Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Dcheek, your ‘65 is the only other ‘65 I have ever seen with this detail mine has. Mine is a VERY early ‘65, so I am assuming yours is as well.

My vin is 115007584, which from my understanding means it was built at the end of the first production day or the beginning of the second production day in August of 1964.

I have the records for literally every single little thing that was done to this car from when it was purchased 9/4/1964 up until it was parked 7/21/1970. I bought it 10/9/2006 from the original owners sisters. No idea why it was only driven for about 6 years and then parked in a garage for 36 years as there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Anyway, I feel this detail was deleted very early in production. My ‘65 is all original as well (well, I lowered it but other than that, it’s original).

There is a thin welting that goes across the top of the front and rear seats that seperates the solid vinyl from the mesh vinyl. I can see it in your pic, you can see it in mine. The OP’s ‘65 doesn’t have it. I have been trying to figure out when it was stopped during production.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Dcheek, your ‘65 is the only other ‘65 I have ever seen with this detail mine has. Mine is a VERY early ‘65, so I am assuming yours is as well.

My vin is 115007584, which from my understanding means it was built at the end of the first production day or the beginning of the second production day in August of 1964.

I have the records for literally every single little thing that was done to this car from when it was purchased 9/4/1964 up until it was parked 7/21/1970. I bought it 10/9/2006 from the original owners sisters. No idea why it was only driven for about 6 years and then parked in a garage for 36 years as there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Anyway, I feel this detail was deleted very early in production. My ‘65 is all original as well (well, I lowered it but other than that, it’s original).

There is a thin welting that goes across the top of the front and rear seats that seperates the solid vinyl from the mesh vinyl. I can see it in your pic, you can see it in mine. The OP’s ‘65 doesn’t have it. I have been trying to figure out when it was stopped during production.

Are you talking about how the seatbacks have the solid ( not the salt and pepper part ) vinyl pulled over the seatback? If you are talking about that my 65 111 "A" sedan had that style as well and my car was built in the middle of Jan 1965, however when TMI sent me new covers that pull over the seatback was not there, they only brought it to the top of the seatback. The passenger seatback it's just visible see below;
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0136_edited_1.jpg

FYI the standard models have only gray door panels, no map pouch on drivers side and no arm rest for the passenger side.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516080.jpg
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Keith wrote:

Are you talking about how the seatbacks have the solid ( not the salt and pepper part ) vinyl pulled over the seatback? If you are talking about that my 65 111 "A" sedan had that style as well and my car was built in the middle of Jan 1965, however when TMI sent me new covers that pull over the seatback was not there, they only brought it to the top of the seatback. The passenger seatback it's just visible see below;
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0136_edited_1.jpg

FYI the standard models have only gray door panels, no map pouch on drivers side and no arm rest for the passenger side.

Not at all, not only did I circle what I was showing, I said what I was showing. There is a thin version of the same vinyl welt that separates the vinyl around the seats running along the tops of the seats on some early ‘65’s as I have shown in the pics. The red interior doesn’t have it. Mine and the blue interior have it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

My October '64 build original seat covers don't have that welt.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Keith wrote:

Not at all, not only did I circle what I was showing, I said what I was showing. There is a thin version of the same vinyl welt that separates the vinyl around the seats running along the tops of the seats on some early ‘65’s as I have shown in the pics. The red interior doesn’t have it. Mine and the blue interior have it.

I just got back from the shop after pulling down the original skins to the car and they don't have that welt as you call it.
vwbeck3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

I looked up my vin number and it looks like my car was produced on December 1964.
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Beautiful car! I too have a 65 that I am in the process of finishing. Could you post more pictures of the engine please? Several things I’m researching. One is the date code on the flap of the oil bath. Reason is, in 65 all the Jan-July oil baths I found with an intake flap had the red embossed instructional sticker on the arm of the bath not the body. Want to see if that was unique to that stretch only. My car was produced on April 26-1965. Also, the fuel line to the fuel cut off valve. Prior to the cut off the fuel line had the screw end. After it didn’t so I’d like to see how Germany installed that section.

vwbeck3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

I’ll post some photos of the engine later this week.
It’s in the shop putting on the correct German carb.
Thanks
Gary
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Never noticed the seat thing..... interesting.

Here's a picture of my engine.

1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
vwbeck3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Nice engine dcheek.
Here is another photo of my engine.
My oil bath flap doesn’t have a date stamped on it.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Have you noticed how the air cleaner arm end flaps are different between Mr beck's and Mr. Creide's? One has an inverted shallow "U" going across the axis along with the date code, and the other has a wide upright "U" and no code. Probably different suppliers?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Yes, there were two different suppliers. Mann and Knecht.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

My recently purchased 65 pearl white has mostly original interior except for the drivers seat (seems swapped for a later model). I noticed yours has an arm rest on driver door panel, mine only has arm rest on passenger door. Also same front bumper.

notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Keith wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Keith wrote:

I just got back from the shop after pulling down the original skins to the car and they don't have that welt as you call it.

here's my original pair '65 red front seats, they don't have the bead either, I'll look out the rear seats tomorrow, but pretty sure they don't have thenm either

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

nelson845 wrote:
My recently purchased 65 pearl white has mostly original interior except for the drivers seat (seems swapped for a later model). I noticed yours has an arm rest on driver door panel, mine only has arm rest on passenger door. Also same front bumper.

Passenger inside arm rest was standard, drivers side was optional, that’s why.

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

A few years later I bought it from him for the same price, it's the one in my signature. Absolutely a wonderful car that took an astonishing amount of punishment. It ran gallantly to the wrecker a couple of years later, never haven broken down on me, but getting rusty under the battery. What a shame.

Did it go to the crusher with the Westfalia hitch still attached? So sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

As for the original 1965 Red interior, is there a place/source to purchase new /oem or close replica seat upholstery(front and back)?. The catalogs I've looked at only show solid red basket weave like my drivers seat(which I believe is from a '66)
...Id like to have all matching seats. Wink
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

nelson, try TMI. A few years ago I saw a TMI kit in a really nicely done '65 Beetle at one of Classic VW Bugs' open houses. I was very impressed with the overall appearance of the kit. They probably offer the kit in red. Here are shots of that car from the CVB site- https://www.classicvwbugs.com/2014/09/03/classic-v...-for-sale/

nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Thanks Rome!
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

This bug belongs to me now by the way Smile
60 RHD Subhatch
62 Cabriolet
63 double cab
63 patina bug
64 notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: