Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

So I am detailing an engine case right now for a 1.8L build I am doing. It has a great deal more flashing than I have found on most type 4 cases.

Not a big deal….but along with a little surface corrosion here and there….nothing that will cause any damage…but is more than can easily be removed with caustics and a brush…I decided to lightly sand and moderately polish this case to get rid of the minor deburring and de-flashing marks and the rough surfaces that the chemical removal of the corrosion would cause.

In the process of this detailed cleaning and de-flashing….I found numerous proofing, quality control and machine work stampings in the case that even after all of these decades of working on type 4….I have never noticed! I can only describe them as production “hieroglyphics”.

There are probably even more than what I have found. I am going to be sure that during the polishing of this case I preserve them. A couple of these marks are fairly large face of type like 18-20 point. The rest…are all very small.
Typically the stamping letters are about 1/16Th (0.0625”) or less.

This is the case in question:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is some of the more minor flashing that is actually large enough to cause odd fitting to the tin.

Here is some of the major flashing before and after removal

So…on to the “hieroglyphics”. I have found them on all three cases I have readily at hand. The locations vary a little. Two of these markings…we all commonly know about and those are the case half numbers up on the bell housing boss. Those are marked as well.

The case at hand:

You will notice that some of the location map numbers are repeated….like 5.
That’s because between the two cases I photographed for this and across all three cases on my workbench…the number locations for what was typically there varied from case to case.

So for example the larger marking of A-1 or W-2 was either at the top of the boss on the bell housing on either side…or migrated all the way over to near #4 cylinder.

Here is a numbered map of the markings on the case so far:

Case # EA 0897083

Location 1

Location 2

Location 3

Location 4

Location 5

Location 6

Location 7

Location 8

Location 9

Case # EA 024042

Location 1

Location 2

Location 3

Location 4

Location 5

Location 6

Location 7

Location 8

Location 9

Location 10

Because of the locations…I can only assuming these are inspectors marks for/from various major machining operations like case cylinder openings etc.
Let me know if you have found these on your engines. I have no idea of type 1 engines for this and have no idea if this has been posted about before.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

That’s really interesting. I got a couple EC cases around. I will see if I can find any such makings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
That’s really interesting. I got a couple EC cases around. I will see if I can find any such makings.

Get a bright ligjt and magnifying glass. They are small. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

Intresting Ray!
I have just found a wery few of those markings myself.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

Yeah, they're all over the GD case that I'm detailing right now. The most impressive ones are the sixteenth-inch diameter VW logos.
The flashing was so bad on my case that I could touch shop rags to it and the rags would just hang there, like Velcro. Major deburring operations, inside and out.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine case-"hieroglyphics" or micro markings Reply with quote

Yes.....usually the cases have only moderate flash. Every once in a while ai find one this bad.

I am doing the same thing. I almosy hate sand and polishing the outside. On one hand it gets rid of the flashing,and "crazing" look.....but because it reflects the light it can make some areas like the top of the case look uneven or rough.

The insides i have been deburring for a long time. Its interestimg that there is enough casting flash that if you drag even your fingernails around the fine flashing you can crack some of that off.....which if that is possible.....it can happen with heat cycling, age and vibration.....so I lightly polish and deburr the inside. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: