Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1932 Lincoln Kit Car
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Hello,

I was told I could come over here and link to my thread. Basically I inherited a 1932 Lincoln KB Kit Car that has (what I've learned from being on this forum) a 71-73 VW Motor.

Had a crap-ton to learn, please be patient with me. I come from a Ford family. I know basics about cars, but some of the verbiage will confuse me and I'll need clarification a lot Smile

Anyways glad to be here and thanks for any and all help in advance.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693082

- Brandon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

That is one sweet kit car! Very Happy
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Very cool car, welcome to the craziness.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

The Car is called a Mini Mark by Bremen Sport Equipment. Over the years they were sold both as Turnkey and Kits. Looking at the pics in your other post it would appear that your car was kit and not a factory built model.

The difference being you do not have the data tag above the engine as it should for a factory built turnkey.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Welcome, that thing is screaming paint me black and paint skulls and other demons on it...it looks like something the Munsters would drive or that evil chick in 101 Dalmatians drove. ..not bashing your car, I think it is cool as heck. ..if it was mine, I'd drive it every day! ...but it would have to be black. Dancing
P.S. that chrome around the body has to go.
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I'm not exactly sure what I have, what it's worth, etc.

I'd like to get it in better working condition and then try to make a call on keep it or sell it.

I have no ties to the vehicle, got it for damn near free honestly. But I have two small kids, and don't have a ton of money to put into it either.

Maybe I'll sell it and take a good ole Griswold family vacation Smile
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Wow, so my original topic (in which I was asked to also post on this forum) got locked. So looks like I'm posting here... anyways, here was my last post in that topic.

Great feedback from all. Thank you! Remember I said I was not a master mechanic, but I do have a basic understanding of engines and carbs (just not today's modern stuff).

Just for an update, some of the things I have looked into, questionable and broken.

Looked into:

- Got the VW Beetle Auto Repair Manual, nice book thanks
- Checked the sparkplugs, replaced spark plugs except for plug 1, I can't get the plug socket on it all the way or something. I don't think it's stripped or broken though.

Noticed:

- Car is idling low
- Speedometer is doing something, but it's like it's just going up and down, not a solid speed
- Tach doesn't work at all
- Light behind tach and speedo don't work
- Brake, turn and head lights all work but are slow to repeat
- The floorboards have some strange stuff going on, really need to take a look at this sometime soon... basically I can't tell if there is wood holding up the seats or if those are there to give the seats something to fasen to, either way it's safety related so I'll be looking at that soon, don't want to end up like the Flintstones
- The suspension is really loose when driving, big adjustments steer the car, little ones do nothing, so you kind of go back and forth down the road

Broken:

- Fiberglass seat has a tear/broken where it meets the bolt, oversized washers have been used, but may be broken as well.
- Missing something from the engine/heating/cooling area, need to go back and re-read this thread for what that may be.
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Sounds like you got your work all sorted out...make a list and do one task at a time. ..your electrical problems could be ground related. ..I'd go over the entire car with a test light and test every ground connection, make sure you have solid grounds from engine to chassis . ..fiberglass is not a good conductor Laughing

How about more pics of the interior?
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Sounds like you got your work all sorted out...make a list and do one task at a time. ..your electrical problems could be ground related. ..I'd go over the entire car with a test light and test every ground connection, make sure you have solid grounds from engine to chassis . ..fiberglass is not a good conductor Laughing

How about more pics of the interior?

Sure, I'll get some and post them. I am not exactly sure where all of the grounds would/should be. :/
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Responses in bold italics

rtr2006 wrote:
Wow, so my original topic (in which I was asked to also post on this forum) got locked. So looks like I'm posting here... anyways, here was my last post in that topic.

Great feedback from all. Thank you! Remember I said I was not a master mechanic, but I do have a basic understanding of engines and carbs (just not today's modern stuff). [b]Thants what's nice about these cars[/b]

Just for an update, some of the things I have looked into, questionable and broken.

Looked into:

- Got the VW Beetle Auto Repair Manual, nice book thanks
- Checked the sparkplugs, replaced spark plugs except for plug 1, I can't get the plug socket on it all the way or something. I don't think it's stripped or broken though. Did you notice little rubber boots on the ends of your plug wires? These go over the ceramic on the plugs. Fish around on the plug and you will find that little boot stuck on the plug

Noticed:

- Car is idling low
- Speedometer is doing something, but it's like it's just going up and down, not a solid speed
Pull the hubcap off the drivers front wheel The speedo cable goes through a square hole in the dust cap and held in place with a C clip - if you dont have a clip, drill a little hole in teh cable end and insert a small cotter pin. Might just have come out or the hole got rounded or your cable may be bad. Can also be the speedo, but rule these out first
- Tach doesn't work at all - Should be connected to the - side of the coil - if you have points, its where the green wire from the condensor goes.
- Light behind tach and speedo don't work Do you have a rotary dimmer on your light switch? Also look to see if a wire came off. They are usually daisy chained.
- Brake, turn and head lights all work but are slow to repeat
- The floorboards have some strange stuff going on, really need to take a look at this sometime soon... basically I can't tell if there is wood holding up the seats or if those are there to give the seats something to fasen to, either way it's safety related so I'll be looking at that soon, don't want to end up like the Flintstones
- The suspension is really loose when driving, big adjustments steer the car, little ones do nothing, so you kind of go back and forth down the road. First thing is to confirm that your toe is correct. Can be measured in your driveway and there are methods on here - front should be in about 1//8". Also look at your steering shaft. It had been extended - look at any connections between the original and the added pieces. Look at any of the rubber or urethan couplers to see if there is excessive play. Need check the tie rod ends for excessive were. Finally you may need to adjust your steering box. Many times folks just start tuning nuts or adjustments on the box without knowing what they are doing and will mess them up. I ended up replacing the box on the MG replica since it was a mess.

Broken:

- Fiberglass seat has a tear/broken where it meets the bolt, oversized washers have been used, but may be broken as well.
- Missing something from the engine/heating/cooling area, need to go back and re-read this thread for what that may be.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you notice little rubber boots on the ends of your plug wires? These go over the ceramic on the plugs. Fish around on the plug and you will find that little boot stuck on the plug

Sorry... I wasn't specific enough. I can't get the spark plug socket on it all the way. There's not a ton of clearance beside it to really try anything else either. So I'm running 3 new plugs and 1 old :/
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Clean looking car from what you have shown. Veewee, I can picture it sitting on your chassis Twisted Evil
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Clean looking car from what you have shown. Veewee, I can picture it sitting on your chassis Twisted Evil

Yah...I wish Pray ...at least I would have a front end on my car Laughing Laughing
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

rtr2006 wrote:
Quote:
Did you notice little rubber boots on the ends of your plug wires? These go over the ceramic on the plugs. Fish around on the plug and you will find that little boot stuck on the plug

Sorry... I wasn't specific enough. I can't get the spark plug socket on it all the way. There's not a ton of clearance beside it to really try anything else either. So I'm running 3 new plugs and 1 old :/

Maybe the previous owner used a different size plug on that cylinder. ..did you try using a 5/8" socket? ...people are known to use a smaller diameter socket plug for hard to get to plugs...meaning, that plug is the same heat range just a smaller diameter socket. ..I've run into this before when my 13/16" just kept turning and not grabbing the plug. ..I thought the plug was stripped out at first.
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Maybe the previous owner used a different size plug on that cylinder. ..did you try using a 5/8" socket? ...people are known to use a smaller diameter socket plug for hard to get to plugs...meaning, that plug is the same heat range just a smaller diameter socket. ..I've run into this before when my 13/16" just kept turning and not grabbing the plug. ..I thought the plug was stripped out at first.

Solid suggestion, I will try it. Thanks
Dougiebugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

You have a GREAT kit car, well actually not a kit car but a factory manufactured car buy Bremen car company in Indiana. The company is out of business now but has produced several cars including the Sebring turbo. Both have their own 14 digit VIN number, should be eay to register. I happen to have both cars, They have the exact same dash. VW drivetrain. Mine is registered as a 1990 MiniMark.. I also like the removal top for an instant dune buggy. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine......I have zoom tubes, sounds like a V8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Dougiebugs wrote:
You have a GREAT kit car, well actually not a kit car but a factory manufactured car buy Bremen car company in Indiana. The company is out of business now but has produced several cars including the Sebring turbo. Both have their own 14 digit VIN number, should be eay to register. I happen to have both cars, They have the exact same dash. VW drivetrain. Mine is registered as a 1990 MiniMark.. I also like the removal top for an instant dune buggy. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine......I have zoom tubes, sounds like a V8

Odd you say they're out of business... but I did get in touch with someone who was very helpful to me. Thanks for the reply... also... the top does come off Smile
rtr2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Adding some photos from the "inside"

kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1932 Lincoln Kit Car Reply with quote

Not all are factory built. I have spoke to the former owner of the company and he told me the factory built cars had the Bremen Tag right above the engine and the Title would say Bremen Mini Mark.

Also they were out of business before 1990 if I recall so it would be odd that you would have a car registered as a 1990

Dougiebugs wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: