Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m restoring an ‘85 tin top in my barn and am looking for parts all over. I see lots of good stuff in the Part it Forward thread and classifieds that’s going to the dump or unsold if someone doesn’t claim it, and I can use it, but it’s in the wrong part of the country. Shipping would be ridiculous for things like bench seats or a set of wheels or a transaxle. I wonder how many of us would be willing to transport parts for gas money? Needless to say we’ll also get to meet more cool Vanagon people and keep more buses in good running shape.

If you will post up your location, areas you travel to, and any pending trips coming up.

Or post up if you need to get parts from point a to point b and are looking for someone to transport, and what you’ll pay.

I’ll start, I’m in Boone, NC but travel to Asheville, NC and Columbia, SC frequently. Also will make it to SC and NC coast this spring and summer. I have a Mercedes wagon and a Suburban til I get the Vanagon on the road so can move largish stuff.

Also I’d be happy to pay $100 in gas money for someone to move these wheels/ tires from member Keane in Laurel Springs NJ to me in NC.

I’m in the mountains but could drive down to mid state to meet someone coming through on a road trip. Or if you want to come to Boone I’ve got a sweet camp spot in the woods by a creek for you too.

Please share your thoughts and ideas!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Minneapolis MN - Jackson WY - Golden CO - Minneapolis MN

Feb 11 - March 3, 2018
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

^^^ That’s quite a winter trip! I hope you post pics. Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I cruise from NYC center, to Montreal north. Chicago west, PHL south, BOS north weekly. Not all points every week, but every month or so
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I travel from NYC/North Jersey to Albany/Manchester Vermont bi weekly.

NYC North Jersey to Ann Arbor; MI every few months along 1-80 through Clevenland and just north of Pittsburgh.

For your wheels, March 24th I will be traveling to Virginia Beach.. not sure if by land or by air yet. If by land I'd be happy to transport them at least that far south. Beautiful wheels.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I don't recall the details and it's not vanagon specific, but there is an online registry of travelers that will transport stuff. I learned about it at a tin can tourist get together. It seemed like a good idea. There is probably an app by now. Sorry I don't remember the details.https://www.roadie.com
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I live in marquette mi, I travel from the top of michigan to lower MI about once every month close to OH/IN. I can also talk the otherway around the lake and hit green bay, milwaukee, chicago.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ That’s quite a winter trip! I hope you post pics. Enjoy!

Sadly, my Vanagon won't be my Pony this time, as she is stuck on the floor behind the BlueBirdOfHappiness Cosmo van in mid SubiSwap...

Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I cruise from NYC center, to Montreal north. Chicago west, PHL south, BOS north weekly. Not all points every week, but every month or so

That's gonna be useful for somebody!
Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:

NYC North Jersey to Ann Arbor; MI every few months along 1-80 through Clevenland and just north of Pittsburgh.

For your wheels, March 24th I will be traveling to Virginia Beach.. not sure if by land or by air yet. If by land I'd be happy to transport them at least that far south. Beautiful wheels.

Sweet, let me know when you know if you are driving it, I can try to line up a way to get them from VA to NC.
Van Geaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I don't recall the details and it's not vanagon specific, but there is an online registry of travelers that will transport stuff. I learned about it at a tin can tourist get together. It seemed like a good idea. There is probably an app by now. Sorry I don't remember the details.https://www.roadie.com

Gonna check this out, thanks for the tip!
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

This is a good topic. I have some parts I am trying to send to the East Coast from San Francisco (Split Window front and side door shells)
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

[quote="Van Geaux"]
Marshj wrote:

Sweet, let me know when you know if you are driving it, I can try to line up a way to get them from VA to NC.[/quote

Ill probably be going down to Hillsdale Mi, which is about an hour away from AA (Ann Arbor) March 3-10 for spring break if wheels could get to me then I could get them to AA.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Must be a way to create a custom Google Map open to multiple users, where Sambanistas can plot their planned routes and save them with a few details (dates, contact info). Then others can quickly view the map to see if one of the routes/dates works for them to send/receive their parts.

Maybe this?
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-shared-collaborative-google-maps/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Probably many more are comfortable not publishing their routes to Googlestein

(1984 reference, not an ethnic slur)
wtbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Heading from Central Indiana to Columbia, SC April 6-7, and then from Columbia back to Indiana on the 8th! Would be happy help anyone who needs it.
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I am looking for someone coming from SoCal up to the SLO/Morro Bay area.

Maybe someone traveling for Syncro Fest??

I need a used transmission picked up in Canoga Park and I can meet you in San Luis Obispo or thereabouts. The tranny is used and might be a bit oily but I am sure I can have the shop get it boxed up with some layers of cardboard.

Let me know if you are interested and we can talk details.
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Bump to see if anyone is coming up to the Central Coast from SOCal and wants to earn some gas money to transport a transmission.

Peace.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a pan Reply with quote

This is probably hoping for a miracle but figured I'd throw it out there. Is there anybody that could move an IRS pan, minus the front beam, from the Bakersfield, CA area to southeastern South Dakota? It needs to be picked up before the end of this month. I'm willing to pay something. I listed it on U-Ship. So far I've had one quote of $1600! Shocked I'll drive out there myself to get it for WAY LESS than that. Rolling Eyes Was just hoping that by some odd fluke there might be someone headed my way. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a pan Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
So far I've had one quote of $1600! Shocked I'll drive out there myself to get it for WAY LESS than that. Rolling Eyes Was just hoping that by some odd fluke there might be someone headed my way. Very Happy

WILL YA now? Bakersfield to Sioux Falls: ~1650 miles. x2 is 3300. /15 likely mpg given a large rig or towing a trailer, 220gl of fuel @ $3/gl = $660. 3 nights in a hotel, $250. $910, ignoring 3300 miles of wear/tear on your rig. Let's pay you for those 48 hours of driving with the $690 remaining, $14/hr for your time. Mine's worth a lot more than that, YMMV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: