Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Safari Owner Saying Hello
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Hello all! Proud new owner of my 1978 Safari. Always wanted a Thing and since we have a home in Playa del Carmen my wife and I decided this was the perfect beach car! In Mexico, the price was right (and there are still plenty of parts).

For all you gear heads, you will notice that the Mexicans don't worry too much about emissions.

Great shape. Drives like a new car (almost). Previous owner did a great job restoring the car.

Looking forward to learning from the brain trust here!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Welcome!! Looks very nice! Very Happy
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Nice! Bienvenidos.
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Congratulations, really nice car and I'm still pretty new to the VW Thing community as well. But I really think you should it an air cleaner. For the sake of other drivers, passengers and the health of your engine.
'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

bent_karma wrote:
Congratulations, really nice car and I'm still pretty new to the VW Thing community as well. But I really think you should it an air cleaner. For the sake of other drivers, passengers and the health of your engine.

Agreed...plus seat belts! It will be a work in progress but it doesn稚 need much! Thanks!
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Gonzo181 wrote:
bent_karma wrote:

Agreed...plus seat belts! It will be a work in progress but it doesn稚 need much! Thanks!

Like yours my Mexican Safari/Thing didnエt have any seat belts when I bought it.
There are mounting points front and rear for lap belts. I got some 3 point belts from an 90s Bug and used the roll bar to mount them.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Wow its beautiful. Cool

(Drop in that missing piece of rear engine tin to keep your motor from overheating)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone. I知 going to bring the engine up to US Standards just because. Appreciate the seat belt info as well. I have no roll bar so a 3pt strap could be a challenge, but will figure something out. The Policia here are always looking for a reason to pull someone over and no seat belts are high on their list...
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Gonzo181 wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I知 going to bring the engine up to US Standards just because. Appreciate the seat belt info as well. I have no roll bar so a 3pt strap could be a challenge, but will figure something out. The Policia here are always looking for a reason to pull someone over and no seat belts are high on their list...

Hey gonzo it looks like you have some kind of 1inch+ tubing? What is it?
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

guppysoup wrote:
Gonzo181 wrote:

Can you please be more specific?
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Gonzo181 wrote:
guppysoup wrote:
Gonzo181 wrote:

The black tubular metal running up the post between the doors.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

My friend is in Mexico visiting from Canada. He has been riding around in a safari. The owner wanted to raise the front end height. He noticed that the ball joints were not both facing down like a Thing.

He looked at 3 others and they were the same. Did the mexican Safaris use a beetle front beam and spindles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

Found my answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gonzo181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Safari Owner Saying Hello Reply with quote

guppysoup wrote:
Gonzo181 wrote:
guppysoup wrote:
Gonzo181 wrote:

The black tubular metal running up the post between the doors.

Sorry for the late reply. All of the doors have new weatherstripping. That is what you see in the photos. Here's a few more...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: