Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLills.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: 1978 VW Westfalia Interior Makeover Reply with quote

One of the larger and more exciting recent changes to Moksha (our 1978 VW Westfalia) was his complete interior makeover.

We ripped out every piece of furniture, panel and layer until he was completely bare-bones. We cleaned him out and we put in dampening material to reduce noise and increase insulation.

We installed custom teak and cedar cabinets, teak door panels for the front, sliding and back doors, fresh kick panels, we tie-dyed custom window curtains and we sewed and our own privacy curtain.

See our full VW Bus Interior Makeover post on our website or watch the full video from start to finish here:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally installed a new rear glass with the defrost strips and now it works! I can see out of the rear window on those cold frosty mornings.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Finally installed a new rear glass with the defrost strips and now it works! I can see out of the rear window on those cold frosty mornings.

That sounds fantastic. I love the heated front screen on my Land Rover.. on the rare days I get to use it here.

How easily did it pop in?
Steven77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a manual transmission with an automatic on a 77 bus? The stock manual tranny currently is locked up and I have an complete automatic tranny from a 73 bus in storage. I need to know if there are specific parts required to do this swap or if it is even possible. I haven't seen much discussion about automatic swaps anywhere.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

tommu wrote:

How easily did it pop in?

I have installed a 70 bus rear window by myself, it's that easy.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Yes, it's super easy with string and dishsoap. Install the small diameter string in the grove and push the window w/rubber seal on it into the window frame. It goes halfway in then raise the rear hatch and pull the string to bring the rubber over the frame lip. Done
The new defrost connectors are in the middle of the glass instead of at the top so some playing witht the wires is necessary
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hey all, re bushed the conn. rods on the engine rebuild, need final hone to fit pin. All 4 pistons cleaned of carbon, new rings in shop. Ordered Camshaft gears, and new valve springs today. Going with a Webcam 91 grind hydraulic. Supposedly works well with the Auto. trans and dual carb setup. Honing pin bushings, then on to the Cylinders, check and hone if within specs. Progress!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Yes, it's super easy with string and dishsoap. Install the small diameter string in the grove and push the window w/rubber seal on it into the window frame. It goes halfway in then raise the rear hatch and pull the string to bring the rubber over the frame lip. Done
The new defrost connectors are in the middle of the glass instead of at the top so some playing witht the wires is necessary

Also, make sure the rubber is nice and warm so it is more pliable. And use a bic pen tube to help insert that string...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

For the camshaft above. Make sure the rivets on the camshaft gear are sound. Mine rattled for several years before it came loose and took out a major piece of engine. (really - rivets[?]).

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I bought one last weekend. I was sitting here minding my own business and spotted a local guy selling a 71 Tin Top camper. It needs some cosmetics and cleaning up and some body panel work.. relatively rust (cancer) free,, but has some spots..

The engine is or was pretty much garbage.. Getting a new 1641 engine built for it.. first new engine I will have ever had. Looking so forward to tinkering and playing with a bus again!

My Dad bought a 71 bus when I was a little kid on Guam.. we had lots of adventures.. Very Happy

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
decriminalizpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

So a year ago we bought Janis Joplin 69 Westie. First mistake, paid too much. Second mistake, missed how bad it was rusted.My Hippy couldn't just drive her as is..He had a need to have body work done and we were in a kinda going to have to do something situation.So to get body work done on her. We took her to Airkooled Kustoms. Who knew body work cost so much, I had a panic attack! We strip her and discover rust is really bad which equals money! So hippy finds another 69 body and takes it to the body shop. Guess Janis old body will make a good playhouse for the kids. Anybody wanna trade a Harley for a completed bus. I'm over this already as I watch money fly out the window. Looking around at vw bits and pieces!

mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got to drive the 71 today.. brand new 1641, I HATE the seats that someone put into it. I will buy some VW bus seats here at the place that did the engine... and redo those.. but it runs! its great to drive a bus again. I need a brake booster or at least replace the rubber vacuum hoses.. but thats when I get the time to go over it. Went on a scavenger hunt and found the vent pipe for the sink/fridge.. Excited to get going on this project. Very Happy

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

port matched intake installed today!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Well it's a sad day. The very long running very dependable 1776cc motor in my 1971 camper finally gave up the ghost. It sucked #4 exhaust valve. The broken valve jumped over to the other side of the cylinder in the ensuing violence, jamming itself between the piston and the still moving intake valve. Snapping the rocker arm for #4 intake in the process.

It's a top end job minimum. But due to it's mileage and age I will be rebuilding the whole thing. while I am at it I'll do a reseal to the transmission as well. There are other things that will need attention while I have the bus apart. like CV's and boots. rear wheel bearings and straiten up some of the wiring in the engine compartment. I'm in the process of pulling the drive train package now.

Let the fun commence! Shocked

Last edited by sodbuster on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Steven77bay wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a manual transmission with an automatic on a 77 bus? The stock manual tranny currently is locked up and I have an complete automatic tranny from a 73 bus in storage. I need to know if there are specific parts required to do this swap or if it is even possible. I haven't seen much discussion about automatic swaps anywhere.

yes you can but you will have to have all the linkage and stuff to go with it but it might be a little difficult because your bus is a 77 and the other bus is a 73 those would have 2 different automatic trannys in them a 73 is a 003 tranny and a 77 would have a 010 tranny. i think they have different throttle linkages not sure what else is different but if you have all the parts from a 73 i think it would be do able.
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Case is in two parts, went well. 1.8 liter 1975 case. Main crank bearings look good, will clean and mike the journals this weekend. Small end rod bushings done. Going to need a oil filter gasket, and the fill pipe gasket, anyone who can steer me in the right direction, chime in please. I can make them from gasket material if no new are available tho. Decided to go with a stock grind cam, auto trans will shift easier, and I will need vacuum for the distributor advance and some velocity for the twin carb setup. Compression calculated to 7.4 to one with the 94mm dished pistons, port matched the intake manifolds to the heads, used emery cloth inserted into a split brass pipe, wrapped it , chucked it into my 3/8 drill, and went easy, checking often. Used an old phenolic block intake gasket to scribe the rough outline one the head and intake manifold, the Intake was off more than the cylinder head port. Did a good job, they had no "ridge" showing between the manifold and head when assembled. Picked up a camshaft plug, and 4 oil pump sealing nuts from Mike at Halsey Automotive in NE Portland.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

- the 73 got swivels and the FI conversion motor is almost ready

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I pulled the engine trans package out of my camper. After splitting them I got the engine up on the stand and started taking it apart.

I first installed this engine and transaxle combo in my camper 15 years ago. This enging gave me 50.000 miles before sucking a valve. But I am going through the whole thing anyway. plus a bunch of other stuff the bus need while the engine and trans are out.

15 years ago. going in.

Yesterday coming out.

In that 15 years it did come out of the bus twice. Once to adress clutch issues. and the second time two years to replace a bad alternator as part of a larger inspection. When it first went in it still had it's stock generator. I was able to convert it to it's first alternator without removing the engine.

It was a 1776 cc with a (8 dowel) counter weighted crank. Engle 100 cam 041 cylinder heads. plumbed for a full flow oil system. The transaxle had the ring and pinion swapped from a 5.375 to a 4.86 ratio. I was thinking about going bigger but this combo has always given me what I've sought, dependability. So I wont be changing too much this time around. Just sorting out things to make the combo more dependable.
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Wow, big projects. Does a throttle cable count? Took 15 minutes. Way easier than I imagined.

Installed the engine last Saturday. Just too cold to do much this weekend!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 419 of 463

Jump to: