Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandroCanovas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

I have always wanted a car from the year I was born, so I started looking I came across 2 VW's and now I am having a really hard time making a decision. So here I am asking for advice. One is in Mexico, and will need to be imported, it has had the same owner for 25 years, new paint and it doesn't not have the original engine which is rebuilt with 5K on it. The ones that stayed in Mexico for that year kept the little old school tail lights, have diferent dashboard, come with diferential slip ( REDUCTORES in spanish ) so they are slower and also they do not have any heating system. #2 is in the US original paint, engine, and mileage BIG tail lights and gas heater. I could send pics so you can see why I cannot make up my mind.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably learn a lot - from either.

The one in Mexico with one owner and reduction gear box sounds intriguing... it would be a good one to have and keep.

Best of luck!
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Importing cars?? Reply with quote

If your considering importing a car from Mexico. It probably does not meet US safety or emissions standards. In the past owners of cars that wanted to import them had to put up a bond (sometimes as much as 4 times the cost of the car) and get it certified and get it to pass US emissions. None of which the US government helps out on. If you are unable to get it to pass US safety standards and emissions often owners loss the bond and sometimes the car.

Thus you better check into to this before considering such.

I haven't dealt with this in several years but that use to be the requirements.

Chas
YULIUSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

1975 and older ..... No Check smog required.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

In California it’s 1975 and newer require smog.

As far as the choice between the two cars, I think the reduction boxes would be a novelty at first, but ultimately I’d wish it didn’t have them.

All other things being equal, pick the one with the least rust.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

SandroCanovas wrote:
The ones that stayed in Mexico for that year kept the little old school tail lights, have diferent dashboard, come with diferential slip ( REDUCTORES in spanish )

A limited slip differential is called "diferencial de bloqueo" in Spanish.
If a trans has reduction boxes, they say, "con reductores".
The two are not the same.

Somewhere I have pics of the Mexican made 73 Safari I bought while I was in Guatemala. It had an early 2 spoke steering wheel and swing axle suspension with reduction boxes. If I can find the pics, I will try to remember to post them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

BTW..do you guys realize you are answering a post from 10 years ago?

A decision has been made on the meantime I guess Smile
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safari VS 1973 Thing Reply with quote

perello wrote:
BTW..do you guys realize you are answering a post from 10 years ago?

A decision has been made on the meantime I guess Smile

If you had chosen not to point that out it would have been much more charitable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: