Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

I took my oil filter bracket off, drilled and tapped it for a VDO oil temp sender.

When I put it together I noticed there was no washer for the final seal.

Do I need a washer? The curved neck of the sender may or may not seat and

seal. The plan is to use blue Loctite for thread seal but the washer part has me

puzzled. Please advise. Flat washer, crush washer, plastic washer, no washer.

I have attached photos so you can see the curved part of the neck, just above

the threads and curving up into the bottom of the sender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance everyone.

dgsaz
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

A dowty washer would only work if you milled the filter head flat for it to seal against and had 2 parallel threads.

Ideally, with what you have got there you will have a parallel female and tapered male, a bit of Loctite and you're set Smile
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? 2.00 Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
A dowty washer would only work if you milled the filter head flat for it to seal against and had 2 parallel threads.

Ideally, with what you have got there you will have a parallel female and tapered male, a bit of Loctite and you're set Smile

OK, I cleaned up the threads, installed the sender with out a washer. Just thread sealer and torque.

Here's another question: I have a sender in the oil filter bracket as shown.

I have another sender that I can install into the oil relief galley. Here's the Q.

Can I feed two senders to a single gauge by using and on off on switch to

control which sender the gauge is reading. Is this possible?

Thanks again.

dgsaz
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

Yes I think you could that would be very interesting.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? 2.00 Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

Can I feed two senders to a single gauge by using and on off on switch to

control which sender the gauge is reading. Is this possible?

Thanks again.

dgsaz

Done it with several oil sender locations a few years ago. Oil filter mount is fastest to respond, and most accurate. I'll try to find the thread where I posted results.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

found it:
esde wrote:
I have tried different locations, to see what was the fastest to respond to engine load, slowest, etc. two years ago, I had a sender mounted in the deep sump, oil cooler bypass, and the oil filter mount. With a three way switch I could read any and compare. Without looking up my notes, I recall the bypass location always read the highest, and was slowest to respond. The sump and oil filter mount read the same, or very close, but the filter mount responded very quickly. With the filter mount sender, it would start to respond maybe 15-30 seconds after the cylinder head temp needle would rise. I know that doesn't make sense, as it's pulling oil from the very location where the sump temp sender is, but it's what happened. At one point I swapped the sender locations (sump and filter housing) and results were the same. All I can imagine is that the thermal mass of the engine and sump work to slow the reaction time of the sender. I have seen it installed in the oil pressure switch location with a tee fitting, and my observation is that it is slow to react to engine load, and my IR Fluke gun indicated it was reading 10-15 degrees cool.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
found it:
esde wrote:
I have tried different locations, to see what was the fastest to respond to engine load, slowest, etc. two years ago, I had a sender mounted in the deep sump, oil cooler bypass, and the oil filter mount. With a three way switch I could read any and compare. Without looking up my notes, I recall the bypass location always read the highest, and was slowest to respond. The sump and oil filter mount read the same, or very close, but the filter mount responded very quickly. With the filter mount sender, it would start to respond maybe 15-30 seconds after the cylinder head temp needle would rise. I know that doesn't make sense, as it's pulling oil from the very location where the sump temp sender is, but it's what happened. At one point I swapped the sender locations (sump and filter housing) and results were the same. All I can imagine is that the thermal mass of the engine and sump work to slow the reaction time of the sender. I have seen it installed in the oil pressure switch location with a tee fitting, and my observation is that it is slow to react to engine load, and my IR Fluke gun indicated it was reading 10-15 degrees cool.

Neat. I always figured the oil filter adapter would be the best place for realtime readings, since it is literally right in the flow and not a big casting off to the side that had to warm up first. Conveniently, most adapters have a nice little spot waiting to be drilled and tapped right on top too Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

This is how I did mine:

http://www.glenn-ring.com/engine/images/155_5589.jpg
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
This is how I did mine:

http://www.glenn-ring.com/engine/images/155_5589.jpg

I did the same Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temp Sender - Oil filter Bracket - Washer? Reply with quote

If it is NPT you don't need a washer, if it is 14 or 18mm you do (and it has to be dead flat).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: