Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI fuel pump relay
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Do these colored wires look correct and in the right place? It's a fuel injection fuel pump relay on a 68 fastback.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

This is one of those times you'll have to get a wiring diagram (check the "Technical" tab above) and track down both ends of the wires to make sure.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Yes, if you look closely (and maybe have to clean with a swab), you can see the terminal numbers on the bakelite plate on the bottom of the relay. Those correspond to those on the wiring diagram, which will show you which wire is which.

Main:

FI Relays (pump relay is the lower of the two)

Yours looks right to me, but you can check the path of the two red wires... one to power (30/51), one to the pump up front (87). 85 & 86 are encased in that white plastic housing.
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

That's exactly what I thought I pulled the wires off I could see the numbers on it. It looks wired correctly to me I just needed a second opinion. So thanks for your input guys I appreciate it, I'll have to do some more digging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
Do these colored wires look correct and in the right place? It's a fuel injection fuel pump relay on a 68 fastback.

I think you're missing a wire (empty terminal) for the AAR valve. The wiring should be in the harness for the rear of the car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I think you're missing a wire (empty terminal) for the AAR valve. The wiring should be in the harness for the rear of the car.

Makes sense if it's an automatic. Otherwise that AAR wire is clipped flush where it comes out of a jacket nearby. From your gallery, it looks like you have /had both stick and auto. Which is this one?

I've actually never seen where the electric AAR wire connects, and it's not on any wiring diagram I can recall. My '71 automatic had one, but I never had to bother with the FI relay so I never saw it. It makes sense there... only warming the AAR while the engine is running; so leaving the key on but the engine stationary, neither the FI pump nor AAR get power. Good thinking in both cases.
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

If your having problems with this relay. if memory serves me correctly, this relay gets power from the relay under the rear seat passenger side.
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

This relay is the one under the dash, it is suppose to supply power to the electric FI fuel pump. KTPhil I do have an automatic in my 69 Squareback FI, but this is for my 68 FI fastback standard transmission, and then there's my 66 notchback, I haven't started working on that one yet.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

My relay, from a 1971 automatic car:

rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Hey Donnie great pic, thanks. But look at your white plastic plug wires, it looks like mine are reversed. Maybe that's why my car won't start.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

I always thought the plastic plug was used instead of plain connectors to ensure it COULDN'T be plugged in backwards.

Anyone got a photo of the relay without any wires connected? Are those two pins out of alignment so the plastic housing can't be inserted backwards? Or is the flange on the plastic intended to prevent this? Otherwise I don't see the point, since it invites reversal.
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Here's mine without the plastic plug hooked up to it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Thanks, so it looks like it can be inserted backwards. I'm pretty sure it won't work backwards.

I wonder why there is that plastic connector housing, and only here?
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Yes I thought it was a one-way deal as well, until I saw the one that Donnie had posted. I'm going to turn mine around and see what that does.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Thanks, so it looks like it can be inserted backwards. I'm pretty sure it won't work backwards.

I wonder why there is that plastic connector housing, and only here?

It doesn't really matter which way the white plug is plugged in, in that it's the energizing coil for the relay. Power can flow thru it either way and work.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure what's going on, but I hooked up my test light to the blue wire with the ignition switch on, it was nice and bright. I then flipped the wires and hooked up my test light again, which would make it the white wire same terminal it was dim. I reversed them again and hooked up a known hot wire to the fuel pump terminal, still no fuel pump activity. So then I pulled the pump off and hooked it directly to a battery, come to find out the fuel pump was a little stuck, so playing with it a little bit got it unstuck now the fuel pump and the relay both work as they should.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FI fuel pump relay Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
So then I pulled the pump off and hooked it directly to a battery, come to find out the fuel pump was a little stuck, so playing with it a little bit got it unstuck now the fuel pump and the relay both work as they should.

This is the main reason why most of us have gone to the E2000 style pump. We do so, because we don't want to be stranded somewhere with a "stuck" pump. Rolling Eyes
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: