Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

thanks all for the help...

Mark - the sticker is exactly as the one posted by Dave (thanks Dave).

Jon - I think you're right on... I will try 30/35 or 35/40

according to the manufacturer it's 2,335 @ 65 PSI

dan
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: tire pressure... Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
29 front, 33 rear would be the equivalent inflation with the new tire.

I just checked, looking at the load table for a 205R16R, and those numbers are very close. The actual max pressure for that ERTO 205r16 Reinforced tire is 42 PSI though, so the math works out to 30/35 which is what I got when I looked at the load table. So consider those your minimums and you should be fine.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tire pressure... Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
according to the manufacturer it's 2,335 @ 65 PSI

thanks, my original post is updated to use those values

the result is I recommend 33 front 38 rear

Last edited by Jon_slider on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Thanks for the sticker photo Dave.
Checked 2 load tables that best matched the 2 tires in question.
Assuming a stock tire is 205R16 RF 104

then 26 front and 30 rear
becomes
32 front and 36 rear

for LT225/75R16 110 D/8pr

to have about the same load capacity, as best I can determine.

I usually like a few more psi myself when loaded down than when empty.
Some vehicle stickers show different pressures for different loads.
One of my vehicles shows 12 different tires and lists various pressures for them depending on cargo/person loads.

Mark
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Yep Mark, it looks like you rounded up, and I rounded down. I think I would have gotten 31/36 but it was closer to 30/35 so I went with that. Anyway I think we are in the ballpark for minimums and I could see him wanting to put a little more anyway.

If anyone wants to compare, the OE 205R14 Reinforced, 104 ERTO is on page 31 and the LT225/75r16 on page 21. https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf
jadatis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

The car- and tiremakers calculate the advice pressure for the GAWR's.
Those are given on American cars on the same plate as the pressure advices.
But on European cars ( here the case) its given on the VIN-plate , wich must be on the car somewhere since 1980 .
But mayby when the car is directly made for the american market, this VIN-plate is not on the car.
So if you suspect this VIN-plate on your car, you have to search for it under the motorhood, or in one of te doorstyles.

Once you found it , for these GAWR's you have to calculate the pressure.
Because most busses on this forum are used as motorhome. the weights in use on the axles will be close to the GAWR, wich are called MTA ( maximum total axle ) or MPAW ( max permissable axle weight).

This calculation of pressure can be done linear as Jon Slider does, but the official used calculation gives a bit lower pressure.

Calculating back the GAWR's from the old advice pressures and tires, can give to low weight because of the pressure calculation used, but rounding up to the first 0.1 bar or 1 psi gives a bit higher weight when calculating back. And then sometimes the rounded up bar is conversed to psi and again rounded . so deteriming real used weight is not acurate
So first determine the GAWR's/MTA's/MPAW.
jadatis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Searched back a list Jon once sended me with GAWR's and GVWR of Vaganon. Most have front GAWR of 2646 lbs(= 1200 kg) and rear GAWR of 2866 lbs ( = 1300 kg)in the 2 wheel drive.

The calculation I gave is what the car-makers used, but its best to add 10% to that to cover unequal weight.
This still will not give unaceptable comfort and gripp.
I once deterimined that this border is when real weight on tire is less then 85% of the weight the pressure is calculated for for 160km/99m/h.
And yes also speed is a factor . Goal of pressure advice is to not overheat the tires for the speed and weight on tire.
Probably the Vaganon wont make the 99m/h so for lower speed the pressure can be lower.
I also found out the system the tiremakers use for speed.
But what I advice to calculate is adding 10% to the weights and calculate the pressure for 160km/99m/h and then you have the highest pressure , at wich comfort and gripp still is acceptable, and gives the largest possible reserve for things like , pressure loss in time, inacuracy of pressure device, misyudged real weight on tires, unequall weight R/L, etc etc.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
If anyone wants to compare, the OE 205R14 Reinforced, 104 ERTO is on page 31 and the LT225/75r16 on page 21. https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

good info
"LT225/75r16 on page 21" is 2335 max load at 65 psi max inflation (and matches the OP report of the marks on his sidewall), and that is what I used in my linear calculations.

for the original tire I went with 1985 lbs @ 44 psi, based on this Vredestein 205R16 spec I looked up here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes

crazyvwvanman wrote:
then 26 front and 30 rear
becomes
32 front and 36 rear

thanks, we are getting similar results, my linear math gives 1-2 psi higher:
my linear math says 33f, 38rear
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Good thread 'cause I'm running on my Syncro 16:

Weight 4923 lbs. (2461.5 lbs per axle.)
- cabinets installed, (some clothes, food.)
- spare tire mounted.
- plywood roof platform
- Fiamma F65 awning mounted
- my body weight 245 lbs.
----------
Front GAWR : 1300Kg. @ 01/20/2018  44psi
Rear GAWR:   1380Kg  @ 01/20/2018  47psi

Tires: Nokian Rotiiva A+.  225/75/16R
Max single load is 1215 Kg (2680 lbs.)

Seems to be rolling just fine. Not quite my "Big Wheel" days, but fine enough!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

----------
Front 44psi
Rear 47psi

glad you found pressures that work for your tire and GAWRs.

You are using just 1psi more than I calculate for front and just 2 psi more than I calculate for rear:

Tire spec 2680 lbs. @ 80psi

Front GAWR/2= 1433 pounds per front wheel
Rear GAWR/2= 1521 pounds per rear wheel

1433/2680*80= 43psi front
1521/2680*80= 45psi rear
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

another question is should we consider the weight of the engine if it's NOT a 2.1 WBX?... because other engines are heavier...
should we raise the rear a couple psi because it's not a WBX?

thanks

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
another question is should we consider the weight of the engine if it's NOT a 2.1 WBX?... because other engines are heavier...
should we raise the rear a couple psi because it's a WBX?

thanks

inflation specs are for GAWR

IF your van exceeds GAWR then yes, you would need higher pressure

inflation specs are not for actual weight of the vehicle, if you want to inflate to actual vehicle weight, get the data for front and rear actual weight.. then add 20% as a safety margin, and inflate for that load..

I also use a couple other indicators to fine tune inflation
1. I count how many tread blocks touch the ground. We want the front contact patch to be slightly larger than the rear, by about 1/2 a tread block. I use a flashlight. When I first started doing this, I would also push a credit card against the tread, but now I just look closely to see where the tread block is in contact w the pavement.

2. I measure from wheel center to ground, we do not want the rear axle height to be less than the front.

3. I measure tread temperature, we do not want the outside edges to run hotter than the middle tread (that would be underinflated). This temperature measurement is more reliable in rear than front, because the front tires lean over in a turn. You can get a decent ballpark impression just by touching the tread sections with your hand, after running on the freeway in dry weather. Rainy weather will cool the tires, and not give good data. Some people invest in an IR thermometer for more accuracy, but it is not required.

4. Tire chalk can give some useful info, but I rely more heavily on counting tread blocks (this is a way to measure contact patch size)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure for Syncro Doka 16 Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

----------
Front 44psi
Rear 47psi

glad you found pressures that work for your tire and GAWRs.

You are using just 1psi more than I calculate for front and just 2 psi more than I calculate for rear:

Tire spec 2680 lbs. @ 80psi

Front GAWR/2= 1433 pounds per front wheel
Rear GAWR/2= 1521 pounds per rear wheel

1433/2680*80= 43psi front
1521/2680*80= 45psi rear

Yeah I did it by rolling the Syncro over 8×10 sheets of paper under the wheels and choose the footprint in dust imprint I liked for even rubber contact.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: tire pressure... Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Curious what your pressures might be, light vs. heavy? Guessing your Generals have a max of 50?

Right now I have 30 front and 40 rear, while on our recent trip south with a moderate load I had 4 more PSI added front and rear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: