Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I am a van lifer who has a regular 9-5'er. I usually catch a surf before work. What I'm looking for is any creative solutions for drying a wetsuit on the outside of the van. I work in a sketchy area and don't want a meth head to steal my wetsuit my doing the usual draping it off the mirror method. I also don't want to dry it inside my van as having that much moisture in a van SUCKS, especially with being full time in the van. Any ideas? Any folks have methods they want to share?

Gracias,
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

Add an exhaust fan to exhaust the moist van air and bring in outside air. Those little 3.5" computer fans run on 12vDC and use very little power, appx 3 watts or 1/4 amp. In 8 hours that's 2 amp-hours. You have to make sure your battery(s) can handle 2 amp-hours every day.

There are several sizes of fans. Your headlights, for example consume 10 amps (40x what the fan consumes).

A van has appx 360cubic feet of air, if that little fan can move 10 CFM then it exchanges the van air every 36 minutes. I have no idea what the CFM of those little fans is, the "10CFM" is a wild guess.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Add an exhaust fan to exhaust the moist van air and bring in outside air. Those little 3.5" computer fans run on 12vDC and use very little power, appx 3 watts or 1/4 amp. In 8 hours that's 2 amp-hours. You have to make sure your battery(s) can handle 2 amp-hours every day.

Your headlights, for example consume 10 amps (40x what the fan consumes).

A van has appx 360cubic feet of air, if that little fan can move 10 CFM then it exchanges the van air every 36 minutes.

you sir know a lot about fans!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

Have you tried driving around with the wetsuit on the mirror?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

run a vinyl coated steel cable thru the arms and lock it to the grab handle inside, cables running out between the door and frame. old motorcycle trick to keep your riding jacket from walking.

people can still cut the suit off the cable, ruining it, just to be mean but there are destroyers everywhere.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
run a vinyl coated steel cable thru the arms and lock it to the grab handle inside, cables running out between the door and frame. old motorcycle trick to keep your riding jacket from walking.

people can still cut the suit off the cable, ruining it, just to be mean but there are destroyers everywhere.

-dan

I like that one.

Another option would be to find an old rocket box, drill a bunch of 1-2" diameter holes in it, maybe fab some sort of horizontal rack inside, and then lay/lock your suit in it up on the roof.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

Surfing in Montana?...... Think

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Missoula has a standing wave and meth heads. So that was my first guess but, given the temperatures there's not much chance of anything drying outside right now.

Why the OP isn't skiing/snowboarding this time of year (and during such a great year) is beyond me. Laughing
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

if you have a gym membership can't you leave it in a locker there an have it dry?
Finagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

If you have a decent, or even medium-sized rack on the roof, I could see some method by which you sandwich the wet suit between some heavy-ish gauge metal screen. Locking said screen to the rack?

Assuming it's a dry or cloudless day, you'd probably have a black wetsuit dry within an hour or two.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I actually live in California now... It is an unorthadox handle Wink.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

-dan

I like this idea. I think I might give it a go.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

these or roll yer own....

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/locks-alarms?limit=all

-dan
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

You wouldn't want the wetsuit exposed to sunlight all day, it would get ruined pretty quickly. Neoprene does not like UV I believe.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
You wouldn't want the wetsuit exposed to sunlight all day, it would get ruined pretty quickly. Neoprene does not like UV I believe.

Yeah, I was thinking about that... Here's an idea, what if I get one of those marine powered solar fans and install that on the top of my swing away box I have on the back of the van with a dry rack to drape my suit on? I think we are on to something. That would incorporate the fan idea from earlier... Would seem like a wast of storage though....
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about that... Here's an idea, what if I get one of those marine powered solar fans and install that on the top of my swing away box I have on the back of the van with a dry rack to drape my suit on? I think we are on to something. That would incorporate the fan idea from earlier... Would seem like a wast of storage though....
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

i'll take a fading wetsuit over the smell of a continually damp one anyday! they gotta be hung up to dry!

-dan
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

The guy that actually started the #vanlife he surfed and he created a wetsuit drying closet in his van. You need to do some research and find out what he did. For full timers this would be good for towels and laundry.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer

Last edited by 70coupyel on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

I hang(strap it half way point, not on a wetsuit hanger) mine on my bike hitch rack all the time both on the van and my civic. Most ppl don't want to steal or touch damp clothes. I also drive around with it, usually if i get on the freeway, it will be mostly dry on the outside in 30-40min and i flip it inside out and dry that again. But other nice driver always honking at me and let me know i have a wetsuit on my bike rack.
If you have a westy or poptop you can also throw it up at the luggage rack but that is as long you remember to take it down before you drive off.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Keep moving West, you won't need a wetsuit. Sorry, I couldn't resist..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: