Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deweyoop2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

i have a 1962 beetle i'm wanting to use to tow a future "tiny house" and i know the dry weight of the house is 7000 lbs. is there something special i need to install on beetle to make it alright to tow it?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Absolutly no way a Bug can tow 7000 Lbs. 1/2 ton pick-up would be straining to pull it. You need a 3/4 ton pickup to pull that much weight.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

You are doing a pre April 1st joke aren't you?

I have towed a fiberglass dune buggy (Mini-T) with a Baja Bug and it was a load to pull, gets really goofy when hit with a side wind or you get into a wear track in the pavement. The bug has no decent wheel base for towing, even the new bugs are not rated by VW for towing.

That exceed even the max load of my 92 Dakota with a V8 by at least a ton.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Deweyoop2 wrote:
i have a 1962 beetle i'm wanting to use to tow a future "tiny house" and i know the dry weight of the house is 7000 lbs. is there something special i need to install on beetle to make it alright to tow it?

Is this a joke ?

If not - you need a “ magic wand “ ......
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Oh no by all means do tow it with the VW...its the stopping you would probably have an issue.
Get a 1 tone dually you will be glad you did.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Tow a Tiny House?
No problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Sell the tiny house, sell the beetle, buy a kick ass bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Deweyoop2 wrote:
is there something special i need to install on beetle to make it alright to tow it?

A truck.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

You could tow one of those tiny pop up camper tent trailers for motorcycles.

My Dad made a small utility trailer tent back in the day to pull behind his bug while taking the boys out troop camping. He hauled all the gear in it then made a put together pole frame and canvas to convert it to a little one man trailer tent.

He still has the frame of it. He used the wheels and axle from a 34 Ford. I should get it and make something cool out of it to pull behind my hippy bug.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Tow 7000#... now that's funny.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

7,000lbs!!! LOFL! No, just no.

I bought one of these to pull with my 2012 Kawasaki Voyager 1700, it weighs 380lbs. I pull it with my Subaru Forester as well and I plan on pulling it with my ‘65 Bug. Not lying, I often had to check behind me to make sure it was still there while pulling it behind the Subaru.

It is really small folded up and when opened up there is plenty of room inside, it has room for a queen air mattress too. Takes about 5 minutes or so to set up and about 10 minutes to close up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Hey guys bing a little tuff aren’t we here’s a picture of my Baja and my 4000lb pet rock.Had her all the way from Pa. to N.C.and back you probably say way a pet rock on a trailer because she has grown to big to fit in the car anymore.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

LOL. You're just encouraging him.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Booky wrote:
Hey guys bing a little tuff aren’t we here’s a picture of my Baja and my 4000lb pet rock.Had her all the way from Pa. to N.C.and back you probably say way a pet rock on a trailer because she has grown to big to fit in the car anymore.

Looks pretty savage too, with that big chain collar. But she's a good girl, isn't she? Who's a good girl? She's a good girl.
*wag wag wag
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Just curious - why would anybody tow a rock from PA to NC and back?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
Just curious - why would anybody tow a rock from PA to NC and back?

Because it's only rock & roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do!!!
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

The inability of some people to recognize humor/sarcasm/trolling can be just as hilarious as the original joke. Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Towing weight for 1962 Volkswagen beetle Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
The inability of some people to recognize humor/sarcasm/trolling can be just as hilarious as the original joke. Laughing

So then we're done....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: