Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlakeNewToBugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

Hi all, I’m new to the samba and am looking forward to askin many questions! My first is that I have been looking around my area and noticing a lot of older bugs that are mostly bodies with not much else to them. Im an engineering student at the university of Tennessee Knoxville and love to build unique things from near scratch and was wondering if anyone has ever heard about throwing a Mini Cooper engine in the back of a beetle. I know it’s a pretty compact engine and tranny set up. My concerns if I were to attempt this would be if it may be just a hair too wide to keep the bug looking vintage? I’m a stickler for letting things stay old looking and would want to try and keep it original on the outside. Any suggestions or better ideas would be appreciated!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

Why Mini Cooper engine? do you happen to have one sitting in the garage or something? Engine swaps aren't unheard of, but a lot of people go with a Subaru since it's already a flat 4 and packaged fairly similarly to the VW engine. Rotary engines have been done too, again because they don't take up much room in the small engine bay.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
BlakeNewToBugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

The reason I’m looking at a mini is because I’ve seen a few recked ones that have been just rear ended. Not sure if they have the motor and tranny, but I’m sure I can find some scrapped somewhere if not. I’m trying to stay relatively cheap since i am in college, and have a small budget. Looking to start this and finish it up by the time I graduate, so gradually work on it but still stay cheap. the mini engine seems pretty tight but I’m scared if I tried to fit it that it could possibly bump into the exterior to where I’d have to modify outside the engine compartment space. I’ve seen the Subaru flat 4s but just don’t know if I could afford one. Not thought about rotary but I’m not too familiar with them so not sure how comfortable I’d be swapping for one ya know?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

I haven't heard of anyone swapping a Cooper engine into anything. There's reasons for that. First and foremost is that every-f'n-thing is computerized and tied to every system in the car. Unless you're really good at electronics I'd steer clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlakeNewToBugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

Being a college engineer student right now makes me have to learn a lot about computers and electronics right now, but that is definetly something I will take into consideration. Thanks for letting me know that. Any other suggestions for small engines that would be a good fit?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

To keep it somewhat simple, stay with an engine that you can get an adapter plate & flywheel for. Try looking at Kennedy Engineering Products for their list of available adapters & then look for a cheap donor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BlakeNewToBugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good advice!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle engine swap for rear mounted Mini Cooper engine? Reply with quote

Anything can be done.. look at http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=9bd7cd44bd7edc684da04a2da278ba49 for engines that others have installed. Keep in mind weight when you're doing a conversion - the more weight in the rear, the worse the handling will be, even to the point of being dangerous. Subaru is the common swap now, with stand-alone wiring harnesses and computers readily available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: