Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: engine problems Reply with quote

Hi All. I have a problem with my rebuilt 30 hp engine.

Problems started with cold weather. It has strange rattling sound,like points has not adjusted, has no power and ice shows under carburetor. recently I noticed like oil is dipping from oil filler down trough generator stand. After a while , I assume when it gets hot( which is hard in cols weather) performance improve sound becomes better power returns but not as it was in the summer when it was perfect.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: engine problems Reply with quote

Carburetor icing. You probably need to clean out the heat riser pipe that is attached to the intake manifold.

Even then you are probably going to have icing problem now and then due to not having the pre-heat for the air cleaner like the 34 bph, 1300/1500/1600 cc engine have.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: engine problems Reply with quote

As for the oil coming out of the gen stand, you should check if you have the oil deflector inside the stand.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: engine problems Reply with quote

My oval is possessed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuel hose is damaged ,gasoline is dipping drop by drop and there is ice nest forming at the rupture.

So this means that i have water in gasoline, fuel tank?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: engine problems Reply with quote

It means that there is moisture in the air around you. As the fuel evaporates off the temperature drops enough to cause water to get to to dew point, condense, and freeze there.

Just like when one puts on cologne/perfume, and your skin gets that icy tingly feel. That is the alcohol evaporating off.

Replace ALL the flexible fuel line now and again in two years, and again two years later... Start a log book or maintenance sheet to keep track of when you did stuff like that and when you need to next do it.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: engine problems Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
It means that there is moisture in the air around you. As the fuel evaporates off the temperature drops enough to cause water to get to to dew point, condense, and freeze there.

Just like when one puts on cologne/perfume, and your skin gets that icy tingly feel. That is the alcohol evaporating off.

Replace ALL the flexible fuel line now and again in two years, and again two years later... Start a log book or maintenance sheet to keep track of when you did stuff like that and when you need to next do it.

thanks already replaced fuel hose.

And excess oil at generator stand was due to too much oil in engine as I had wrong (later) oil level stick in my engine so more oil in engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: