Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trunk liner fabrication project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

I had been wanting a decent trunk liner for my 1971 standard Beetle (or at least something better than the old blanket and boxes that I had been using in there). But wasn't having much luck finding anything suitable in the selection currently available from the new parts vendors. WW used to offer one that looked like pretty good fit and quality, but they’ve been out of stock for a long time now, and told me they’re not expecting to get them in again any time soon (if ever). Examples from other sellers didn’t look like they’d fit very well, plus unattractive shipping rates to boot (large item).

So I decided to try making my own instead. I got a big sheet of scrap cardboard, made some measurements, and started to cut out, tape together, and fit up a “template” model:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once the cardboard template seemed to be fitting pretty well, then went ahead and got a 4’ x 4’ sheet of that black corrugated plastic sheet material from local building surplus store (small piece shown below, about 1/8” thick or so — also saw available in hardware stores).

Using the cardboard template model, I transferred / traced its pattern onto the black plastic sheet material, and then cut and folded it to match.

I left a little extra material along the edges in some spots, and carefully test
fitted and trimmed until I had a satisfactory fit all around for the final installation.

We’ll see how it holds up long term — hopefully pretty well. I like it so far — much better then an old blanket and boxes, in any case... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Wow that looks good, I'll take 1 please.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Usually this sort of thing fails to impress me but that one looks pretty sweet. Good job. Time to throw in a half-full tool box and some random parts and drive it on winding mountain roads all day, and see what it looks like in the morning. Twisted Evil

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Nice.

Now that you've made the template, time to start selling these in Samba Classifieds !

I made my own liners from thin industrial carpet for my 1970 and for my 1971 Super, but yours looks better !

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Usually this sort of thing fails to impress me but that one looks pretty sweet. Good job. Time to throw in a half-full tool box and some random parts and drive it on winding mountain roads all day, and see what it looks like in the morning. Twisted Evil

Ha! Well I suppose I could always throw the old blanket and boxes back in to protect it — go figure... Rolling Eyes

I’ve got some carpet padding between it and floor of the trunk / top of gas tank. Evens things out a bit, plus helps protect the wiring and etc. underneath. Maybe even a bit quieter ride in the cab now, although that’s probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

That's super. Very Happy I'm curious how you got it to fold without breaking.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
That's super. Very Happy I'm curious how you got it to fold without breaking.

It folded fairly easily, especially if in line w/ the internal corrugations. To fold at an angle or perpendicular to the corrugations, just use a strong rigid straight edge held down firmly along the desired bend line, and fold up tightly against the corner made between the plastic surface and straight edge.

The plastic isn’t brittle or anything — seems pretty tough. Need a strong pair of scissors or sharp box knife to cut. I couldn’t tear it at all.

If I can, I’ll try to make a dimensioned sketch of template at some point and post on the forum. Then folks can cut and fit their own to suit...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

That would be legendary, I would appreciate that. I'd like to make a version for standards using super fresh air boxes.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

I love it. I used the same corrugated stuff for the front floor of my bus but was less than impressed. Course it was a hi stress /traffic area.

In a bug trunk it looks terrific. Great job
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Excellent work; very impressive for a do-it-at-home project.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

The general trade name for the corrugated plastic is Coroplast, its usually made from polypropylene and is pretty tough stuff. Comes in a variety of colors and thicknesses if you can find a local supplier that stocks it
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Dave NC, you must work for Inteplast as many people do not know the correct name.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Very well done. I really like the clean lines, one piece design, and appears sturdy. It's much better than my floppy carpet and plastic dash cover insert thing.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

That looks nice.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Once cut and formed, one could glue a nice layer of fabric on and trim it nicely.

Last edited by joey1320 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Looks great!

Gonna see if anyone on the Ghia forum has dimensions... my car doesn't even have a trunk liner.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Nice job. Applause Please post dimensions when you get a chance.

02/76 Beetle sedan
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Looks great!!! Nice job. With your template, you could make another one and cover it with vinyl, carpet, or any combo of materials you want if you want a custom look.

My buddy has a 77 Super Vert that he never raised the hood at shows. I kept bugging him and he made liners out of plain old cardboard and glued some left over car carpet on it that his brother had laying around. Looks great. No one knows it's a DIY 0 cost item.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

Being that it is plastic, could one use a hot air gun(or wife's hair dryer) and heat up the creases to form them into place?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk liner fabrication project Reply with quote

I am wondering if you are taking orders for these.
I broke down and ordered one from WW a couple of years ago.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: