Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A good vacuum will hold, till you let up on the brake the first time with the engine stopped.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A Mightyvac can't produce the volume to keep up with a booster in action, if you can get someone to hold the pedal down while you pump the mightyvac you may be able to pull a vacuum on it in the depressed position before your hand cramps up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok got it.

Third stupid question of the week, does it matter where the oil filter return hole on the inside of the external oil filter mount is oriented? I ordered the wrong oil filter mount (ports facing wrong way) and had to made a bracket to bolt the thing upside down.. Now I see that the hole for return oil is on the TOP of the bracket, will oil return through it without issue?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It doesn't matter, the whole cavity is filled with oil when in use.
I would have made the bracket so the filter faced down myself, or faced the filter towards the front. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It doesn't matter, the whole cavity is filled with oil when in use.
I would have made the bracket so the filter faced down myself, or faced the filter towards the front. Wink

Why's that? Curious.
The filter is tall, it's a Bosch ST3500 It would hang low if it pointed down.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

*X*X*X*X* Supply should be on the outside of the element and the return should be up through the nipple in the middle. *X*X*X*X*
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
*X*X*X*X* Supply should be on the outside of the element and the return should be up through the nipple in the middle. *X*X*X*X*

Ahhh yes, never looked that closely, from the pump on the outside, to the engine bearings in the middle.

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looking at pictures I noticed that the silver thingy to the right of the swing lever arm, the bottom one, has no wires connected to the push-on connector. Question is: what is connected to the one that has wires and what should be connected to the bottom one (if anything should be). I’ve looked in the wire diagrams and the Muir books and I can’t find it. Heck, took me a while to find the English name for “swing lever.”
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:

Looking at pictures I noticed that the silver thingy to the right of the swing lever arm, the bottom one, has no wires connected to the push-on connector. Question is: what is connected to the one that has wires and what should be connected to the bottom one (if anything should be). I’ve looked in the wire diagrams and the Muir books and I can’t find it. Heck, took me a while to find the English name for “swing lever.”

That's your brake master cylinder, the silver thingys are the switches to operate the brake lights. Some systems only have 1 switch, when the optional "brake system warning light" is added to the dash 2 switches are required to operate it, does your bus have a small circular red (often yellowed or faded to clear) light on the speedo cluster that's labelled "B" somewhere between the speedo and heater levers?

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
tonysantacruz wrote:

That's your brake master cylinder, the silver thingys are the switches to operate the brake lights. Some systems only have 1 switch, when the optional "brake system warning light" is added to the dash 2 switches are required to operate it, does your bus have a small circular red (often yellowed or faded to clear) light on the speedo cluster that's labelled "B" somewhere between the speedo and heater levers?

It has the hole for what I think could be that, yeah. Cool, that takes care of that question.
Could you help me with another one? What was bolted here, on the arm/base to the left? And what is the middle cilinder abive the disconnected parking brake lever?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The cylinder directly behind and above the parking brake is the front end of the shifter tube.
The brackets on the inner side of the RH frame rail aren't something you find on German made buses, maybe mounts for the rare optional "La Cucaracha" air horn?

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The cylinder directly behind and above the parking brake is the front end of the shifter tube.
The brackets on the inner side of the RH frame rail aren't something you find on German made buses, maybe mounts for the rare optional "La Cucaracha" air horn?

Hee hee. Thanks for helping filling in the gaps. The shifter had some serious play, hopefully the mechanic took care of that. I’m leaning towards a short shifter (?) ‘cause I don’t want to rap my knuckles every tie I shift to third.

Damn, on that bracket, I’ll need to dig deeper.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
tonysantacruz wrote:

It has the hole for what I think could be that, yeah. Cool, that takes care of that question.
Could you help me with another one? What was bolted here, on the arm/base to the left? And what is the middle cilinder abive the disconnected parking brake lever?

I don't have that arm/ base on the left. Nothing connected there.
Well, that is where your parking brake lever connects through the floor..

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AircooledHome wrote:

I don't have that arm/ base on the left. Nothing connected there.
Well, that is where your parking brake lever connects through the floor..

Looks like my lever is missing the bottom part.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like you two have earlier model buses Wink

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Hee hee. Thanks for helping filling in the gaps. The shifter had some serious play, hopefully the mechanic took care of that. I’m leaning towards a short shifter (?) ‘cause I don’t want to rap my knuckles every tie I shift to third.

Damn, on that bracket, I’ll need to dig deeper.

Make sure that the coupler between the shift rod and the tranny is good. Don't know what you may have available to you down south, but there are good couplers and cheap worthless couplers being sold up here in the states. You can always bend the shift lever a bit if necessary to keep the knuckles away from the dash/parking brake handle.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well, today I learned that there used to be a cover for that bracket that I found.
Apparently, it's pretty rare:

Tolva Cubre-Pedales, known as "pedal-covering funnel/hopper".
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe rare in MX, but pedal pans aren't hard to find in the US and Canada.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Me like. Thanks, busdaddy. So it takes two? One per side? Or is one big enough to cover them?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Me like. Thanks, busdaddy. So it takes two? One per side? Or is one big enough to cover them?

These pans have different shape according to the model year. For your Mexican Combi you should find another of the same year and get a picture and some dimensions. Without the cover if you can snag the steering on a rock, fallen tree limb, or other road debris and get your arms ripped apart.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 356 of 515

Jump to: