Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Yes, definitely grease the beam, before you do anything else.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Wow! Okie dokie, thank you all! I'll talk to the mechanic at work today about getting it done, as we have some space in the shop to slip my car into.
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed something today - occasionally at speeds over 50ish (usually 53-60) I'll get shaking in the steeringwheel. NOTE: The front doesn't shake side to side, it's perfectly stable and honestly the car practically drives itself, it seems to ONLY be the steering wheel. Could this be due to the earlier model steering wheel? Can this lead to issues? Again, there's NO signs of the actual wheels turning at all when this occurs, it just happens in the steering wheel.

It's highly unlikely that the steering wheel itself if to blame here.

Often times, oscillation/vibration can be caused a rotating assembly...

How old are those tires? Have you had them balanced? It would be worth checking the runout on your wheels too.

How are your brakes? Any surge in the pedal or shake in the steering wheel when you're slowing down?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Boogievan wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Noticed something today - occasionally at speeds over 50ish (usually 53-60) I'll get shaking in the steeringwheel. NOTE: The front doesn't shake side to side, it's perfectly stable and honestly the car practically drives itself, it seems to ONLY be the steering wheel. Could this be due to the earlier model steering wheel? Can this lead to issues? Again, there's NO signs of the actual wheels turning at all when this occurs, it just happens in the steering wheel.

How old are those tires? Have you had them balanced? It would be worth checking the runout on your wheels too.

How are your brakes? Any surge in the pedal or shake in the steering wheel when you're slowing down?

On that subject, a long time ago this happened to me with the shifter.
It would shake at similar highway speeds.
Both rear tires exploded from age-related cracking soon afterward, within 1 mile of each other, on the freeway
So if the tires are pretty old or look cracked, replace them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Boogievan wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Both rear tires exploded from age-related cracking soon afterward, within 1 mile of each other, on the freeway

Jeez! I better take a look then. I have some tires on the centerlines I bought that I can have thrown on if need be.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Boogievan wrote:

I don't know how many times that I've had/found a vibration due to a bad tire. Belts like to slip as they age, and cracks in the tread pattern are normal for some tires like Michelin or BFG as examples. I've had some tires that were covered in small weather checks, that were only on the outside, but when date checked, were found to be over 7 years old.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

With a heavy heart, my dog had to be put down today. Nothing has been done on the car recently.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Sad

Very sorry to hear - it's a hard day when you have to make that decision...

Hang in there Exclamation
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Sad

Very sorry to hear - it's a hard day when you have to make that decision...

Hang in there Exclamation

Thank you. Unfortunately it had to be a swift decision. It was a very serious issue that popped up early in the morning and could have killed him within the day. He was old for a Great Dane and we stayed with him until the end.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I've got new problems. The engine has started losing power big time. Not being able to idle without almost dying, sounds funky, and dying in first when taking off unless you rev for about 1.5 sec / 2 sec. I'm not sure what's up. I've also changed the oil and put in a new handbrake, which I did do recently, and am going to start on carpet in about two weeks.

The brakes are also much squishier than before installing the new handbrake now, and I'm assuming it's because my handbrake cables aren't tightened as much as they used to be. Pulling the handbrake to the first notch or so seems to make the pedal less squishy. I still have no clue why my brakes are so squishy, but I do know I need new front calipers and rear shoes, which I'll fix and get soon.

Any idea on the engine? I'm assuming my timing has somehow changed, as it'll occasionally gain power and feel / sound normal, but in sputters. Sometimes it will also run completely normal. It starts and runs fine but it's just super low on power and doesn't feel or sound right, something's definitely wrong.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Put a timing light on it and see how far it's off. Double check the valve clearances too.

Sorry to hear about your dog.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Very sorry about your dog, that's never an easy thing to go through.

My guess on the brakes is that the shoes need to be adjusted out, so they're closer to the drums. Sounds like the wheel cylinders have to travel too far before the shoes make contact with the drums, and pulling the hand brake up a notch is kind of compensating for it.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Thanks y'all, both for the kind words and the advice. I found the issue with the engine, the dizzy rotor has burned out and was on it's last leg, thankfully getting me home. I'm picking up a new one from DiP ASAP on Saturday, as I'll be around there anyways.

As for the brakes, that sounds about right. I'll grab my new shoes and install them and adjust them this weekend probably.

Edit: Aaaand after changing the rotor the car now won't start at all. Oh boy.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

That's why you're supposed to do a cap AND a rotor together.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

That's why you're supposed to do a cap AND a rotor together.

Apparently. Back down to DIP it is, tomorrow. Also apparently I can't get plates or register Frau, the bus, unless it's there. Which I don't think is right, since I didn't have to take Blue in to get either. But oh well.

Nor can I transfer old Yellow/Blue plates even though I was told by two other DMV's I could.

Edit: Hmmm, got the new cap on and he still won't start. He does try to fire but doesn't want to go. Not sure what's wrong there. In other news I put his battery in Frau, the bus, and get her running and titled/registered.

Oh, and would anyone happen to know why my starter is constantly stuck on my bus Frau? If you do the roll back in third trick she starts fine, but every time you stop and turn off the engine, the starter is stuck when you go to start again.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

So, think I may have found the issue...

Since Blue didn't want to start, I threw the battery in Frau, the bus, and got her registered and whatnot. After 2-3 trips out, the battery died entirely. On the plus side, thinking it was the starter again, messing with it fixed the sticking! Rolling Eyes

I'll have Blue's battery charged soon, as I've already gotten a new one for Frau. Hopefully it just didn't have enough to star Blue, and barely enough to get Frau going. Hopefully....
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Thanks y'all, both for the kind words and the advice. I found the issue with the engine, the dizzy rotor has burned out and was on it's last leg, thankfully getting me home. I'm picking up a new one from DiP ASAP on Saturday, as I'll be around there anyways.

As for the brakes, that sounds about right. I'll grab my new shoes and install them and adjust them this weekend probably.

Pull the rear drums & inspect/adjust them up tighter. You can replace the shoes later.

Good on getting Frau registered! I figured you'd have to tow Frau to the DMV. Twisted Evil

Your generators putting out 13.5+ volts at idle? Easy to replace the $1.50 brushes.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

I got Blue running! However, he'll only run very rough and with the gas pedal being pressed. If you let go he dies. I think at this point it's some timing. I also filed the points lightly and set them again, cleaned up the plugs and, though they were correct, made ABSOLUTE sure that the plugs were going to the right place. He'll live again, I'll make sure of it! Very Happy

For now, Frau is becoming the main project. I just blew 600$ on new tires for her after a flat that toasted the tire. Thank the PO for the spare being good!. Hurt and would have rather spent it on some other stuff, but it had to be done.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

You've been trying for a year to get Blue running/stopping good! Better bring it down & let Tram work his magic on it. You won't be sorry!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Blue" '72 Square build from a newbie. Reply with quote

Well I drove Blue to the shop today, and our master mechanic hasn't a clue. He hasn't worked much on VW's, and none on Fuel Injected ones. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. He ran well enough to get there, but my timing adjustment has him idling a bit too high, he feels like he surges between low and high power, and I don't know what to do.

Also, swapping from driving a bus back into a squareback feels really REALLY weird. Especially since Blue's clutch is most of the way up, and Frau's is all the way down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: