Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wasting my time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric arnold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: wasting my time Reply with quote

omg , i have built and sold a few cars , having said that i think i have heard every story known to man , first some people who have never built of worked on vws can find something wrong with everything and they never show up after many questions , or even better show up ,test drive and talking for an hour tell you they will get back to you , or even better they have to go home and ask there wife , crazy when i call about a car i show up with cash and a trailer to pick up and sometimes i drive a few hours , all i can say is please to all the watchers and tire kickers , STOP WASTING MINE AND YOUR TIME , thank you and have a great day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Feel better?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

what is this, facebook?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Just as the sun rises in the east there are looky loos that show up to see what’s for sale. Last year I had a real nice oval stored inside for years no rust original paint, shiny black floor pans matching numbers etc. Guy drove over 500 miles and proceeded to find tiny flaws which in no way would effect the value. He was real twitchy, scratching a lot making weird faces just like a meth head. So after two hours of constant movement and nonsensical talking he got back in his rig and took off. He told us that he often drives long distances to look at cars and more often than not does not buy. So it takes all kinds you get to meet some weird birds. I let the oval go cheap @ 4500 the next guy couldn’t get the money out fast enough. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Laughing Eric....I hope you didnt include me in that group.....And yeah - we have all been there...Fortunately I have only had this happen a couple times, but you have been through a lot more cars than I have. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.... Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

My road trip buddy and I went to BBB together and along the way stopped in Ely, NV to check out the towing yard full of trucks. So you know what that meant...

This past Sunday we towed my trailer with a 5 digit bucket of cash to hopefully buy a 12k truck. It was worth about 8k after full inspection. We brushed ourselves off and returned to Boise. Empty trailer, 14 hours drive time and a Sunday gone- it's part of the hobby. If the vehicle isn't right it's not going home.

I always find it easier to say no to a person rather than their car. Maybe they just don't deserve my money? Is it the tire kicker or the tire kickee?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
My road trip buddy and I went to BBB together and along the way stopped in Ely, NV to check out the towing yard full of trucks. So you know what that meant...

This past Sunday we towed my trailer with a 5 digit bucket of cash to hopefully buy a 12k truck. It was worth about 8k after full inspection. We brushed ourselves off and returned to Boise. Empty trailer, 14 hours drive time and a Sunday gone- it's part of the hobby. If the vehicle isn't right it's not going home.

I always find it easier to say no to a person rather than their car. Maybe they just don't deserve my money? Is it the tire kicker or the tire kickee?

Interesting way to look at it but all I’m interested in when buying is correct paperwork and car priced fairly, I’m not trying to be a buddy to the seller or buyer, it’s a business transaction that’s all.

Over the years I’ve met some really unique people selling and buying. Careful carrying large sums of cash some law enforcement can abuse search and seizure laws. Overpriced type 2s ? Who would have thought? 😂
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Link

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

I just figure its not the right car for them, and that is fine. Classic cars are not like the fast lane at Starbucks. Sales are 90% how they feel about the item. That can include dimensions beyond normal comprehension ( I've ask my wife what I can or can't own!!). Be patient and understanding or..continue driving yourself crazy.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
hitest wrote:

Interesting way to look at it but all I’m interested in when buying is correct paperwork and car priced fairly, I’m not trying to be a buddy to the seller or buyer, it’s a business transaction that’s all.

Over the years I’ve met some really unique people selling and buying. Careful carrying large sums of cash some law enforcement can abuse search and seizure laws. Overpriced type 2s ? Who would have thought? 😂

I agree- and he'll tell you, I wasn't much help with the truck, but I kept the owner's beautiful (albeit slobbery) Australian Shepherd mix off him !
Chad will tell you that helped him make a sound decision without a word about the truck. Cool

Sad but true about cash- but it helps when you look like believable citizens. Nevada is getting better at identifying the riff raff. Two clean cut, handsome fellows, what else could we be up to?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

Show up at my shop with a trailer and you'll be leaving with a car, parts, or a project...

Show up at my shop without a trailer when your coming to buy a "project" and I know your only there to snoop around because your "off" and have nothing better to do.
Whenever I get an ad response either through here of CL that says, "give me your address so I can see all you have", I respond "what in particular are you looking for?" If they are serious buyers, they narrow down to what they really want.

the ones that say, "I don't know, what do you have?" or " I just want to come see what you got" I tell to hit me up next month when I have more time avail to show and tell...
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
what is this, facebook?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

eric arnold wrote:
omg , i have built and sold a few cars , having said that i think i have heard every story known to man , first some people who have never built of worked on vws can find something wrong with everything and they never show up after many questions , or even better show up ,test drive and talking for an hour tell you they will get back to you , or even better they have to go home and ask there wife , crazy when i call about a car i show up with cash and a trailer to pick up and sometimes i drive a few hours , all i can say is please to all the watchers and tire kickers , STOP WASTING MINE AND YOUR TIME , thank you and have a great day

Are you related to Mark Tucker?

hitest wrote:
Two clean cut, handsome fellows, what else could we be up to?

I know you and I know Chad. Who were the clean cut, handsome fellows?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

When I am selling a car, I consider everyone to be Full of S$$T until they put cash in my hand.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

My personal favorite was when the guy shows up with his "expert" who tries to point out all the flaws & tells me that "it's going to cost... to fix it" & then tries to low ball me. While they were trying to negotiate, another buyer comes up, agrees to full asking price & then the first douchebag proceeds to try to outbid the new buyer by $1,000. I told him that he'd have to take it up with the new owner who left with the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
My personal favorite was when the guy shows up with his "expert" who tries to point out all the flaws & tells me that "it's going to cost... to fix it" & then tries to low ball me.

You just described every episode of Pawn Stars.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
My personal favorite was when the guy shows up with his "expert" who tries to point out all the flaws & tells me that "it's going to cost... to fix it" & then tries to low ball me.

You just described every episode of Pawn Stars.

I'll have to take your word for it, I've never watched it, but if you're desperate enough to go in to one of those places, I'm sure you're gonna get screwed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

We ALL become that buyer, if it not what we want, it is not what we want. Having a few retail stores, I know the feeling, there are buyers, window shopper, tire kickers, people who are using you as a price thermometer and so on and so on. Come with the territory.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

eric arnold wrote:

Stop Selling Cars ....

Problem Solved
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: wasting my time Reply with quote

reminds me of that classic scene with al pacino in the movie heat about wasting his time......unfortunately in all sales positions there are tire kickers...you can spot em a mile away
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: