Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Marchel Headlights for split beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Anyone have any info/ knowledge about vintage Marchel headlights for Beetle? These were my split. The housings are similar to factory VW split assemblies, take a large bulb in the back, and have the little metal Marchal “emblem” inside the housing at the top (behind the glass). they have typical split style clear “fluted” lenses on the front, which I do not know if they are originally part of the entire headlight assembly or different I have to check the markings on the glass, I don’t recall what they are. I seem to remember the previous owner making a big deal about the rarity of these lights so I’m trying to find some more information on them before I decide to use them on the car or not...
Thanks everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Pictures?
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Pictures?

Ill take some tomorrow and post them....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

The brand name correctly spells MARCHAL. French manufacturer. I believe, Bob van Heyst´s very original split convertible (french delivery + found in France) has them, you may like to doublecheck with him, he is on theSamba as Bob1

Last edited by originalo on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Here are some pics. The trim rings have been painted. Also the pic of the Marchal emblem on the light “fixture” inside the housing is hard to see behind the glass....Any info is appreciated!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Looks like a hodgepodge to me. Why would Hella put a lens on another light manufactures unit?

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

As Kevin says, Bob is a good starting point as his original '50 Kab has them fitted (with original Marchal lenses). I have also seen another couple of French Split Beetles with them over the years. I read something, somewhere that said all VWs exported to France (maybe for a very short period in 1950) were fitted with these to comply with French regulations? My memory is failing me as I approach middle-age.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
Formcar 179
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

I think these should have yellow lenses..
1944 VW factory Zollner Dynometer
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Looks like a hodgepodge to me. Why would Hella put a lens on another light manufactures unit?

Looking to the fotos that were posted meanwhile I can confirm that MARCHAL parts on this headlight are reflector and bulbholder. All the rest is HELLA, Hella lens is 57-60 and the bucket with refl. adjustment mechanism is 4/50-ca. 1954. The headlight is a mix-up of different parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Here is how they look like.

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Well all you fellas were right, a mix of parts! I disassembled one and found that it is a Marchal Equilux light assembly ( bucket, bulb holder, reflector, and lenses), inside a Beetle (most likely Hella as stated by some of you), with a oval eta fluted lense.
So my question is, based on what Usairman posted, with this be a correct assembly if the front lens was clear like shown in the photos obviously having to fluted or asymmetrical glass back to back is pointless....
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

here are pics taken apart.....

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

The housing empty, with fluted lenses....

Panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Fred Udog can probably tell you more about these headlight.
His French 51 have OG Marchal.
You can see that the main glass is sandblasted
Not sure that they are VW stamped.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Panelvan wrote:
Fred Udog can probably tell you more about these headlight.
His French 51 have OG Marchal.
You can see that the main glass is sandblasted
Not sure that they are VW stamped.

If they are like the ones that were on my '50 then they are not sandblasted, they are silvered.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
stevenirvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Marchel Headlights for split beetle Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

and the bulb. what bulb do they take? I have the Brazilian Mauricio versions and need to convert the wiri g for my 62 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: