Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a Bolt
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a wannabe Meyers Manx that I have been restoring since getting it from a previous owner. It has an EMPI select-a-drop adjustable height kit installed. Apparently, the PO had it adjusted incorrectly, and it bottomed out and bent the hell out of the long (approx. 7") adjusting bolt. I have cut the bolt out to replace it.
Trouble is...............the bolt is a hex head, I think a 14x1.0 and 7" long, and threaded the length of the bolt. I also wanted to find one that is a 10.9 hardness since it appears to be a stress area. Anybody know where I can get one? I have looked at Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, several fastener distributors online, and no luck. EMPI's solution is to buy a new kit, since they won't sell just the bolt.
Any help is appreciated.

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Ummm.... Does it really have to be full threads?

https://www.belmetric.com/hex-bolts-grade-109-c-506.html

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-threaded-rod-c-551.html

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-threaded-rods/=1ba940n

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=1ba94q1

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Dale, thanks for the effort. However, the ones offered by McMaster are not long enough, and ones by belmetric not fully threaded. I'm trying to hunt down a metric tap and die set to see if I can fix that!
The rods offered are a 3 foot minimum order at almost twice the price of the EMPI kit.

Again, thanks for the effort. I appreciate your time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Ummm.... Does it really have to be full threads?

Dale

Hi Dale,

Probably not, but it definitely will have to have more threads than the inch or so that come with a partial thread bolt. I have a cheap Harbor Frieght Tool metric tap and die set, but nothing large enough to lengthen threads.
Ya know, after calling EMPI, and was told sorry, you will have to buy another kit, I've just been stewing on that statement. The EMPI "customer service" rep said in addition, "if I was a distributor, they could probably do something for me. But we are not set up to handle this". "This" being an end user calling about an issue. I think I am done with them if this is how an end user is treated by them. Looks like a Weber dual carb setup and not EMPI.
Again Dale, thanks for your efforts.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Just throwing this out.....

Will a standard die cut threads in a hardened bolt?
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Just throwing this out.....

Will a standard die cut threads in a hardened bolt?
I have done regular bolts but I havent tried a hardened bolt.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

I can buy hardened all rod in metric sizes at the local Bolt Supply House. Don't know if you have one of those. Good luck cutting the hardened bolt. Go slow, back it off a lot and use lots of oil.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Why not visit your local machine shop and see what they could do for you?
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

Allthread with double nutted end, or just weld a nut on one end?

I gather this is one of the older adjust-a drops that had the long bolt going from top to bottom? Old-school stuff for sure!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

I have a wannabe Meyers Manx that I have been restoring since getting it from a previous owner. It has an EMPI select-a-drop adjustable height kit installed. Apparently, the PO had it adjusted incorrectly, and it bottomed out and bent the hell out of the long (approx. 7") adjusting bolt. I have cut the bolt out to replace it.
Trouble is...............the bolt is a hex head, I think a 14x1.0 and 7" long, and threaded the length of the bolt. I also wanted to find one that is a 10.9 hardness since it appears to be a stress area. Anybody know where I can get one? I have looked at Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, several fastener distributors online, and no luck. EMPI's solution is to buy a new kit, since they won't sell just the bolt.
Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Does your setup look like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=830040

$17.50 is cheap -

bnc
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Does your setup look like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnc

Yup, that's the one.
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
I gather this is one of the older adjust-a drops that had the long bolt going from top to bottom? Old-school stuff for sure!

GS, you are correct.
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bolt Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=830040

$17.50 is cheap -

bnc

BNC,

I have found a number of the kits available, but it irks me I have to pay the cost of the kit, and usually shipping, just to get a bolt.
Actually, I have a couple of leads on bolts. I'll know in a couple of days.

Again, thanks to all that have replied.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: