Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Oh, also I was noticing an issue on that Portland drive - occasionally when shifting into first from a stop, it will grind a bit. And yes, I do have the clutchall the way in, at a complete stop. Didn't seem tragic, but sometimes it also won't shift down to second or first from third, not sure about fourth. Very rarely does it happen, but it does. I have to shift back into whatever gear I was in to shift down usually, or be stuck in that gear even.

Check the transmission fluid level, as it might be low. To do that you'll need a 17mm Allen wrench.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Check the transmission fluid level, as it might be low. To do that you'll need a 17mm Allen wrench.

Wouldn't that be for an Automatic? I have a manual still.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Manual transmissions also have 80-90 weight gear oil in them up to the 17mm plug on the side or they will burn up.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Manual transmissions also have 80-90 weight gear oil in them up to the 17mm plug on the side or they will burn up.

Ohhh, okie dokie! I'll check it out tomorrow at lunch at work.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Yes, and if the fluid level is low, it can make for hard shifting, and whining.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

So, having another issue here. Took a drive to Portland last night and had my first REAL breakdown. On the drive, about 55-60mph, I started getting surges. I pulled off into Tigard and the car shutoff entirely at the stop. I barely started again and limped over to a Taco Bell parking lot, shut off the car, and he'd not start again. The oil was full, as I'd given him a change the other day ago, and the battery connections are fairly clean and well tightened. After setting for a while, checking spark plugs, adding just a bit extra oil, checked the fuses, etc, the car still wouldn't start. I couldn't even get the parking lights or lights to work. I sat longer, about 20 min total, and he started again, but continuing the trip I still felt the surges.

On the way home from the trip, I felt none, utterly fine with an extra person and some luggage in the car. What might be wrong?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You might have crud/rust in your fuel tank and/or fuel filter causing fuel starvation.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Run the Voltage Regulator tests outlined in Bentley. You could also have a worn brush in the generator.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well with those last few issues fixed, I've moved on and gotten those Huls camping hinges out of the 70, however I'm wondering how and if you can place them on a 72 seat, or perhaps I'm missing parts. They look strange, to me, and the 72's hinge pins are hollow, which makes me wonder how to get them out and if they'll fit the huls pins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pics of the hinge area and seat bottom for reference. They're confusing looking and I didn't see a ton of info on setting em up. If they won't transfer over to a 72, I'll end up selling them at this year's Bug Run or Bug In.

Edit: On that note, if I do need an earlier seat for these, does anyone nearby-ish (Oregon or very south WA) have a decent, white, earlier model seat and seat cables for sale?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Contact Toby Erikson, he's in the Portland area, and has those same camping hinges in his Orange 72 Square. He's also got a write up on installing them, but I don't have a direct link available to it.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Contact Toby Erikson, he's in the Portland area, and has those same camping hinges in his Orange 72 Square. He's also got a write up on installing them, but I don't have a direct link available to it.
I hope this helps.

Thank you Bob, as always everything helps Very Happy I'll try and contact him soon, I did see an old Post with a website for installing them, and i believe it said I had to use an early model seat due to the cable mount difference.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Does anyone have reccomendations for removing the carpet glue? I see a lot of answers for Rabbit stuff and wanted to know what y'all think I should do, as I'm ordering new carpet here with the money I made off the Automatic square I sold.

In other news;
Where is the inline fuse for the rear defroster and backup lights located? I had realized they have fuses somewhere back there while looking at the wiring chart for fun, and neither work, so I'm hoping that's the issue.

I'm working on sourcing an earlier model rear seat bottom for those hinges to go into. I'll be keeping my stock one and original hinges in case I ever want to sell off the hinges and seat.

I got the roof rack on! I don't have the slats in as they're being redone by my mother, but it still looks great up there and doesn't fit half bad. As he told me, you do have to pull on the legs a little to get it just right, but for a New Beetle rack it seriously fits well, and the emblem's paint is a perfect match to mine.

Cars and Coffee has been great fun! Got a lot of attention today, lots of nice cars there with me.

And as I said I sold the automatic square I had bought for what I feel was a fair price. Also sold some spare parts I had, including that bug beam from when I owned Oliver.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Does anyone have reccomendations for removing the carpet glue? I see a lot of answers for Rabbit stuff and wanted to know what y'all think I should do, as I'm ordering new carpet here with the money I made off the Automatic square I sold.

Either 3M adhesive remover, or GOOF OFF.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Alrighty! I had seen both suggested a few times but a lot of other stuff too, so I'll try these out first.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

With the money from selling the AutoSquare, plus taxes coming in finally, I've ordered a buncha stuff just to make Blue a little nicer! New back seatbelts since mine don't want to come out of their rollers, chrome handbrake handle for fun, new carpet kit, a new ebrake boot, an antenna for when I get a radio sorted, new sun visor clips, caps for the windshield wipers that I didn't even know existed, stainless steel trim kit from ISPWest, and I'll be ordering some mesh headlight covers soon!

Enjoy some photos. I really need to get a nicer camera!

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Alrighty! I had seen both suggested a few times but a lot of other stuff too, so I'll try these out first.

This has also been suggested with good results:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005RNGN8I?tag=viglink129040-20
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Noticed something today - occasionally at speeds over 50ish (usually 53-60) I'll get shaking in the steeringwheel. NOTE: The front doesn't shake side to side, it's perfectly stable and honestly the car practically drives itself, it seems to ONLY be the steering wheel. Could this be due to the earlier model steering wheel? Can this lead to issues? Again, there's NO signs of the actual wheels turning at all when this occurs, it just happens in the steering wheel.

Also some squeaking up front at low MPH driving in suspension-y areas, like the train tracks in town. Probably not anything important but only started occurring recently, or at least is only now noticable.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Maybe that could be the steering damper
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Likely the upper torsion arm needs adjustment:

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed something today - occasionally at speeds over 50ish (usually 53-60) I'll get shaking in the steeringwheel. NOTE: The front doesn't shake side to side, it's perfectly stable and honestly the car practically drives itself, it seems to ONLY be the steering wheel. Could this be due to the earlier model steering wheel? Can this lead to issues? Again, there's NO signs of the actual wheels turning at all when this occurs, it just happens in the steering wheel.

Check the entire front end/steering.
Sounds like a loose tie rod end, to me,but could also be the steering damper or upper bar adjustment, as Donny and Andy mentioned.

Quote:
Also some squeaking up front at low MPH driving in suspension-y areas, like the train tracks in town. Probably not anything important but only started occurring recently, or at least is only now noticable.

I had the same issue after driving in the rain. Turned out that water had gotten to the front shocks, spraying some penetrating lube up onto the rods shut them up. You might also want to grease the front beam, the squeaking might be a sign that it's due.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 24

Jump to: