Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

For those with Vanagons getting up in the years,
and fearful of (shocking Shocked !) transaxle rebuild prices,

You should change your trans oil BEFORE your drain magnet confirms that you waited too long.....
Fresh gear oil is only $16/gallon. So cheap for the miles you will get, by maintaining a level of cleanliness. And MORE important if you added 25%, 50% 75% more horsepower going thru that little trans.

You need a tool to get the 17mm hex (also called "allen") plugs out. The filler plug and the drain are both 17mm. Be sure to dig all the crud out of the socket, so you can get 100% insertion. If you don't get the tool 100% inserted you might strip the hex which causes all kind of problems!

ABN 3/8" Inch Motorcycles Hex Axle Tool - 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 24mm - Hex Allen Front Wheel Hub Axle Spindle Socket Adapter
by ABN
AMAZON Link: http://a.co/2Qw7Ngo

----- OK Soapboxing - but trying to make a difference in Vanagon enjoyment ------- MAINTAIN YOUR ANTIQUE Exclamation

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic shows the option of TWO wrenches and TWO hands to turn that stuck fill plug (if you have to)

I hope this helps folks to maintain their vans easier. After you get your plug(s) out, tighten them with 14 ft-lbs, and it won't take two hands to loosen it. And don't wait so long either.....maintain your Vanagon.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Thanks, ordered.
Do you have a recommended magnet plug to use?
thanks
-terry
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

I find it is easier to drop the linkage.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

The long magnet VW oil drain plug is part# 091301141
Van Cafe has it for $9.90 www.van-cafe.com/magnetic-drain-plug
It fits exactly the same in the oil filler hole.

Gnarlodious wrote:
I find it is easier to drop the linkage.

You are correct, but you have that ability. And unbolting the linkage you can lube it too, for slick shifting. And your drainplug is probably NOT stuck, right? Because you maintain your van.

But one thing at a time. 95% of vanagon owners don't go under the van EVER. And their transaxle is OLD .like. 30 years old. It may have newer bearings, but all the gears and shafts and hubs are OLD. If they can just add the task of maintaining gear oil, things will be better.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

I have this job to do soon. I didn't realize it was such a PITA to get to. It looks like I should take the time to install a Van Cafe shift-fix-kit and drop the linkage.

Thanks for the post OP. I'll pick one up
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

.... your drainplug is probably NOT stuck, right? Because you maintain your van.

But one thing at a time. 95% of vanagon owners don't go under the van EVER. And their transaxle is OLD .like. 30 years old.

Neat tool. Thanks. I'd guess someone would have to screw up pretty bad (and-or is dealing a totally frozen fill plug) but being able to put inward pressure on that hex tool to keep it seated, while turning it with the box-end wrench, could be of great assistance.

As has been mentioned many times I'm sure, one should check that their fill plug can be removed before draining the oil.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

I assume this also works for an automatic ?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neat tool. Thanks. I'd guess someone would have to screw up pretty bad (and-or is dealing a totally frozen fill plug) but being able to put inward pressure on that hex tool to keep it seated, while turning it with the box-end wrench, could be of great assistance.

Someone (Steve M?) was able to reach his fill plug thru the wheel well: that would be the way to go if you can do it.

And what's this $16/gal gear oil? That ain't SWEPCO…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

^^^

Wink Wink Wink

- Dave

PS: Sodo's tool suggestion looks very good...if it could also fit in the DRAIN plug position it would be perfect! Confused

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

PS: Sodo's tool suggestion looks very good...if it could also fit in the DRAIN plug position it would be perfect! Confused

I don't see why it wouldn't. If the homebrew jammed nut tool works, so would this.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Unfortunately I'm dealing with my PO's somewhat-kludged exhaust bracket which only
leaves me almost exactly 1-1/4" clearance directly in line with the drain plug... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh well...someday I'll have a nice van. How much clearance do the rest of you have there?

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Oh well...someday I'll have a nice van. How much clearance do the rest of you have there?

Quite a lot…

Best I don't show you the crankcase drain plug, perhaps.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Unfortunately I'm dealing with my PO's somewhat-kludged exhaust bracket which only
leaves me almost exactly 1-1/4" clearance directly in line with the drain plug... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I made this tool about 20 years ago to remove the trans drain plug crowded by the Kennedy exhaust crossover pipe. I probably used it once (my poor tranny.... I should apologize to it, wherever it is...

I passed it on to another Vanagon owner.

Another cool tool found in theSamba images, but it's easy to make this tool with a 17mm coupling nut and a 17 box-end wrench.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Here is my entry into the transmission tool contest. Just a 3/4 hex long nut that has been ground down on one end to fit the 17mm hex. Easily turned with either a 19mm or 3/4" wrench. Would like to find something similar out of a high alloy steel. This is my travel tool as it takes up the least room of any of the various drain plug tools I own. It of course can be used with a ratchet and socket as well.

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

The dual approached worked for me. Fought those stupid fill plugs for hours last week. It looked like it had put up a fight before...

Took heat, loud noises, bad words and finally chopping my brand new 17mm allen up to use just as Sodo described above

Found that I could apply lots of tourqe to the 17mm hex stub with a 1/2" drive bar, but because I was not able to get perpendicular it'd slip out when I put some serious heft on it. Using another wrench flush on face did the trick. That and 24" of cheater pipe and a hammer. And heat. And more loud noises

I had chopped the allen up to try to fit under the linkage as another Samaba member had success at doing, unfortunately I couldn't match faces in the amount of available swing. Then the light bulb went off...

I did enjoy my last Santa Cruz Van-Cafe cookie tho Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I assume this also works for an automatic?

Yes. The auto trans differential fill plug is the same 17mm.

(borrowed pic)

We don't have the luxury of a drain plug, unfortunately.

At home, I use this on both the van and Cabriolet (fortunately, easy to remove on both):

Sodo's tool, or something similar, would be good to keep in my on-board tool box though. Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

I did enjoy my last Santa Cruz Van-Cafe cookie tho Cool

What!?! you got a dr. midnight cookie!! I never got one of those. I'm so jealous Crying or Very sad
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
What!?! you got a dr. midnight cookie!! I never got one of those. I'm so jealous Crying or Very sad

I was really torn - enjoy it after battling those stupid bungs all day or tape it to the wall for posterity. That internal argument was going through my head as I ate it.... Rolling Eyes

I should listed it on the Samba to buy more cool VW shit Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I was really torn - enjoy it after battling those stupid bungs all day or tape it to the wall for posterity. That internal argument was going through my head as I ate it.... Rolling Eyes

I should listed it on the Samba to buy more cool VW shit Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy LOL!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Reply with quote

So I attempted to loosen fill plug with no luck. I think I will have to weld a bolt to it. However, does anyone have any insight as to whether I can remove the reverse light switch, or perhaps the bolt on top of the trans that hold in the shift shaft and add oil through there?

Thank you,
Justin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: