in the tire?

Or ....... if train "A" leaves New York and travels West at 60 miles an hour and train "B" leaves Los Angeles traveling East at 48 miles an hour how long will it be before they meet?

Dave

When you first fill the tire with air it will begin the degradation of the tire. This degradation will not be repaired because later the amount of oxygen in the tire is depleted. I was kind of amazed when these particular tires got to 8'ish years old that they didn't seem to be showing their age and have checked them pretty carefully several times a year since looking for signs of delamination and serious cracking. The tires still hold air well, which is supposedly a good sign. I do believe that for lightly used rigs that nitrogen could be very helpful in keeping one's tires safe. The Pacific Northwest probably has the best air in the country (at least for the 48 contiguous states) so rubber, steel, plastic, etc suffer less degradation, the rig is usually parked in the shade, and the summer temps in the PNW tend to be moderate, all of which help. I can't remember the tire brand off hand, but will certainly be looking for the same brand whenever I do decide to replace them and hopefully the rubber formulation will still be as good. The tires are actually slightly lighter in color than a typical tire, don't have a clue as to what that means.

Tires don't have to be old to fail anyway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

if you only drive at night, is UV still a factor? Idea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

And

And

Do the math.......

Dave

Yes. Over time, the % of nitrogen will be higher each time you top off the air.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Filter the nitrogen and add electronic temperature control. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

This question has not been answered yet.

Tom Powell wrote:
... Do tires age faster on alloy rims than on steel rims? Twisted Evil ...

Aloha
tp
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

An old friend and pinstriping client is a top restorer of '30s concours cars.

I have a call in to ask if he fills his restored car tires with nitrogen, as his are often million-dollar cars and they're dead-perfect candidates for using it.

Stock up with popcorn, tell the Missus you're on the case, and try not to perish from the anticipation...

— Colin Chapman
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

The difference in the rate of effusion, which is PROP to SQRT(ratio of Molecular weights) is so small compared to the leak rate through defects, rims, valves, edges I will wager that the composition of air filled tires matches atmospheric composition within experimental accuracy.

WT - whats wrong with that tire? Plenty of tread...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Can you interpret that for webless wonders such as I? Laughing

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A patch will take care of that in a jiffy.

Serially, WHOA!!!! That'll affect handling fee sher.

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitrogen tire fill Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
An old friend and pinstriping client is a top restorer of '30s concours cars.

I have a call in to ask if he fills his restored car tires with nitrogen...

Well, verdict's in.

Old cars still use tubed tires.

— The End —

Signed,
Notvery H. Elpful

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: