Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stork Oil Temp Guage Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
Has anyone ever seen this Stork Oil Temp gauge? It is the mechanical dip stick style and it has a green light what the oil is to cold and a red light when the oil is to hot. When I got it the seller said it was NOS and the gauge holder came with the gauge and looks to have always been with the gauge. When you slide the gauge out of the holder there is clean ring around the gauge where the holder was.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We offer similar gauge holders by Aircooled Accessories , they come in black , ivory or chrome.
Check my ads here on The Samba.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have these two VDO temp gauges, as they go to 120°C, could these both be oil temperature ones?

Anyone familiar with these VDO's?

Thanks!

Peter

tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_KG wrote:
Hi,

I have these two VDO temp gauges, as they go to 120°C, could these both be oil temperature ones?

Thanks!

Peter

The first pic is of a water temperature gauge, so it's not for a VW. The redline on the dial is at 100 degrees Celsius (boiling point of engine coolant) so it's only for water cooled engines. The second pic is of an industrial temperature gauge that can be used for either oil or water temp applications, but not designed for VW.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Gauges Reply with quote

My short 12 year experience searching for a specific VDO gauge tells me one thing. VDO was prolific in producing gauges for numerous auto manufactures.
If you can by number on back of gauge determine a time span in years, then Google images of different car (European mainly) makers may lead you to the exact automobile your gauge was produced for. The VDO archives in Frankfurt has limited info left that gives the facts you need.

I don't think VDO had a long run of producing any one gauge even for one car manufacturer.
bigdish2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Just picked up this March 54 vdo clock. Not many this old posted on here.

In the stash

1954 & 63 Vert
1956 Dove blue camper
(2) 1958 23w deluxes
1958 PGSG 11w og paint
1958 logo dd panel
1959 dove blue 11w
(5) 15w deluxes
(2) 1960,63,65 double cabs
1963 swr/bg 11w og paint
1964 limo bus 350 powered
1964 SO36 Dormobile flipseat Westy
1966 (2) so42’s og paint
1969 (2) porsche 912s
1969 dart swinger 340
(3) Porsche 911s sunroof,targa,cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: VDO Gauges Reply with quote

tstracy39 wrote:
Peter_KG wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Peter

The first pic is of a water temperature gauge, so it's not for a VW. The redline on the dial is at 100 degrees Celsius (boiling point of engine coolant) so it's only for water cooled engines. The second pic is of an industrial temperature gauge that can be used for either oil or water temp applications, but not designed for VW.

VDO oil-temperature gauges commonly have 50~150 ºC temperature scales, although there were some on various Audi cars which were calibrated up to 170 ºC.

On German E-bay, I have seen some VDO temperature gauges with calibrated scales of 60~200 ºC, but I have yet to discover their intended application.

For at least 30 years, VDO have been making 40~120 ºC temperature gauges and a variety of matching sender units with different screw-thread sizes; some with a temperature-switch (various switch temperatures) incorporated to activate a warning light or audible warning device.

For a pressurised liquid-cooling system (typically 13 or 15 psi above standard atmospheric pressure), the boiling point of pure water exceeds 100 ºC.

Various mixture proportions of water & antifreeze (typically glycol) have different boiling points, which exceed 100 ºC at standard atmospheric pressure.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-boiling-point-of-water-607865

http://www.compoundchem.com/2016/03/22/boiling-point/

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Not the kind of gauge you can put in the dash, but pretty cool nevertheless
Bowmonk acceleration and brake gauge - measures in % of G.

In use:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Until recently, mine was the only VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' instrument (i.e. VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer) I have come across, but I have since discovered a few more on E-bay.

52 mm VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer

52 mm VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 7000 rpm engine-tachometer

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 50~150 degC oil-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 40~120 degC water-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -30~0~30 A ammeter

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -25~0~40 degC ambient-air temp gauge

I also recently discovered a VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 120~350 ºF oil-temperature gauge listed in The Samba Classified advertisements as follows:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1893001

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Here is a VDO combination accessory gauge unit of a type I have never previously seen, which incorporates a fuel gauge and oil-temperature gauge. Although I cannot see any measurement units specified, I deduce from the number scale that the oil temperature is being measured in degrees Fahrenheit; much favoured in the USA, but declining in use even here in Great Britain where the metric system is now the norm for most things.

VDO combination fuel & oil-temperature gauge unit

I found it recently listed on British Ebay, for a prohibitively high asking price of £265 + shipping, but I thought you might be interested to see this example, which the vendor says he originally bought for his 1954 VW Beetle.

VW Camper Van / Beetle fuel & oil temp gauge made by VDO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Camper-Van-Beetle-Fu...Sw4CFYodKl

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Here is a VDO combination accessory gauge unit of a type I have never previously seen, which incorporates a fuel gauge and oil-temperature gauge. Although I cannot see any measurement units specified, I deduce from the number scale that the oil temperature is being measured in degrees Fahrenheit; much favoured in the USA, but declining in use even here in Great Britain where the metric system is now the norm for most things.

I found it recently listed on British Ebay, for a prohibitively high asking price of £265 + shipping, but I thought you might be interested to see this example, which the vendor says he originally bought for his 1954 VW Beetle.

The asking price has now been reduced to £195 + shipping, which is still extremely expensive

Nigel A. Skeet

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

The asking price has now been reduced to £195 + shipping, which is still extremely expensive

That gauge was made by VDO for '58-'61 beetles. It fits at the top middle of the dash. It is also bulky, ugly and not desired by many people if anyone. It is a neat item, but not nearly as precious as the ebay seller thinks it is.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

That gauge was made by VDO for '58-'61 beetles. It fits at the top middle of the dash. It is also bulky, ugly and not desired by many people if anyone. It is a neat item, but not nearly as precious as the ebay seller thinks it is.

If I had had a vehicle for which it was appropriate, I might have stretched my budget to maybe the equivalent of US$50 for one of those, but by my standards, even a reduction to £195 + shipping, would be a silly price. Rolling Eyes

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Until recently, mine was the only VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' instrument (i.e. VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer) I have come across, but I have since discovered a few more on E-bay.

52 mm VDO Cockpit 'Night Design' alternator-sensed 0~6000 rpm engine-tachometer

52 mm VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 7000 rpm engine-tachometer

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 50~150 degC oil-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 40~120 degC water-temperature gauge

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -30~0~30 A ammeter

VDO Cockpit "Night Design" -25~0~40 degC ambient-air temp gauge

I also recently discovered a VDO Cockpit "Night Design" 120~350 ºF oil-temperature gauge listed in The Samba Classified advertisements as follows:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1893001

Here are a few more that I discovered recently, that have been listed on British E-bay for some time, at an asking price of £200, which is too rich for my taste:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-GAUGES-OIL-PRESSURE...rk:41:pf:0

VDO Cockpit "Nightdesign" 0~10 Bar oil-pressure gauge

VDO Cockpit "Nightdesign" 8~16 V voltmeter

VDO Cockpit "Nightdesign" 50~150 ºC oil-temperature gauge

Nigel A. Skeet

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

My VDO shop counter display.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
muffler bearing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Anyone know a little about this one?

75 Riviera
Yes, I do have a Bentley.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

muffler bearing wrote:
Anyone know a little about this one?

Radatron Space Saver Dancing
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

I got hold of an old 6 V tachometer made by VDO: 85/1/10
There are 3 pins: the one in the middle is marked G, the ones left and right of it have no indication, and there is a screw with the ground symbol

I want to test it with an adjustable resistor. Is it correct to connect (+) with pin G and (-) with ground?
What are the other pins for?
Any idea what the blue T means?

Thank you
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

kalymnos wrote:
I got hold of an old 6 V tachometer made by VDO: 85/1/10
There are 3 pins: the one in the middle is marked G, the ones left and right of it have no indication, and there is a screw with the ground symbol

I want to test it with an adjustable resistor. Is it correct to connect (+) with pin G and (-) with ground?
What are the other pins for?
Any idea what the blue T means?

Thank you

Have a look here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568158&highlight=5000+tach
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Thank you for the link, IN2VWS.
So the tach is fed by the current of the tiny dynamo.
I don't have this dynamo, but there must be a way to drive the tach by reading the frequency at the coil (contact 1) and converting the signal into current, like modern tachometers do.
I would never install the tiny dynamo in my car, but I would like to own one though.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

Nigel A. Skeet, “How to: Fitting an Oil-Pressure Gauge-Sender, Installation Adapter, to the Type 4 Engine”, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 17, Winter 2004, Pages 44~45.

When I submitted this article (which was based upon my own investigation of the then readily available new & second-hand parts that could potentially be used as installation adapters), I marked the photographic prints on the back to show which edge was at the top, and coloured the text for the picture titles and captions in RED & GREEN respectively. Sadly, the magazine layout designers appear to have COMPLETELY ignored my guidelines, so several pictures are incorrectly orientated and it’s more difficult to read and interpret the article than it should be!

At the time, I had not long since completed two supplementary part-time courses in desktop publishing and graphic design using Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator, so I knew what could reasonably be done! Fortunately, more recent issues of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine (first published in Winter 2000, there have now been 147 issues so far, which were originally quarterly, then bi-monthly and finally monthly) are much better laid out these days.

www.volkswagencamper.co.uk

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: