Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Vince,
we finally used foil and a "tear off fabric" that was recommended to us by a boat builder.
Worked very well. I will post pictures soon.
However I liked your idea of using latex paint as well..
As I wrote to you by mail and SMS the shipping is organized from my side and I am so happy your are doing this!
I look forward to receive your mold and I think it was actually very good for us to do the battery tray as practice- actually I think it is more complex by it's shape so we should get along fine with the "bulb".

All my best
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Happy to help. Mold all packed up ready to go.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Best Regards
Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Meyers Lovers,
today I received my membership card in the meyers manx club along with a MMC magazine from last summer--hey Vince--you're in there..I am startin to believe in "Carma" Very Happy
Anyhow we glassed the battery bay, was a good experience.
The shape is quite challenging if you think about where it tends to brake.
I tried to develop a cutting pattern that on one side allowed me to blend the thickness (8mm wall thickness...100 mm surface area to attach it to) not to have some bulky appearnce- on the other hand I wanted the corners covered so they can take the stress as there is where it broke.
So I came up with the cutting sceme you can see on the following images.
The glass we used is very fine for 1st layer inside, then a "45°" orientation meaning that all fibres are in a 45 degree angle and knittet together. This gives a very even distribution of force.
We made 8 layers of that then finished with another layer of the "tear of fabric". Then let it cure . Today we sanded out the areas where we had a little air on the top layer ( we had an accident during moulding- the mould was held in place by a car jack that was standing on a wooden pallet-well, it slipped of he palletand we had to quickly put everything back in place but we got some air bubbles we could not work out anymore..). Then we layed a final layer of glass with similar structure to the Manx last outside layer today.
We think it came out pretty ok for the first work.
Looking at the pictures it might appear not very "even on the edges to the top plane but this is because of the black marker we used to cut the layers, looking at it for real it is pretty straight. THe marker fools the eye. Will take care abot the inside toorrow.
Have a great day.
All my best
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

By chance, did this Manx come from the State of West Virginia in the US?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

PHYZ wrote:
Vince,
thank you so much for your kind reply and also your offer to help with the mold.
I do not think there is another MK1 in Germany because they never have been street legal here ( I will have to do a lot of tricks to get it licenced..) and I have been looking very hard for one in Europe when I wanted to buy one. No chance...finally advertised in SAMBA and bought it from West Virginia Very Happy .
]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

That was my buddy Glen's Manx. He just passed away 1-28-18.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
That was my buddy Glen's Manx. He just passed away 1-28-18.

Sad news about your friend Glen, If indeed his old buggy loks to be in good hands.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Heyuqt1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Just finished my Manx and took it for its maiden voyage yesterday. Stay focused as the body I bought was sight unseen and I would have never done it for my first car build if I had put eyes on it before purchase. It was in horrible shape and even lost some of its "shape" from living in a field for most of its life. It took me about a year and a half from start to finish. I learned a lot about all phases of everything during the build. I wished I had seen your column earlier as I had to cut the bottoms out of the tire well and battery box as it went on an IRS pan and the arms hit. I bought all the parts together but didn't know until I went to bolt the body down for the first time that the body and pan didn't go together. I actually saved the pieces I cut out in case for whatever reason someday it could be put back together. It has been the greatest most rewarding project of my life and can't wait to really enjoy it. Have fun and don't give up.... it's a long process!!

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hallo, Justus. You are very well connected with your labor and experts to rebuild the Manx. I'll be looking forward to your progress. Do you have a plan to register it with the strict TUeV once it is mechanically completed? Unique vehicle application (Einzelabnahme)?

I was born in Wolfsburg! After growing up and going to college in USA I worked for 2 years in VW's FE tech center but then returned to the USA in 1983, staying in the automotive field. Just before I left WOB, I stopped in the small junkyard by the Industriegebiet and bought a few sets of used WOB license plates to hang up in my home garage.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hello everybody and sorry for the radio silence- I have had no connection to internet the past 2 weeks..
I am very sad to hear that Glen passed away. It was his. He and Lona answered my search request here on Samba and after a few conversations we agreed on the deal. He was a very kind and nice guy. If you see Lona please tell her I am sorry.

@Rome
thank you for your kind words.. we are working with FE everyday. We are doing project management for VW suppliers in Wob, full service key accounting from RFQ to EOP.
And yes Very Happy I am trying to get it through TÜV. I have already spoken to some and have identified to serious and good guys from TÜV that are willing to help with the project and one more in the "grey zone".... Rolling Eyes
Since Mr Kummetat kindly offered some help and established contact to the TÜV engineer that usually does his cars there is a good chance since they are way more crazy that what I am trying to do. But for those of you unfamiliar with TÜV is does give very strict limitations to what parts you can use and what not. I can only use those parts basically that have been type approved for a beetle of the era plus 10 years and what could have been done to it in that time, nothing newer. Everything outside of that needs to be positively judged by a TÜV engineer and that is a very hard process...
This week we will restart action and laminate the famous bulb this threat started with and for which we kindly received the mould from Vince--- (still can't believe the great sense of cameradery in this forum).. will post pictures soon.
Thank you all for your kind comments and good advice. I was really hoping I could show Glen a picture of the finished product... so sorry.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Almost forgot.
@ Heyugt1 your buggy looks great. Great inspiration and thank you for the motivation.
You really did a super job !! Applause Applause
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted to add something,
your buggy is a great built. Today I was in a rush abit because I had to work on all mybusiness mails for being cut off for 2 weeks...
I can see you have spent a lot of time and effort on details and I think we did not see yet 10% of it. F.ex. the solution for the battery connection not to mention the battery holder. Really top job with an overall concept visible to those that are working or have been working on a Manx for themselves.
If you do not mind please share a little bit more abour your work and what problems you faced and how you solved. THe few pictures you posted display your code of honour in your craftmansship. Do not worry 'bout the bulb Very Happy
I was just lucky I asked and Vince read it.

This is to everyone n the forum, if you think I could be of any use fnding information or parts in Germany: ASK! I will be more than happy to assist.
As I wrote to Vince previously "if our political leaders would only take the way we approach things and help each other over continents and nationalities as an example the world would be a better place.
All my best

Justus
Heyuqt1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words about my buggy. I am a welder by trade so all things metal were no problem. I completely reworked the pan as it looked like the body, all rusted out and cut wrong for the buggy body. I recut it and then for the pan sides I used tubing along the body mount sides with nurserts to mount the body and flat Sheetmetal for the floors. The dash I built from scratch from sheetmetal using pictures. I didn't have a fiberglass one as a template so that took a little time. Same with the cage. I only have one die for my tubing bender and it was a little too big of radius in my opinion but thats all I had. The paint and body was a challenge. I have never painted a complete car and have only done a little fiberglass work but I learned a lot. In my opinion the coolest thing I did was made a fiberglass "shelf" under the hood. I forgot to take pictures of it but it closes off the the space behind the dash so air can't come up under the hood and down on your knees. I laid sheetmetal from the back of the dash up to the backside of the fuel tank as a mold. I then took tape and sealed it off and covered with wax paper so the fiberglass wouldn't stick. I cut a section of pipe on an angle length wise for over the steering column and covered with paper as well. I didn't know if this is the "right" way but it worked flawlessly. It fits perfect and is removeable. I'm sure it could have been permanently glassed in but I wanted it removable. I have increased luded underdash pictures to see the piece I made. I then mounted an aluminum plate to it to mount the fuse panel relays ect. It was great as I ran only one ground wire to the plate and everything was grounded to it. If anybody has any questions or wants certain pictures I can take them.

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

That is a super clean build, the under dash is awesome!
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

I knew there were more stories abourt your buggy Smile
Great job.
Finally last week we started moulding the bulb. Unfortunately when we started to prepare the surrounding areas we had to realize that previous repairs needed to be repaired...so the cutting out cam eto the limits of Vince's mould. As you can see in the pictures we then did it in several steps three days in a row with a lot of grinding in between.
Today we will laminate the final layers of "traditional " glass fiber to achieve the original looks and add some stabillity. The works today will also cover some of the previously "unmolested " area between battery tray and spare wheel tray and the back side / fire wall towards the engine that also has some large portions of air laminated into it...
So by the end of the week we hope to finish the works from down under and turn the body to take care about all the little cracks and holes and also the cut out for the air filter...
All my best -and Vince: Your mould worked out well and came out unmolested. We will send it back this week. That support was priceless!!!
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Looking great Justus! Very clean job.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Very nice work. The result will show the effort put into it.

I repaired a early body in poor shape a few years ago. In addition to the tire well, I had to re-do the battery well, and bond the "doors" back int the body.

My plug was taken from a very early Square Tail Manx which did not have the brake line bracket bump in it. The finished repair consisted of 3 total lay ups with 4 layers per lay up to mimic the original thickness.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Dear Vince,
dear Joescustoms,
thank you for your kind words.
I will send more pics later today. We are quite happy how it turned out in the end.
However what bothers me is Joescustoms comment" taken from an early square back Manx that did not have the bulb molded in...
Is it possible that mine did not have a bulb in the first place? Shocked
It is from february 1968.
That would be a lessons learned. Does anyone know?
@Joescustoms: we also layed 12 layers in total to achieve the calculated thickness of 8mm.
All my best
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

PHYZ wrote:
Dear Vince,
dear Joescustoms,
thank you for your kind words.
I will send more pics later today. We are quite happy how it turned out in the end.
However what bothers me is Joescustoms comment" taken from an early square back Manx that did not have the bulb molded in...
Is it possible that mine did not have a bulb in the first place? Shocked
It is from february 1968.
That would be a lessons learned. Does anyone know?
@Joescustoms: we also layed 12 layers in total to achieve the calculated thickness of 8mm.
All my best

Yours should have had the bump in the tire well from the factory in '68. The Square Tail bodies were very few in number and were produced in '65 and '66 only.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: