Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
To do
55%
 55%  [ 37 ]
Not to do
44%
 44%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 67

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
rubbachicken wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Lettuce wrote:
you guys are worried about fumes entering the bus... there should be no fumes coming from the tank

Accidents happen.

people also happen, ignore the cut in the tank, this bay tank had 5 screw holes in it, from a PO who fitted a home made interior, i guess they only had looooong screws

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture reminds me of one of my local acquaintances, who installed a second-hand campervan interior into his 1973~79 VW "1700" Type 2 Kombi.

Either through ignorance or stupidity, he ended up drilling five holes in his fuel tank which resulted in a smell of petrol, of which he could not isolate the source, until I starting interrogating him.

Ultimately I supplied him with a second-hand 1974 VW 1800 Type 2 fuel tank I had spare, and took his perforated fuel tank in part exchange, which I later had repair-welded by another of my acquaintances, who many years earlier had repair-welded my corrosion-damaged Triumph Toledo (an amazing car, not sold in North America!) fuel tank.

Best post in this thread by far....

Shocked Shocked Shocked
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

A PO of my bus had cut a small rectangular access plate and then sloppily seam sealed the cut out piece back in place. Unfortunately, his hole was off center by a few inches. Several years ago, I enlarged the hole he had made and put in a 6 inch marine bilge pump screw-in access cover. Lots of room to manoeuvre in there now. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever had to open it up for any reason since I put it in 9 years ago.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

For anyone looking for that door, Beckson is one of the big manufacturers of these. You can get them round square locking latching...etc.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
A PO of my bus had cut a small rectangular access plate and then sloppily seam sealed the cut out piece back in place. Unfortunately, his hole was off center by a few inches. Several years ago, I enlarged the hole he had made and put in a 6 inch marine bilge pump screw-in access cover. Lots of room to manoeuvre in there now. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever had to open it up for any reason since I put it in 9 years ago.

What type of saw did you use to make that cut? Any risks of sparks flying?

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
What type of saw did you use to make that cut? Any risks of sparks flying?

I just used a regular jig saw with a fine tooth metal blade. No sparks were generated, or if they were, they were very minimal.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

I did mine a while back using a Bosch multitool with the half round saw attachment, no sparks at all and nice clean straight cuts, made a small steel frame bent to same shape and riveted that and then drilled and riveted the cut out piece back in.........

Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Do you have the finished picture?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:

I was just going to ask the same question Smile

I'd be interested to see how you fabricated the steel frame, as it was something that I was actually considering myself.

I want to fix the bit of a hack that the PO did with cutting the hole (starting with doing it a few inches off to the right of the sender), but only if I can do it cleanly.

Decode your M-Plate
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

At this rate, we should all chip in on a bus for the sole purpose of being able to cut the metal piece off as a cover for a perfect fit. Laughing
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Balmoral1958 wrote:

I was just going to ask the same question Smile

I'd be interested to see how you fabricated the steel frame, as it was something that I was actually considering myself.

I want to fix the bit of a hack that the PO did with cutting the hole (starting with doing it a few inches off to the right of the sender), but only if I can do it cleanly.

As requested gents.........

I used some sheet steel to knock up a nice small frame to sit under the hole....

I then put it in the hole and drilled and riveted it into place....

I then attached my cut out piece to the frame and drilled and used small self tappers, picture taken before I painted the screws and rivets so it does look better than this currently....

I'm sure the purists will say I did a shit job but I'm happy with it.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Thanks so much for following up with the pictures!

Decode your M-Plate
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

For the spark concious

Just putting a box fan under the car will blow in enough air to get below the explosive limit while you cut. This won't help if you cut into the tank but that's a Darlose event
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Could you give the position of the hole please.

Seen numerous diagrams but yours looks like its in the perfect position.

Thanks again for the pictures!
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

OK - so I have decided not to cut the access hole.

Firewall is out. Tight but managed to get it out.

Question- can I just pull the tank out enough to get to the sender?

I'm replacing all the rubber hoses and vent pieces as well.

Hope the made in Denmark sender will last as long as the original..
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For the spark concious

Just putting a box fan under the car will blow in enough air to get below the explosive limit while you cut. This won't help if you cut into the tank but that's a Darlose event

Another thing for the spark concious- a little cutting oil on your saw blade takes care of that concern. I used a 4 1/4" hole saw from harbor freight, cut like butter.
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Just cut it ...so what !!!>>>just make a corrugated patch with a gasket or RTV 30 minutes its done.You should have the carpet over it anyways.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
OK - so I have decided not to cut the access hole.

Firewall is out. Tight but managed to get it out.

Question- can I just pull the tank out enough to get to the sender?

I'm replacing all the rubber hoses and vent pieces as well.

Hope the made in Denmark sender will last as long as the original..

You can just about wiggle the sender in with the tank in-situ - Colin (Amskeptic) managed that on my '79 a couple years ago during one of his itinerant cir-cooled visits.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

samwise wrote:

You can just about wiggle the sender in with the tank in-situ - Colin (Amskeptic) managed that on my '79 a couple years ago during one of his itinerant cir-cooled visits.

Agreed. With the right size large channel locks, removal is pretty easy. Installation is a bit tricky when it comes time to compress the new gasket and twist the sender fella locked position. On BigEmma last year we had to get the tank out to RnR the sender it was stuck in so tight. It made replacing all the 7mm vent lines a little easier anyway. Don’t break the tank straps; don’t skimp on the lube!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
...don’t skimp on the lube!

Robbie

A fine sentiment... Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

here is the best way to do a late bus

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8598245#8598245

this one had the stupid factory cover, that was poorly done. there is no way I would waste a day messing around with this. at this stage in the game with all the fine aftermarket junk, this makes it a 2 minute affair.

I think when done neatly it is an ok thing to do. same with the late filler elbow....which are now made of tissue paper and last a year if you're lucky

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: