Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Very cool and those rear cabinets look pretty nice!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

What a find! Can't wait to see how the paint buffs out and the bus with the tent setup.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

That's awesome, congrats! Can't wait to see what you guys do with it.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Another Sisyphean task that you two will defeat again!
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

The work Greg put into just retrieving this bus is something else.
Look forward to the build.
Congrats! it couldnt be in better hands now
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

i shrink wrapped the top half of my old 21 window when i sold it off to CA prior to the shipping company arriving. From what the buyer told me that kept water from coming in through the uncovered roof as well as from getting in the safaris. I doubt Greg had the time or warmth to do that up in alaska though
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Neat bus - congrats. I live vicariously through you two... but wouldn't need to if I only had the space to put such fun finds! Looking forward to seeing more on this one...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Clara I believe you and Greg are officially the Prince & Princess of Westfalia, I just love this. And your fleet of Westy's get the dedicated attention to mechanical detail by yourselves. What great role models for all of us.

Cologne (Köln) is the largest city of North Rhine-Westphalia

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara wrote:
Tuesday the 9th January Greg got a 6am flight with Kukko drum puller and brake parts and Carhartt cold weather work wear packed. The deal is that the transport company required it to have a working hand brake and foot brake. The weather forecast had highs below freezing, maybe of 20ish, and lows just under zero F. Sunrise was about 10am, sunset about 4pm. Seller said he could get it moved from his back yard to his work, where there were big trucks stored inside. So Greg could work in a somewhat warmer area. Unfortunately, the bus didn't actually get to the shop till after Greg got there, so Greg went and got lunch.

These are pics he sent me.

It does indeed look pretty complete, (yay!!!!) and mostly unmolested. Damage from weather and a bunch of dings. It probably looked better when parked. Looks like someone took an axe to the nose. It has the cabinet in the back, no fridge. Tow hitch is American, not westy. Back bumper is severely tweaked. Mainly og paint, think a little touch up was done. Engine was a 36hp a year newer than the bus, and did not rotate. Definitely a special paint bus, and the paint is pretty strong.

Greg got the brakes working, and put a drivers door handle on it.

wow!

Greg went over to the sellers house to see if any parts were there. Bus had two og paint rims on it, he found a third leaning on another bus. Another wheel was flat on the ground, but it was frozen to the ground. He couldn't tell if it was for this bus or not, as it was face down. After 15 minutes trying to get it loose Greg gave up. Too freaking cold.

He packed the tent in his suitcase and got a flight home late that night.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

What a great bus! I can't wait to see that paint all cleaned up

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Clara I believe you and Greg are officially the Prince & Princess of Westfalia, I just love this. And your fleet of Westy's get the dedicated attention to mechanical detail by yourselves. What great role models for all of us.

trivia: the (awesome) Dome of Cologne holds relics of the 3 kings.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Thanks Linda. Smile

The Köln cathedral is simply amazing and truly awe inspiring.

FWIW, The bus has a sticker from Elmendorf AFB which is near Anchorage.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

Gerson, Joe Ruiz and Bob Cropsey?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
mandraks wrote:

Gerson, Joe Ruiz and Bob Cropsey?

right! i was thinking Elvis, Michael Jackson and Richard Petty, but i yield to you

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Bus is in great hands. Congrats!

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Any update on this great Westy? More pics of the tent as well!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Clara shot a few hundred photos of this bus before putting it in storage, and then realized there was no memory card in the camera. Oops.

There has been no progress on this bus over the past year, our recent relocation, a ton of housework on two properties, and doing our best to keep up with our customer demands has taken priority over our personal projects. I hope to find time for this bus down the road - no speculation as to when.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Such a killer Westy!!! Congratulations!!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Clara shot a few hundred photos of this bus before putting it in storage, and then realized there was no memory card in the camera. Oops.

There has been no progress on this bus over the past year, our recent relocation, a ton of housework on two properties, and doing our best to keep up with our customer demands has taken priority over our personal projects. I hope to find time for this bus down the road - no speculation as to when.

At least its not that hard to take more pics. Very Happy

Link
vtomike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the table brackets where they mount to the seat base?

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Great find.. looks like it was worth the effort.

Trevor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: