Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

On the way home from town my generator light started to come on at lower RPM. Above 2,500 it was fine. Inspected the generator and the brushes were worn out. Installed new brushes and presto the generator works again. However during acceleration the generator light illuminates then goes out. I am thinking the brushes just need to seat properly. Has anybody had this problem?

Thanks

Noah
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

I started my car and let it idle for about 30 minutes to give the brushes a chance to break in. That seems to have fixed the generator problems.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Well the generator problem returned. This time we removed the generator (easy job if you remove the nut holding the fan on). Installed a replacement armature (out of a used generator), new brushes, new bearings, and re-wrapped the field windings. After several days of driving have had no problems.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Stopped at McDonalds to eat lunch with my dad. That is his 2013 Passat TDI next to mine. It is one of the TDI's affected by the EPA cheating scandal. Because it is a manual transmission, VW cannot get a fix approved by the EPA and they sent him a letter saying he would only have the option of selling it back to VW. He is sad to see it go, he really likes the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

That's odd--I wonder why the manual transmission is a problem for the EPA?
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Awesome thread. Great build Wink
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
That's odd--I wonder why the manual transmission is a problem for the EPA?

My understanding is that when they reflash the computer on the automatic cars they also change the shift points. They can't do that on the manual cars.
Youriam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is a picture of the evaporator installed:

Refurbished Condenser Fan:

Hi Noah,
I see that your Underdash unit is the original VW part, I am having a 71bug and I am looking for an Underdash unit the same as yours, can you help me telling me where to find similar one these days, even from junk yards, if you can recommend me some shops to contact, as I am not living in the USA.
Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

AirDirect wrote:
Stopped at McDonalds to eat lunch with my dad. That is his 2013 Passat TDI next to mine. It is one of the TDI's affected by the EPA cheating scandal. Because it is a manual transmission, VW cannot get a fix approved by the EPA and they sent him a letter saying he would only have the option of selling it back to VW. He is sad to see it go, he really likes the car.

Get a new trans from here Idea

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emis...SKBN1H50GQ

Very inspiring resto since I grew up without a pop!

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghoster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Love the work you put in to this. I am getting ready to begin a 1972 rebuild that will one day be for my daughter. I have a question, probably missed it somewhere, but, where did you run the lines for the AC compressor form back to front? Kind of curious where they will fir and be protected.

Thanks for sharing this build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

The A/C lines run along the edge of the pan inside the running board.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Fuel pump died, could be the strainer in the tank, not sure yet.

AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Still my daily driver! Background is Mom's 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen, and dads 2015 TDI Passat.

webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Nice, been watching this since the start. Like that you have kept it stock all this time Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

Brr, it's December 1st, 2020, Winter has arrived in Texas! Car is running great, just installed a new set of tires.

musicman4283
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration Reply with quote

I found this thread by searching for help restoring a recently purchased 1971 Super Beetle. I must say, this is very inspiring seeing a guy much younger than I doing all of the same things I have questions about. Such a nice family effort.

Beautiful car! I hope mine turns out half as good. Thank you for posting everything. It is very helpful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: