Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pumping Gas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Has any one else been having problems with pumping gas while having to manually hold the EVP cover back when filling your Vanagon?

The black thing in the pic below..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

I don’t have to hold the evp back, but I do need to hold the nozzle in the fill neck, otherwise the nozzle will eject itself and pump gasoline on the ground.

Are you holding the evp back to keep the pump from shutting off? That may indicate the tanks vent system isn’t working (to vent the air into the charcoal canister while the gas replaces air in the tank).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

We had a self-ejecting nozzle at a gas station in Garberville once.

The attendant was unconcerned, but assured me they'd get right on the case.

Good thing it didn't spark along its flight plan. But that's the only such incident on this type of pump and I mostly tend to put it on auto-fill.

The connections never feel all that well-designed, so I've been using more manual-fill when inspired. It can't be a bad idea, unless of course it doesn't shut off when full and there go your killer new Chacos.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

What's an EVP cover? We have tradewinds.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Ha!! Hana hou!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

It's a thing the 8th largest economy in the world uses to keep clean air.

God, the air in LA in the 70s was awful, and we took it for granted. Watch an episode of Chips and a highway scene.

Aloha Tom!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

In the metro area of Portland and other larger city's we have the evp at the pumps, when on E or time for a fill it usually cuts me short of about 2 gallons compared to the old pump types.

I've also noticed that certain pumps at my favorite local station pump at different speeds and am able to fill desired amount without getting tripped, kinda makes me think that pump speed has gotten faster in recent years compared to the past.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

I do not have that problem with my '87 van, but definitely have that problem with my 1973 bus, same with the 1977 bus. Biggest problem I have with the '87 van is when the gas tank is full, it trips the gas pump fill nozzle closed, and that makes the damn thing fall off and splatters gas everywhere as it clatters to the ground.

I think the bigger problem with filling the old bus with those nozzles has more to do with the angle and flow rate. I have to hold the nozzle just right the whole time I fill up.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
In the metro area of Portland and other larger city's we have the evp at the pumps, when on E or time for a fill it usually cuts me short of about 2 gallons compared to the old pump types.

I've also noticed that certain pumps at my favorite local station pump at different speeds and am able to fill desired amount without getting tripped, kinda makes me think that pump speed has gotten faster in recent years compared to the past.

One of the most irritating things when the "new" unleaded fuel nozzles came out was how long it took to fill a tank!

Fuel all but dribbled out of that tiny spout!

Any old timer will vouch for how quickly fuel flowed from the old school leaded nozzles.

We used to remove those stupid nozzle size restrictors too........ then they started welding them in.

Jersey has those vapor recovery nozzles, what a PITA....... especially when filling cans!
I wonder why we even bother collecting vapors....... considering we are the last to get the West's air and it is simply drifting out into the Atlantic after we are done with it...... Laughing

On my Van a slow fill at the end is the name of the game. It has a bad habit of rudely burping at the completion of a fill up.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
... God, the air in LA in the 70s was awful, and we took it for granted. ...

It was worse in the 50's. We had smog alerts in high school.

I left SoCal in 1957. The air in China is worse, but it is cleansed by 5000 miles of ocean and rain before it reaches Kaneohe.

Aloha
tp
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Abscate wrote:
... God, the air in LA in the 70s was awful, and we took it for granted. ...

It was worse in the 50's. We had smog alerts in high school.

I left SoCal in 1957. The air in China is worse, but it is cleansed by 5000 miles of ocean and rain before it reaches Kaneohe.

Aloha
tp

I was in the diplomatic corps with pops back then. 😀

The history of the LA smog is amazing.

First LA smog attack was in 1945..people thought it was a Japaneses gas attack

In the 1950s, the auto industry used Stanford Research institute as a surrogate to deny that cars caused pollution. They asserted it was a " natural consequence of the LA basin geography"

Sound familiar to today? 😀

Pollution controls started in the 1960s but it took the cat and the sealed evap system to clean it up, starting in 1975

Ny can thank CA for its clean air by starting the trend and forcing the industry to develop cleaner engines.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

There is (or there used to be advertised) a motorcycle accessory that is a collar designed to hold that black bellows back from the spout to help improve the fillup experience. Google just helped me find a product known as McCuff designed to do the same.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to add a haiku I composed some years ago:

Gassing up the van
Fuel pukes from the filler tube.
Two flammable shoes.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Yeah, those spring loaded things require constant holding against the fill tube.

The valve handle locks have been taken off of a lot of pumps around here.

I usually only set to the first notch and watch the pump gallon gauge. Otherwise, gasoline baptism.

When I go to New Jersey it is Full Service Fueling only and the attendants set the nozzle lock and walk away. Splashback every effing time.

Got me a "Jersey girls don't pump gas" bumper sticker when I was down at the shore.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas (Poetry!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Gassing up the van
Fuel pukes from the filler tube.
Two flammable shoes.

That... was a good haiku. POACHING ON MY PRESERVE, ARE WE? And WELL, too...

I must throw down!

Ten gallons in...
Consequence of overfill dire.
Feeling lucky, Punk?

Shocked

Best!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Im not going to stay here unless Haiku stays traditional 5-7-5
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

Huh, I was hopeful this thread was about filing up the tank and how gas was better/worse when we were kids.

Tricks I've employed: turn handle upside down 'cause it catches the lip and holds on better somehow, put it on the slowest setting possible, watch the gal./liters closely on the pump while filling and remember just where the gauge was prior to starting, listen near filler neck for sound of gas getting full in tank - the pitch goes up, quick stop. I can't let the auto shutoff try to accomplish the job as inevitably the overflow runs out the top and stinks up my van as the runoff drools all over. Not good for environment, or shoes. And I actually despise the SMELL of gasoline. Its amazing tho, how much worse gas smells in Mexico. Can't remember smelling gas in Canada, maybe its better up there? Never had the opportunity to fill or drive anything anywhere other than north of the Yucatan in the Merikkas. Was too young when we lived in Daegu Korea, and the University had a car/driver take us where we wanted to go anyway. That's where I saw my first Karmann Ghia, a Canary Yellow '72 Coupe'. Brand new, brought there by the US Government fellow that kept tabs on our family. Probably the most influential moment in my awakening to cool looking cars. My brothers called it Mower's Flower Power car. Once in a while, late at night in our little house, while my dad worked late at his desk in the family room, we'd hear him randomly say "F*ck the CIA!" Of course our house was bugged.

Oh, and gas was 25 cents / Gal first time I remember paying, used to fill my '75 Honda XR75, usually took around 15 cents. I think it was $275 on sale in mid '76 'cause it was last years' model. My dad says he remembers 3 cents a Gal.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

I pump my gas on half pressure, but it still burps (sprays all over the place) if I don't catch it before it fills up, this seems to be happening more often than it used to. Last time it did it, it got all over my new boots, which seriously ticked me off! Evil or Very Mad

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

I can't be the only one who has looked at the tank vent line entering the BOTTOM of the filler neck and thinking that this defies simple logic and physics!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
joethebeekeeper01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pumping Gas Reply with quote

I've had issues with those healy nozzles as well. Although holding the boot allows you to fill up I suspect the root cause is the auto shut off siphon in the nozzle, compressing the bellows by hand just allows you to reposition the tip so the siphon is not tripped prematurely. Which could be a sign of an issue with you vans vapor control system or the station itself.

I have better luck with vst nozzles found on balance gas stations (balance is one of the two types of vapor control tech for gas stations https://goo.gl/images/FycKpe ). Vst nozzles are shaped a little more like a "old school" nozzle which may be why they work better.

Emco nozzles (also found on balance style stations https://goo.gl/images/H2RuhT ) like to spring out of the tank in my experience so I avoid those stations if I have the choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: