Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

As the title folks ...... I've been looking on here and can't find the answer. Does the loom run through the channel, or does it drop into the strengthener below?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can shed any light. Appreciated Wink
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

Embarassed
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I thought until 65 they all ran through the roof?

Maybe you didn't read the title good, Wiring route on a 58 vert.

I am 99% positive the wiring didn't run in the vert support rails, I know my 56 is in the heater channel.
You might find your answer here.
The 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426481

A pic from laneven28 56 Vert.here is his thread also.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677262&highlight=
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
I thought until 65 they all ran through the roof?

Maybe you didn't read the title good, Wiring route on a 58 vert.

You might find your answer here.
The 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426481

Yeah. Sorry I was half paying attention. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift replies. I've found more photos of 56 down bugs with the solid wiring conduit, and all seem to run through the heater channel. Later 59, 60 and up seem to drop into the strengthener. I'm thinking maybe the change came with the flexi wiring conduit? Maybe my 58 (with flexi conduit) should drop into the strengthener after all. I'm still not 100% either though .........
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring route on a 58 vert .... help please Reply with quote

I am faced with the same situation. I am doing heater channels and lower conv supports on a 58 Bug. I didn't like the idea of hacking up my new heater channels to get the wiring harness down into the supports, and then have the possibility of not being to access the harness if need be in the future! So I decided to make an indented area for the wiring to run down to the floor up front, then run along the front to back groove in the heater channel which is the same thing the factory did but on the drivers side on later models. The early harness isn't very thick so it will fit nicely into the heater channel and wont be seen when the carpet is over it. Under the front hood it will look as it should disappearing down behind the support plate in the foot well and in the rear all you will see is the wiring coming up from down low as it should. Of course the purists wont like this idea, but it works much easier!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: