Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why flat windshields?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

This may be a question that may or may not have an answer, and/or might be fun to kick around, but, given the curvaceous overall shape of the Beetle, and what was already known about aerodynamics and fuel economy, why were they designed with flat windshields?

The rear glass was curved so that wasn't impossible, and VW eventually got around to curving the front glass in 1973, but I wonder why it wasn't a design feature from the beginning?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

Higher cost and no need.

It requires a drape mold to heat glass into a curve. More cost for a second mold.
Also it requires a more complex and expensive design to the front wiper arms to track the curve.
And....everything inside of that glass needs to be curved and farther from the glass, sucking up space.

The super got a curved winshield.....but it also changed structure in the front end a grew a dash 6 times as deep.

And.....the flat windshield worked fine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

Not only the front, but the rear glass was also flat in the first Beetles (the ones with the split rear window), for the same reason: cost.

Now, an interesting follow up question could be, why did the standard (non-super) Beetles introduce the very slightly curved "flat" front window in 1965? It's so slightly curved that you can't really tell it's curved, but it is because you can't use straight window wipers any more, you need the bendy ones. Was it a structural issue? More strength? Did it have to do with the increase in size of the windshield (and the other windows) in 1965?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Not only the front, but the rear glass was also flat in the first Beetles (the ones with the split rear window), for the same reason: cost.

Now, an interesting follow up question could be, why did the standard (non-super) Beetles introduce the very slightly curved "flat" front window in 1965? It's so slightly curved that you can't really tell it's curved, but it is because you can't use straight window wipers any more, you need the bendy ones. Was it a structural issue? More strength? Did it have to do with the increase in size of the windshield (and the other windows) in 1965?

I always thought the increased size simply required more "wrap." There was a specific glass area increase percentage reported for each window in the '65 ads- and it's amazing how much bigger the WS grew by visible area. By having the bigger glass go from X to X- the slight rework forced a curved opening(?). Think

Another theory regards glass quality- were they all safety glass (worldwide) by then? That slight curve likely increased the WS's strength by a huge margin.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

Do you also notice when your driving into the sun the flat(ish) windshield casts a glare on things? Like a bright white spotlight. I alway thought that pretty neat.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

I always thought the increased size simply required more "wrap." There was a specific glass area increase percentage reported for each window in the '65 ads- and it's amazing how much bigger the WS grew by visible area. By having the bigger glass go from X to X- the slight rework forced a curved opening(?). Think

Another theory regards glass quality- were they all safety glass (worldwide) by then? That slight curve likely increased the WS's strength by a huge margin.

European safety glass in 1965 is different than the laminate glass that was used in U.S. and Canada. When a euro windshield breaks it disintegrates into tiny pebbles. U.S. spec glass has a non hardening glue between two layers.
When the original owner of my 65 111 "A" Sedan had the car shipped by VW to the port of L.A. the car sat in U.S. Customs until the windshield, kilometer speedo, rear tail lamp lens with amber turn signals were changed. The owner did order the car with U.S. spec. headlamps and bumpers with towel racks to satisfy bumper height requirements, but he was unaware of the rest of the rules.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

Thanks, that all makes sense now. I hadn't realized the split window glass was flat. Each piece is so small that no curve was necessary. So the 1938-to-1952 design had no curved glass at all.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Thanks, that all makes sense now. I hadn't realized the split window glass was flat. Each piece is so small that no curve was necessary. So the 1938-to-1952 design had no curved glass at all.

Not true. The headlight covers were made of curved glass!

Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

There was some law around the time of The Thing which prevented manufacture of them past 1974. I thought it was due to the windshield and some other safety factor.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
There was some law around the time of The Thing which prevented manufacture of them past 1974. I thought it was due to the windshield and some other safety factor.

Pretty much most of what I've heard pointed toward the Thing production stopping because it didn't sell well. I doubt the flat windshield had anything to do with it -- ever take a look at the entire Jeep CJ series and Wranglers made with flat glass?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

I think they changed the Thing designation from an suv type vehicle to a passenger vehicle and there were different safety standards to meet. Ralph Nader had something to do with it. Possibly the sales figures had "someThing" to do with it too. Very Happy
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Pretty much most of what I've heard pointed toward the Thing production stopping because it didn't sell well. I doubt the flat windshield had anything to do with it -- ever take a look at the entire Jeep CJ series and Wranglers made with flat glass?

VWoA Sales where a mess by 74, and sales really have never recovered.
VW sold close to 500,000 cars in the US in 1970, but by 1975 they were down to 267,730.
In '74 VW started importing the Dasher(Passat), and in '75 the Rabbit(Golf), and 1975 was the first year for F.I. Beetles.
Also there was pretty good rumors that roll over protection was going to be required, pretty much killing convertibles.
So I doubt VW had any interest in Federalizing VW Things for '75
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
kawfee wrote:

That's a good point. I was told it was safety laws. Jeep is a good comparison.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

From everything I've read, the Thing was classified as some kind of off-road or "utility" vehicle rather than a "car" and therefore had more slack safety regulations.

Lee Iaccoca pushed to have the Thing classified as a "car" and therefore it no longer met the safety requirements of a car. There may have been more, but I know at least one was not the flatness of the windshield, but distance of the driver front seat passengers faces to the windshield. I once saw a letter VW wrote that pointed out all the off-road capabilities that the Thing had despite being 2WD in an effort to show that it shouldn't be classified as a "car." Unfortunately that didn't work and the classification was changed, killing the Thing in the US.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why flat windshields? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
From everything I've read, the Thing was classified as some kind of off-road or "utility" vehicle rather than a "car" and therefore had more slack safety regulations.

Lee Iaccoca pushed to have the Thing classified as a "car" and therefore it no longer met the safety requirements of a car. There may have been more, but I know at least one was not the flatness of the windshield, but distance of the driver front seat passengers faces to the windshield. I once saw a letter VW wrote that pointed out all the off-road capabilities that the Thing had despite being 2WD in an effort to show that it shouldn't be classified as a "car." Unfortunately that didn't work and the classification was changed, killing the Thing in the US.

That...and tbe main fact that without a huge level of redesign.....the Thing could not meet the 5 mph crash test requirement.
Off foad vehicles did not have to meet these specs. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: