Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
99Eurovan144K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

Shifting out of park issues. Have to pump brake/play with shift handle button until it finally engages out of park.

Brake light works about 10% of the time. Brake fuse ok I assume (with brake light on, I can pull brake fuse to kill brake light).

Those two electronic circuit/pistons on the brake pedal arm: when I manually manipulate them, same intermittent brake light results.

There is also an intermittent solenoid clunking coming from the shifter case.

Thanks for any help! (Again Very Happy )
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

99Eurovan144K wrote:
Shifting out of park issues. Have to pump brake/play with shift handle button until it finally engages out of park.

Brake light works about 10% of the time. Brake fuse ok I assume (with brake light on, I can pull brake fuse to kill brake light).

Those two electronic circuit/pistons on the brake pedal arm: when I manually manipulate them, same intermittent brake light results.

There is also an intermittent solenoid clunking coming from the shifter case.

Thanks for any help! (Again Very Happy )

The top switch is for cancelling the cruise control http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Cruise_Control_Brake_Switch

Sounds like all your intermittent problems are caused by the brake light switch next to it. http://europarts-sd.com/switch-brakelight1992-2000.asp
99Eurovan144K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

Many thanks!
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

I installed a new Brake light switch and the problem seems to be solved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

I had the won't-shift problem, even with my foot hard on the brake pedal, while partway through re-doing the dissolved subfloor. in my Winnabego. I posted a Q on this site then, (can't find it using key words today), but the answers did not involve any pictures or step-by-step moves to find the offending part (likely the switch that signals a - what, electromagnet?) that would normally allow the shift. So I left it for another year --hame on me). DOES ANYONE know sof uch a detailed description to get my shifter working? The floor is fine now-- so it's time to use the rig as the weather warms. Thanks for any help, Chris near DC, aka pinetreeporsche
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
I had the won't-shift problem, even with my foot hard on the brake pedal, while partway through re-doing the dissolved subfloor. in my Winnabego. I posted a Q on this site then, (can't find it using key words today), but the answers did not involve any pictures or step-by-step moves to find the offending part (likely the switch that signals a - what, electromagnet?) that would normally allow the shift. So I left it for another year --hame on me). DOES ANYONE know sof uch a detailed description to get my shifter working? The floor is fine now-- so it's time to use the rig as the weather warms. Thanks for any help, Chris near DC, aka pinetreeporsche

This should solve your shifting problems. It's the brake switch, just follow the brake peddle arm to the first switch, replace it and you should be fine. The switch cost me $9.00 and 10 minutes of time to install.
https://vweurovan.fandom.com/wiki/Cruise_Control_Brake_Switch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

Bug-guy (?)- Thanks for the link, but it goes to a short piece on cruise Control switches on the brake pedal. AQnd re: the $9 switch- did it come from VW?-- will the parts guy at my local VW shop be able to help? If not, where do I go to look-- GoWesty/ Bus Depot etc?
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

https://europarts-sd.com/switch-brakelight1992-2000.asp
Very easy to install yourself. Read the note in RED in the part description.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

When I called Go Westy about the "Neutral Safety Switch", they didn't have one and couldn"t say when/if they would. But the "Go" parts guy I got was very helpful, mentioned that he used to drive a tow truck, and that most automatics have a disabling mechanism for the n s s-- incl my '97 EV. Said it's a hidden thing to push on by hand or w.a screwdriver tip when readying the van to be towed-- or even driven w/o further shifting till you drive it to your destination. Some kind of hiden thing place on the shifter- just forward, it seemed from his description, of the shifter itself. I went out to the van and there is nothing in front of the slot where the shifter moves fore and aft. I tried to get him back, but GoWesty is notorious for being hard to get through to. I was going to ask if he meant when you're on your back under the van, not in it at the shifter. SO: HAS ANYONE SEEN and USED this disconnect switch or button??
. But that (by-passing the safety interlock at the shifter- allowing the van to be moved to a tow truck or a dry spot to service it) is only part of the problem. The GWesty guy suggested I try Europarts in San Diego for the switch, but they only work via the internet, and the online catalog identifies only the "neutral safety switch" at the tranny, not the activating switch, and the one they identify says it's only available as part of the whole shift activation of the tranny.
So if Mr Bug or anyone else has acquired the safety switch (even if for much more than $9, please point me to their source. And if anyone has disabled the safety switch so the van can get itself home or to a shop, please give details.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Will not shift out of park/brake light will not engage Reply with quote

rcBug- Sorry- I was phoning the Calif. shops and writing up the long bit I just sent, and only after saw your latest. SO_-- the switch for releasing the tranny is also the switch for the brake light? And I assume you haven't seen the secret place where the shifter can be freed up till the repair is made?
And sure enough, Europarts wasn't using the term Neutral Safety Switch, but just "brake light switch"-- who knew!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: