Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spray paint cans for Thing colors ?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

So Thing 2 is up and running. Originally was pumpkin orange but the previous owner decided to paint it John Deere yellow. I am doing a body off restoration on Thing 1, so all my money is going there. I'd love to rattle can Thing 2 back to pumpkin orange. Does anyone know of any companies that sell rattle cans in pumpkin orange?

Thanks Alex from Ohio

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

I've had good luck with products from paintscratch.com. This includes saturn yellow touch-up paint for my 914, orange paint for my '73 Thing, and most recently, a metallic paint for my Honda Element.

PS: I have no affiliation with the company, just a happy repeat customer.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

most local auto paint suppliers can make aerosol cans with exact auto paint code colors. I have done it doing a 1960 Beetle vert restoration for a friend of mine. I needed ivory color for steering wheel restoration. worked out great and perfect for what i was doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

I'd go with orange Rustoleum. I have used Rustoleum products for years with great success. You can see guys on You Tube buying quarts of it to thin down and spray paint entire cars. If you have access to a compressor and a spray gun that may be a better way to go than using a bunch of rattle cans.
uglymug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

I'd follow up by saying that the Valspar Tractor & Implement paint in Kubota Orange is pretty close. Bonus is they sell it in the can (thin with naptha to spray, or mineral spirits to roll) and in the rattle can. I used the enamel hardener, respirator and lots of fresh air in my backyard. Color sands nicely if you can put on five or more coats. (I sanded through in a couple of areas because I only went with three.) And touch ups are a breeze.

The rust oleum Kubota Orange looks too 'bright' IMHO.
1973 Marina Blue Super Beetle Project "Blooper"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray paint cans for Thing colors ? Reply with quote

hey Alex,

there was a post on here from years ago about a fellow that painted a orange thing with about 32 cans of Krylon orange.

they did a lot of body work, welding/bondo, priming and sanding to get it super straight before paint.

Then, they wet sanded and buffed it. Looked very good, just a lot of elbow grease to get it that way.

I too have a 73 Thing I'd love to be able to paint myself when time comes, as well as a 51 Ford pickup in dire need of paint (been primer gray since the 70's) and One link I found on the idea was this:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0707-1962-ford-falcon-budget-paint-job/

I guess the idea for me was to be able to fix it myself when it got scratched or if the paint lifted from a repaired area or whatever.

The good "thing" about the Thing is they can be sectioned off in small areas which is perfect for rattle can or other type of spray devices. So you could work it in sections if it's a 1 man job.

Let us know how it goes, search around on the Samba and try google too.

Good luck with it!

T

Edit: I found that link I mentioned:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431339&highlight=rattle+orange
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: