Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kg0483
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 1984 1.9L Vanagon with a wiring harness that has seen better days. I purchased a new used harness off of ebay as a replacement. My problem is this new harness looks 90% correct except where it connects to the full throttle enrichment switch and idle switch on top of the throttle body. The 4 female spade type connectors are missing. Do I have the wrong harness? The seller said it was for an 84. How does the wiring to these switches connect to the computer? Are the spliced into the main harness or are the separate? I don't want to take off my old wiring harness to investigate because the van is my daily driver. Thanks in advance for any help.
-Kyle
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

You may have received a later 85 harness with uses a single throttle body switch. Both types have only 2 actual wires for the switch(es) but earlier ones split them off for 2 distinct switches. You can make it work if that is what you received.

Mark
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

GW maybe able to help with making that work. The description for their new throttle body says it is for the single switch years but a dual switch can be modified to work.
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

I have an 83.5 with the two switches on the throttle body. The full throttle enrichment switch and the idle switch go to the same pin on the ECU and I believe they are just teed off near where the connectors are. On later models they combined the switches mechanically into one switch on the throttle body. You can tee off the two connections and make them into four connections.
kg0483
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

From the looks of the harness I think I can make it work. Thanks for the good news guys.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

One wire is ground and one wire goes to the ecu. snip both wires at the connector, set them up so that both wires have 2 1/4" female spade connectors. This will make you have 1 ground wire with 2 spades and 1 ECU send wire 2 spades. hook 2 grounds to one side of both switches and 2 sends to the other side of both switches. Take a look at your old harness for reference.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

So if I’m going the other way from the 4 connection switch to the 2 connection can I just combine the 2 left wires and the 2 right wires together? I’m going the GW throttle body route.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

binger59, You would only need to connect one pair of the wires. On each switch, one of the wires goes to ground, and one of the wires goes to pin 4 on the ECU. On my harness, you can see where they tee off. You could connect one pair of the wires or modify the harness to just have two connections, one to ground and one to pin 4, and put new connectors on to ensure a good clean connection.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
So if I’m going the other way from the 4 connection switch to the 2 connection can I just combine the 2 left wires and the 2 right wires together? I’m going the GW throttle body route.

I was thinking of going the GW TB route too, but have you figured out what to do with the vacuum hoses that plug into the 1.9 TB that the 2.1 TB does not have?
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

Pascal yes I posted about it in another thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8620103&highlight=#8620103

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

Took a close look at an old harness and the splice is pretty straight forward like everyone said. Last question. New GW TPS, blue wire ground and black wire positive or the opposite?

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

I don't think it matters for that circuit.
vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiring harness help. 1.9L Vanagon Reply with quote

Pascal is correct, it is just a switch that connects the two wires together (signal to ground), so it doesn't matter which way you connect it. But I would put the ground wire to black, to stick with automotive convention.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: