Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wanted to know if any Samba members could help out a fellow VW enthusiast?
I live in Florida, but I am interested in buying a Bus that's in El Paso.
The seller has sent pictures but nothing beats a neutral pair of eyes.
I'm asking is if there is anyone that is willing to look the Bus over for me. I will pay for his/her time. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Kevin
(863)697-6562
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Well not sure but 400 miles is sorta nearby.
I feel there are some member in the area.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Hmmmm.......I agree.....sorta nearby.

I appreciate it though. hahahaha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Anybody?

I guess this is a no go then.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Less than 24 hours and you are already quitting? No one likes a quitter. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Well not sure but 400 miles is sorta nearby.
I feel there are some member in the area.

Sounds like a road trip for you and Cusser. Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

I've never really seen anyone active in the bus or other forums from El Paso or Las Cruces. Austin is pretty vibrant with the aircooled scene with many folks on The Samba from there.

I lived in EP for a number of years and air cooled VW's were not that common anymore.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Fly into EP and look at it in person. The seller might pick you up at the airport & deliver you back there the next day to fly home. We did that for a buyer of one of our cars.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Possible help:
Look up the zip code for El Paso and then search classifieds on the site around that zip code.

Pick someone with a lot of ads in that area - they are usually more knowledgeable and may be willing to make a few bucks checking something out.

I did a quick search for you and these 3 guys have had a good amount of ads on the site
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Art+Guerrero
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Guadalupe+Azar
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=stingray

They all have feedback threads too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

I didn't think about the classified seller way. I did the club search and sent the few i found some emails but no answer.

It just so happens that someone who just started where I work is from El Paso. I talked to her yesterday afternoon and she is going to ask 1 of her brothers to go look at it for me. I told her I would pay and she laughed. She told me her brothers will not accept money, only Beer. Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Just a thought but what credentials should a person possess to evaluate an automobile? If they miss something important where’s the liability? Are they still your buddy? Would you gamble that a beer drinkin good ol boy knows what to look for?

There are in fact appraisers who do this for a living and carry insurance should a problem arise later. Unless I had known a person for years and were very comfortable with their training and expertise I’d either do it myself or hire a professional. At the very least a car needs to be examined on a lift with very strong lighting, brake drums off. Beware of heavy undercoating, fresh paint and body work and especially people in a hurry or those wanting to ply you with beer or drugs.

Better mechanics will pull a plug or two and examine internally with borescope. Depending on how much money is trading hands I’d sure as hell be careful, just last week scam convertibles showed up for sale here. Proceed with caution. Hemming’s Motor News has dozens of licensed and bonded appraisors and pre purchase inspection services... or just wing it and hope for the best Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

You make a good point but I think it depends on what you want.

I've looked at a few cars for people and it usually came down to me going over there and checking some specific things they wanted checked and generally verifying what the seller was saying. I usually took a ton of photos too, if the seller was either lazy about details or just so the guy could have a bunch more photos of stuff I thought looked important or interesting.

I told them they should I assume I don't know what I am doing unless I stated otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I told them they should I assume I don't know what I am doing unless I stated otherwise.

Words to live by, right there.
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

I have received many pictures. I was just looking for someone to give it a once over, in person, with fresh eyes. No matter how many times I've examined the pictures, someone else looking in person never hurt anything. No matter if they know VW's or not. I will give specific areas to look at and pay attention to.

I, by no means, am an expert like some members on here. But I've had a few Buses over the years and I believe almost any person can look a vehicle over to some extent.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

Good luck
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

I live in EP, let me know if it doesn’t work out with your friends brother, I could find some time to check it out for you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone live in or near El Paso, TX? Reply with quote

If the pictures look good and everything else checks out just hire someone to go look at it. There are professional services to do this.

You can see into Mexico from El Paso. Lot's of access to aircooled cars there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: