Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

That black key looks like the aftermarket ones we got for my 73 back in the 90s. there was actually a VW logo hidden underneath that round section, it's cut into the metal of the key! Looks just like an early watercooled key
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

the black-handled key is an "HV" profile. it's a VW profile, indeed used on early watercooled (and late aircooled) cars. It's quite common on aftermarket replacement cylinders for doors, ignition or glovebox latches.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Thanks for the key info guys.

Because I got the keys after I got the car I was dubious that they would fit but I'm absolutely chuffed to say the newer key locks the decklid lock and the other VW key works both the door handle AND more importantly the ignition! Very Happy

I was so pleased I wasn't going to have to pull the ignition barrel!

Here's a few dash pics of the car:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not feeling that steering wheel and will be going back to stock - anyone know what it is?

I would like to try and get another genuine reversing light but have not found out what version this Hella one is yet - does anyone please have a part number for it?

Thanks.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

that symbol on the glass is bosch. I'm sure I've seen both NOS and repros of this style around online and at swapmeets but unfortunately don't have a P/N.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Silly me, of course it's a Bosch.

Can anyone confirm what the options were for reversing lights with part numbers if possible?

Thanks.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Well one of the nasty centrelines had a slow puncture and as I'd just bought a set of OG steelies in pretty good condition I thought I'd put one of them on to show a before and after of the car.

The tyres are all 165/80/15" so quite tall compared with the 175 that is on the back. Not sure if I'll like the taller tyre yet but it is a bit more period looking I guess.

I might just be lazy and paint the inner of the steel wheels black and leave the silver outer as I've not found some suitable paint yet that is brushable to paint them in the correct shades.

Anyway, before at the back, after at the front, and I know which I prefer!

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

I read your thread with interest. I’ve owned four Euro 67 Beetles and 2 have been 1500’s. Here are some pics of the first 1500 I owned 8 years ago - I’m currently trying to sell my 1970 1500 so I can buy this one back. This one is a bit of an oddball, as it’s a Swedish car with factory 12 volt and eberspacher heater. It also has different rear light lenses (larger reflector area). The Hubcaps are 1967 only 1500 ones. This car is all original and unwelded with original paint.
Here’s some pics:

Wheels are L43 Grey/Black centres with L581 Cloud white rims. I had to get the L43 matched from my steering wheel for the paint match as no code formula seemed to be available.

The other 1500 I had was also a Swedish lotus white car, but a lot rougher condition when I got it: had a shitty repaint I had to strip off and blend some repairs with. This car had a tan cloth interior. I’ll try and get pics up of that car.
Edit: Here it is:

FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Both of your bugs look lovely mate, but just try to get a different coloured 1500 next time eh?!

Thanks for the wheel paint code info - can you remember where you got the paints from in the end and what make/type they were please?

Those interiors look lovely, and I'm not surprised you're trying to buy that first bug back. Sure I might have seen it at some shows as the numberplate looks familiar?

Just a quick question as you mentioned the 1 year only hubcaps on the 1500. I thought they were only for the 5-stud 1200/1300 bugs and the 1500s had 4 inch wide 4-stud wheels?

I've got some 67 hubcaps but they're the double-lipped ones that go on the 1200/1300 5-studders? Yours don't look like that from what I can see?

The silver steel wheel on the car is a 4.5J afaik, with a standard flat hubcap.

I would be interested to see a closeup if you have it of the 4-stud 1500-only 67 hubcap if you have one at all?

Going back to that first lovely bug of yours - the car looks pretty early into the 67s being a D-plate and the earlier seats. But then again, being a Swedish/Euro car I see the lack of the hazard switch to the right of the key switch?

I love these 67 bugs - they keep me guessing and no 2 appear to be the same!

Thanks for posting up the pics and hope you have some more somewhere of them, plus are able to buy that first car back.
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments!

Here's a couple of photos of a spare 67 1500 only hubcap I sold a while back:

You can see it has a raised 'Nipple' section in the middle - probably can see better from inside - compare this with a 68 on hubcap and you'll see they are subtly different. Later caps have the same lip and fit in the same way - no double lip on these ones.
I got the paint mixed into rattle cans by my local auto paint factor - www.expresspaints.co.uk but you will find one close to where you live I'm sure.

Not sure on the hazard switch, I'll post up if/when the deal goes through! Or if I find closer pics..
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

I picked up a set of those caps at a swap meet decades ago! I put them on my 73 because I thought they had a subtle but different look. I always thought they were for a Type 3, had no idea they were that obscure.

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

How are the 1500 hubcaps different than the '68-up caps?
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How are the 1500 hubcaps different than the '68-up caps?

68 Up:

67 1500:

You can clearly see the larger raised centre on the latter.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

They're shaped more like the Porsche nipple hubcaps than the usual 68-up bug caps.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Interesting... I had always thought they were the same. Will the flatter '68-up fit, or are the stub axles too long for them?

I ask because my brother's Euro '67 seemed to have the later flat style... hard to tell from this grainy 40 year old photo:
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

I don't think it would make a difference in terms of axle clearance. The overall width is about the same, the difference is that the 68-up have more of a dome profile vs. flat with a nipple in the middle.

I'll try to take one off and take a side by side picture when I get home this evening.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

^ that would be very useful, thank you.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Totally forgot when I got home, sorry! I'll get some pics this evening.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

interestingly enough the parts book claims that both disk brake 67s and all 68-on have the same 311.601.151D chromed hubcap

of course the parts book has been known to contain some errors, specially when it comes to 67-only crazyness Laughing Laughing

by the way there is a 111.601.151E listed which is the non-chromed version for 68 and later 111 standards
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
interestingly enough the parts book claims that both disk brake 67s and all 68-on have the same 311.601.151D chromed hubcap

of course the parts book has been known to contain some errors, specially when it comes to 67-only crazyness Laughing Laughing

by the way there is a 111.601.151E listed which is the non-chromed version for 68 and later 111 standards

Interesting those part numbers you mention. Although afaik hubcaps never had the part numbers stamped on them (or it might just be all the ones I've ever had have been repro's or rusted on the inside) so this would definitely be a case of going for visual and weight confirmation!
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oops, just bought a UK-spec 1967 1500 beetle! Reply with quote

I’m assuming 66 and 67 type 3’s used the early design too?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: